Who's closer to a flag? Adelaide, Port Adelaide or Fremantle?

Who wins their next flag before the others?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Port having a new coach is going to do wonders. If they lose to the Crows, Ken won't see the season out (will be sacked before the bye weekend)
Port can't sack Hinkley to next year under the AFL rules.

None of them are winning anything with their current coaches.

Port Adelaide may be a chance next year if they turf Hinkley, we've seen the difference having a competent coach has made to Carlton and I rate Port's list higher than Carlton's. However Hinkley is contracted until the end of next year and I can't see Koch pulling the trigger sooner than that because it'd mean Koch falling on his own sword.

Adelaide are probably the side furthest away from playing finals again let alone contending for a premiership, there's no way Nicks is surviving long enough to see a finals appearance let alone a flag. They're already into their 5th consecutive season without playing finals and it's likely going to take another five years for them to be good enough to play finals again.

Fremantle are ironically much like St Kilda in that Ross Lyon stuffed up the list to the point where the rebuilt list post Ross Lyon is good enough to peak as a mid table side at best without challenging for a premiership, they'll most likely have a season like St Kilda's 2020 where they make finals once without contending before ultimately having to start another rebuild with another coach.

Damian Hardwicke says hi.

Can't sack a coach with more than a year on their contract if you have got extra funding assistance from the AFL.
I’ve never heard of that rule and a quick google search does not return anything on it.

he only has one year left on his contract.

Also the Afl changed the rules so coaches get paid out a maximum of 6 months.

Also what is this “extra funding assistance” bullshit?

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of that rule and a quick google search does not return anything on it.

he only has one year left on his contract.

Also the Afl changed the rules so coaches get paid out a maximum of 6 months.

Also what is this “extra funding assistance” bullshit?
Happened about 2 years ago when covid hit & all but a few AFL clubs needed AFL financial assistance with covid. Crows were 1 of a few clubs that arranged debt themselves. The AFL put some spending rules with the assistance, that included not allowing coaches to be paid before they had a year on their contract remaining.

This was 2 years ago, so may be this has been wiped since.

Happened about 2 years ago when covid hit & all but a few AFL clubs needed AFL financial assistance with covid. Crows were 1 of a few clubs that arranged debt themselves. The AFL put some spending rules with the assistance, that included not allowing coaches to be paid before they had a year on their contract remaining.

This was 2 years ago, so may be this has been wiped since.
I doubt that continues on for years

And Hinkley only has one year left on his contract.

There’s also a chance that final year has a performance clause, as he’s had them in past contracts.

The biggest roadblock to port getting rid of Hinkley isn’t any of that stuff, it’s the fact the afl stacks our board so that they don’t really have to answer to port members.

Can't sack a coach with more than a year on their contract if you have got extra funding assistance from the AFL.
Even if this was true, as if a coach is going to turn around and go "oh right, the members are dumping manure on our door, the players hate me, and I'm a roaring failure. Too bad you signed me for two years, I'll pack my desk when there's 6 months to go thanks!"

Also I doubt any coaches get "sacked", they'll take a payout and agree to having their contract terminated... Pretty basic stuff.

Freo have an abundance of Young Talent on the list. Their Young Midfield looks to be very good.
Adelaide are 20 years away, and Ports stars are about to hit retirement age and will make their way down to the middle of the table for the next 10 years

Freo have an abundance of Young Talent on the list. Their Young Midfield looks to be very good.
Adelaide are 20 years away, and Ports stars are about to hit retirement age and will make their way down to the middle of the table for the next 10 years
Feel free to list the “stars” at port that are at retirement age.

Due to playing as a cripple for the best part of his career gray has just been a cream on top player for us for a couple of years now.

Lycett is not a star, we’ve got a better ruck in the sanfl waiting.

Jonas is not a star, he’s a super reliable negating player who we already upgraded by brining in Alir.

McKenzie isn’t a star, he’s a decent enough first 22 player to home down a spot.

Boak is a star, and will be missed. But he hasn’t been out best midfielder for a while and it’s arguable butters has gone past him as well.

Dixon, while not a star is a damn good key forward and we rely on him. We have 3 other kfs ready to go (one of who is a young star) and it’s only hinkleys dumb gameplan that forces us to rely on Dixon.

We have less aging stars that Adelaide, and we are less reliant on our oldest players than Adelaide.

Certainly tightening up between Freo and Port. Port could easily finish top 4 for the next three years and not get it done. Dixon ageing out, Boak surely can’t keep backing up to same level at his age. Wines great but really at his peak now. It’s really down to that super draft, can Rozee, Butters and Duursma bridge the gap between excellent point of difference players to become the best in the competition types.

Freo a few years off but all the pieces are in place now. Just need to bide time.
After freos games vs the crows and saints, now i think the dockers are further from the flag compared to port and the crows. Here's why........

Games are won and lost in the midfield. And i look back on how freo fared vs Carlton in 2021 and they got thrashed twice mainly because freo were bashed in the middle.

Freos best 4 inside mids are a 36 year old david Mundy, a 30 year old Fyfe, a 22 year old Brayshaw and a 20 year old Serong. Those are our match winners. Had all 4 been in that 23-28 year old age bracket, i would be confident of Freo making finals.

