Who wouldn't you rather play in Finals? St Kilda or North?

Remove this Banner Ad

jakethesaint

Rookie
Jun 22, 2014
Okay so hear me out on this one guys...

We are all assuming that North make the finals while the Saints slip agonisingly short. Even so, I'm very curious to know who your club (if your club was playing finals, of course) would rather not play in week 1 of the finals? Which of the above two, is the bigger threat come September?

Would North with there plethora of ageing experience carry them through to another Prelim final or even further?

OR

Would a young and exciting St Kilda side with serious pace and god forbid, some belief, surprise a few sides?

Whilst I don't think North are going to progress very far in the finals series, they are a more finals ready team than Saints this year and they probably showed the other good teams in the competition just how to shut down StKilda's run two week ago.

North Melbourne. The Saints were shite against us (but still won lol) but North actually played some good footy when we played them.

Well I've been underrating St Kilda consistently. On the other hand I have nightmares about a cold and depressing night at Spotless last year.
Ummmmm
Saints because I know our guys will fancy their chances against North on our revenge tour this year, but by a whisker. North stepped up a gear in finals last year so it's a hard call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on our games this year, I'd take St Kilda. To be fair, St Kilda's game against the Crows looks like a bit of an outlier compared to their other results in the last 2 months.

Our best shot at getting into the finals was ten days ago and North were too experienced and hardened and managed to play the game on their terms.

When we had our chance, we didn't take it.

Hopefully the side will get better in doing that as it matures.

Building nicely though.

Provided we beat Sydney I really don't care if we make the finals.

So what exactly does that prove Jeff ???? Great insight.:rolleyes:

You come out and beat a proven finals side this week who currently sit second on the ladder, are mooted as a realistic premiership chance and have not been out of the top 8 in this competition for **** knows how long. So your not ready ???? Oh ! If we beat Sydney that's as good as making the Finals !!!! Something to hang your hat on ? Who are St Kilda trying to emulate ? Richmond ? :rolleyes:

So what exactly does that prove Jeff ???? Great insight.:rolleyes:

You come out and beat a proven finals side this week who currently sit second on the ladder, are mooted as a realistic premiership chance and have not been out of the top 8 in this competition for **** knows how long. So your not ready ???? Oh ! If we beat Sydney that's as good as making the Finals !!!! Something to hang your hat on ? Who are St Kilda trying to emulate ? Richmond ? :rolleyes:

Playing Sydney at Docklands in a home & away match isn't anything like playing them in a final.

We need to start winning these types of games at home regularly before we're a real finals chance. Especially against teams that are traveling. We're after scalps and this is a chance to get one. Nothing more than that.

Wouldn't matter who we were playing out of the top 8, I'd be saying the same thing. Christ Sydney fans are paranoid.

As for making finals, I'm not sure falling-in and getting belted is good for a developing team. It's easy to assume that the next year finals are a given. We couldn't beat the currently placed 8th team last week so why would we think we can do better than them this year?

North dispensed with the saints very comfortably only about 10 days ago.

They are simply the better side at the moment
Not so sure about that. We were missing our usual spark in that game, weren't tackling and pressuring like we usually do and also basically kicked ourselves out of any chance when the game was there to be won (were 2 goals 10 at one stage), while North were playing some inspired footy and you could tell they were really up for Boomer's big game. They were taking hangers left right and centre and it was obvious that Petrie in particular was really playing for his great mate and we just didn't have the height down back to handle all of Petrie, Brown and Waite.

We choked in that game, but the experience would have done us good and hopefully we learned a fair bit about what not to do.

North have won 2 (both against bottom 10 sides) of their last 8 games, while we've won 6 of our last 8 games, with two of our wins being against the then-top team Geelong, and the Western Bulldogs, so to say they are the better side at the moment might not be all that accurate.

Very likely that we'll get McCartin back this week, too, after he kicked 5 in the VFL on the weekend, and he made us a better team when he was playing for us prior to his latest concussion and could very well again this time, also freeing Riewoldt up to go back to the wing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back