Who's closer to a flag? Adelaide, Port Adelaide or Fremantle?

Who wins their next flag before the others?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Odd poll results
Not really considering the poll is going since 2019. 4 years are a huge difference in AFL. Port made won a minor premiership in 2020 turned cold after 2021. Then we had a good 2022 and until month ago many thought we had a good list to be future contenders (if not now then from next year on). But things have changed again, so people will probably start voting Adelaide now...

Not really considering the poll is going since 2019. 4 years are a huge difference in AFL. Port made won a minor premiership in 2020 turned cold after 2021. Then we had a good 2022 and until month ago many thought we had a good list to be future contenders (if not now then from next year on). But things have changed again, so people will probably start voting Adelaide now...
West Coast might end up winning another premiership before any of these sides so. They're the only non Victorian club to win a premiership without concessions, and they've done it twice in 2006 and 2018.

Port and Crows were aided by start up concessions when they won their flags, and Sydney benefited from COLA when they won theirs and now benefit from their academies.

West Coast might end up winning another premiership before any of these sides so. They're the only non Victorian club to win a premiership without concessions, and they've done it twice in 2006 and 2018.

Port and Crows were aided by start up concessions when they won their flags, and Sydney benefited from COLA when they won theirs and now benefit from their academies.
West coast won a flag in 2006 with a priority pick in 2001. Pick 3 was Chris Judd pick 6 was Ashley sampi.

The only way I see any of those 3 non Vic sides of Freo , crows or port get another flag is they pray their grand final opponent is a non Vic side.

So.... Tassie comes in as the 19th side and another non Vic side is team 20

Port and Crows were aided by start up concessions
What were these alleged "concessions" for the Crows? The Crows did not get any initial national draft picks, in fact they were excluded from the national draft for two years after joining. This was in exchange for allegedly "exclusive" access to SANFL players (who up to that point had not been part of the national draft anyway) but even that apparently didn't include Robran and Darren Jarman.

Port could easily drop like the dockers did this year.

Teams that make top 6 likely end up with a harder draw.
Fremantle 2022/2023 are very similar to Melbourne 2018/2019.
Make finals for the first time after years rebuilding in the wilderness, before backing it up with a poor season the following year due to a tougher draw, opposition teams putting more work into them.
Fremantle should bounce back next year or the year after like Melbourne did.

Make finals for the first time after years rebuilding in the wilderness, before backing it up with a poor season the following year due to a tougher draw, opposition teams putting more work into them.
Yes and No...

Demons in 2018 made finals, they were slowly building from 2014 onwards.

Demons had paul Roos in 2014-16. 4 wins in 2014, 7 wins in 2015 and 10 wins in 2016.

Should of made finals in 2017 but finished 9th. Made finals in 2018, won 2 finals. They finished 17th in 2019 because they had injuries.

2020 the demons narrowly missed out on finals, 2021, the demons got the flag.

Dockers in 2022 got 15 wins and a draw and won a final. In 2023, dockers were 14th with 10 wins and 13 losses. Dockers were not crippled with injuries. I hope the dockers make finals in 2024. But if they get 9th to 11th, I wont be fussed as long as they make finals in 2025-7.

I don't think you can discount how awful Freos trade/draft period was last year - on top of a retiring Mundy. That's a lot of best 22 lads who left.

I don't think you can discount how awful Freos trade/draft period was last year - on top of a retiring Mundy. That's a lot of best 22 lads who left.
Do you think Fremantle are ahead of the Crows in their rebuild?
They should be given they've been rebuilding for longer but it feels like both sides are on a par now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should be given they've been rebuilding for longer but it feels like both sides are on a par now.
Will be interesting to see how both sides go next season.

Think Crows have gone past Freo for now, but not much in it.

The crows will go past Port next year without a doubt
No, crows have a couple of defenders already injured for the start of 2024 season. There midfield is one paced also.
Port will be top 4 again crows 7 - 10
Port will sure up the defence during the trade period. Georgidies will be like a new recruit and wines might actually have a preseason this time.
So ports list next year will be better than this year. The question will be whether ken will do a choco and have the last laugh at those who have potted him or fail again in finals. Will be interesting to watch.

Adelaide's trajectory looks the most promising, but need the right pieces. Should challenge for top 4 next year and could contend as early as 2025.

Feel Port have overachieved and their window (if it existed) is fast closing. Will drop next year and fade into mediocrity again with this squad. Will fall down before rising again.

I'm not sure our purple brothers can find the consistency they need to rise out of mediocrity. Need some big list changes. I won't begrudge them a flag for their fans if they do. Think they're at least 2-3 years away if they do everything right.

I think par is generous for Fremantle. To many personnel losses in the last 2-3 years on top of Adelaide hitting on some big trade acquisitions and finding a solid identity.

They were building something genuinely intriguing - especially if they added Jackson w/o the losses - but I wouldn't be too surprised if they had a bleak 3-4 years ahead of them now.

Adelaide are getting better.
Port have peaked.
Freo, well they are just Freo.
Agree. Crows now entering their window about 6 tough years. Could be one of the bolters we normally see each year when a team from outside the 8 makes the top 4. The other two: forget it. Port won their flag in July and have been in a hangover since….

I think par is generous for Fremantle. To many personnel losses in the last 2-3 years on top of Adelaide hitting on some big trade acquisitions and finding a solid identity.

They were building something genuinely intriguing - especially if they added Jackson w/o the losses - but I wouldn't be too surprised if they had a bleak 3-4 years ahead of them now.
Shows you how things can change in 3 or 4 years.

If this was 2020-21, Freo were slowly trending upwards while crows were in the bottom 4.

Yes I am still surprised crows were wooden spooners in 2020. They were not that bad.

Should of not gone 0-13. They should of won 2 or 3 games in the 1st 10 games. Had they done that, crows would of got 5 or 6 wins and 14th , 15th or 16th spot.

They probably would of got Riley Tilthorpe anyway.

2022, dockers made finals and won a final while crows slowly were on the way up.

Sucks that Freo are losing decent players which will likely to cost Freo a finals spot next season and possibly the coaches job.

Crows looks like contending for finals for 2024-29.

Port.... Well they might spend 2024-25 Finishing between 5th to 12th

Port are technically the closest but they are still missing a fair few pieces to truly compete and i don't believe they have much time in their current window. They may need to bob down for a quick mini rebuild to stack onto their already formidable young talent.

Freo looked like they were in a good spot but appear to be going backwards, they seem to bleed players faster than they can fill the holes.

Adelaide look to be building rather nicely, I'd put my money on them personally.

Last edited:
Port are technically the closest but they are still missing a fair few pieces to truly compete and i don't believe they have much time in their current window. They may need to bob down for a quick mini rebuild to stack onto their already formidable young talent.

Freo looked like they were in a good spot but appear to be going backwards, they seem to bleed players faster than they can fill the holes.

Adelaide look to be building rather nicely, I'd put my money on them personally.
and this is the key... I agree with your post....

The SA sides look in a better position. Both SA sides dont look like losing best 22 players on a regualr basis, especially the Vic ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's closer to a flag? Adelaide, Port Adelaide or Fremantle?

Back