Who wouldn't you rather play in Finals? St Kilda or North?

Remove this Banner Ad

Both would get blown away interstate.

Our best chance would be Geelong finishing 5th and getting an elimination final at the G.

I think st kilda would struggle against anyone purely out of a lack of finals experience, it would be a level of intensity they haven't faced before. I'd see them suffering the same fate as north 2012 who picked up some huge wins in the 2nd half of the season.

We might be one of the few teams in the comp that hasn't suffered a humiliating defeat yet, think our worst losing margin this season is a little over 30 points. Whilst we are no threat to top 4 we could have 1 big September performance in us left as unlikely as it seems now.

I'd prefer St Kilda not to make it, because it would mean they've beaten the Swans this weekend. But apart from that, I don't think it really matters as whichever team does take out 8th will get thumped in the first week. At least the Saints could do something unpredictable ...

I'd prefer St Kilda not to make it, because it would mean they've beaten the Swans this weekend. But apart from that, I don't think it really matters as whichever team does take out 8th will get thumped in the first week. At least the Saints could do something unpredictable ...

Not sure how you could confidently predict that considering north would go into the upcoming finals campaign with a stack of September experience and did damage from 8th last year.

Not sure how you could confidently predict that considering north would go into the upcoming finals campaign with a stack of September experience and did damage from 8th last year.
A very key component of your good finals performances last year and then again in the first 9 rounds this year though was the dominant form of one J Waite. Problem for you is that he's kicked just 2 goals 4 in his last 5 games, missed a bunch of others due to injury and is now out again for however long.

He made you guys a goals better side when he was playing really well and it's hard to see how you'd be able to get back to being a team capable of winning finals if he's not playing, or playing and not doing much.

Unfortunately the Kangaroos have gone a bit backwards on last year, despite being likely to finish in the same position. They definitely did better than expected in the finals, although a lot of people predicted the revenge match against the Tigers would go your way and you were almost favourites against the Swans in the Semi as well, due to us limping our way into September (you outplayed us too, I'm not trying to take away from that). There just isn't the same momentum this year and I think the long season has taken its toll on your older players, who seem in retrospect to have maybe gone on a year too long.

Unfortunately the Kangaroos have gone a bit backwards on last year, despite being likely to finish in the same position. They definitely did better than expected in the finals, although a lot of people predicted the revenge match against the Tigers would go your way and you were almost favourites against the Swans in the Semi as well, due to us limping our way into September (you outplayed us too, I'm not trying to take away from that). There just isn't the same momentum this year and I think the long season has taken its toll on your older players, who seem in retrospect to have maybe gone on a year too long.
Agree 90% but not due to form with our old players it's more injuries Petrie is the only older bloke that had dipped form, don't feel like we will be any good till we get our full side we arnt like the bullies and other teams that can replace them at ease.
If we have to go interstate we are in deep shit.

Would LOL at the AFL/Gill if North finds itself in a position to manipulate the ladder again and lose to the Giants in Round 23 so that the Giants can get into the Top 4, forcing a Vic side, such as Geelong, into 5th, so that North get to stay in Melbourne in Week 1 (Sunday final at the MCG).
Wouldn't mind playing gws in Sydney, we wouldn't do that no chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would LOL at the AFL/Gill if North finds itself in a position to manipulate the ladder again and lose to the Giants in Round 23 so that the Giants can get into the Top 4, forcing a Vic side, such as Geelong, into 5th, so that North get to stay in Melbourne in Week 1 (Sunday final at the MCG).
A bit risky, St Kilda play Brisbane after North play GWS.

North dispensed with the saints very comfortably only about 10 days ago.

They are simply the better side at the moment
dispensed? Probably didn't watch the game did you, saints lost it themselves with poor kicking along with your clubs best mates ensuring there was no tantrum after the game from north losing

Watched it and North were easily the better side.
On the night they certainly were, in particular because they took more of their opportunities, but it doesn't change the fact they've won just 2 of their last 8, while we've won 6 of our last 8, or that we've won two against current top 3 teams during that time, while North have not beaten a single top 8 team during that period.

Suggesting that they are currently the better team because of what happened in that particular game doesn't really make a lot of sense. I'm sure you wouldn't rate Melbourne as a better team than Hawthorn at the moment just because they beat you on the weekend.

The Saints would get absolutely blown away if they make it into finals. Admittedly, we might too, but it's less likely.

North's average losing margin in finals in the 2000's is 72 points. It's quite a remarkable stat.

Saints beat the Dogs recently ... and Dogs beat North ... I'd still much rather play StKilda. They are not ready for finals yet
And you lot are after your marvellous run at them last year?

North will make it BTW. Highly unlikely we will make it.
Sydney? We werent good enough to beat North let alone Sydney.

not entertaining the thought with St.Kilda until I see them beat Sydney this w/e
If we don't beat Sydney, North still can't afford to throw a game because we can still get them on percentage if we win by enough against Richmond and Brisbane. If we do beat Sydney percentage doesn't matter and North can't throw the game at all.

The real question is what do North do for the next 3 weeks? Go all out and try to win and risk some beltings or be conservative and play defensive to minimise loses and preserve their percentage advantage?

St Kilda don't have a choice we need to play for the win and not to try to minimise the loss.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Who wouldn't you rather play in Finals? St Kilda or North?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back