But with Mundy almost done and Fyfe getting old, Brayshaw abs serong not yet in their prome, seems freo has to finish outside the finals spot to get more depth and quality in the middle.

We also had a 22 year old Adam Cerra traded to Carlton. Serong is a Victorian and is out of contract in 2023. I assure you 3-5 Victorian clubs will look at him. Losing Serong would be another fatal body blow for freo.

Freos drafting in the rebuild has been good but flawed, Specifically the 2016-7 drafts. KPPs were a priority hence guys like Logue, darcy, cox and meek were recruited in those years.

Had freo got a couple of 18-20 year old inside mids in that 2016 draft, they would be 24-26 years old now.

Freo in 2017 got Brayshaw and cerra in the draft. I wished freo used a late pick or a rookie pick for a couple more inside mids as they would be in their 5th year now.
Again..... Yeah freo have young talent like Brsyshaw and serong.

Whos to say both could do a cerra and move back to Victoria?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After freos games vs the crows and saints, now i think the dockers are further from the flag compared to port and the crows. Here's why........

Games are won and lost in the midfield. And i look back on how freo fared vs Carlton in 2021 and they got thrashed twice mainly because freo were bashed in the middle.

Freos best 4 inside mids are a 36 year old david Mundy, a 30 year old Fyfe, a 22 year old Brayshaw and a 20 year old Serong. Those are our match winners. Had all 4 been in that 23-28 year old age bracket, i would be confident of Freo making finals.

But with Mundy almost done and Fyfe getting old, Brayshaw abs serong not yet in their prome, seems freo has to finish outside the finals spot to get more depth and quality in the middle.

We also had a 22 year old Adam Cerra traded to Carlton. Serong is a Victorian and is out of contract in 2023. I assure you 3-5 Victorian clubs will look at him. Losing Serong would be another fatal body blow for freo.

Freos drafting in the rebuild has been good but flawed, Specifically the 2016-7 drafts. KPPs were a priority hence guys like Logue, darcy, cox and meek were recruited in those years.

Had freo got a couple of 18-20 year old inside mids in that 2016 draft, they would be 24-26 years old now.

Freo in 2017 got Brayshaw and cerra in the draft. I wished freo used a late pick or a rookie pick for a couple more inside mids as they would be in their 5th year now.
Disagree, you still have a stack of great talent to come. For mine you just have to add a few parts but the glut of a premiership side is there.

I really rate your youth. O'Driscoll, Erasmus, Brayshaw, Johnson, Serong, Clark is a hell of a big midfield, when they are all 25+, you will bully teams. Young and Chapman are defensive studs. Need Amiss to develop, Treacy could be a decent 2nd or third tall forward and Benning has a stack of raw potential as well, reminds me of a young Ryder.

I think all you're missing is a star CHB and a match winning forward and you have plenty of time to get them.

Disagree, you still have a stack of great talent to come. For mine you just have to add a few parts but the glut of a premiership side is there.

I really rate your youth. O'Driscoll, Erasmus, Brayshaw, Johnson, Serong, Clark is a hell of a big midfield, when they are all 25+, you will bully teams. Young and Chapman are defensive studs. Need Amiss to develop, Treacy could be a decent 2nd or third tall forward and Benning has a stack of raw potential as well, reminds me of a young Ryder.

I think all you're missing is a star CHB and a match winning forward and you have plenty of time to get them.
Again...... Freos midfield is a work in progress.

But theres an irony in this. We lost Brad Hill but in return got serong.

Lost cerra in a trade but got Amiss.

As I posted.

Had freo got a couple of midfield gems in that 2014- 2017 drafts, that means 2-3 23-25 year old mids like a Tim Kelly

You’ve got a midfield group 6 deep with an average draft pick range of about 12 and average age of about 20. I’d guess you have about twelve years.

I feel like Freo have a young gun midfield but lack quality KPF/KPD. Hopefully they can snag a nice FA or swing a trade for a ready made player so they can contend in 2 years.

Port look like they are imploding, will need a mini-rebuild.

Adelaide look shot right now. Another few years at the bottom. We need 2 superstar mids to content again, but I feel like this is the right way to do it. Load up on key position players and develop them, then chuck in the younger mids. I repeat, we ned to nail a few high draft picks with midfielders in this draft and the next.

I feel like Freo have a young gun midfield but lack quality KPF/KPD. Hopefully they can snag a nice FA or swing a trade for a ready made player so they can contend in 2 years.

Port look like they are imploding, will need a mini-rebuild.

Adelaide look shot right now. Another few years at the bottom. We need 2 superstar mids to content again, but I feel like this is the right way to do it. Load up on key position players and develop them, then chuck in the younger mids. I repeat, we ned to nail a few high draft picks with midfielders in this draft and the next.

Freo has one of the best young set of key defenders in the league.

Pearce is a pretty damn good stopper, not young but at 26 he’s still around for a bit.

Chapman is one of the most exciting young defenders in the competition. Logue is at worst an exciting athletic swing man, could be more when he starts to put things together. Cox is great depth. When Cox is arguably your 4th best key defender you’re doing pretty well.

Ports list is in very good to excellent shape.

It’s the coach that’s holding us back.

Agree about Adelaide. There’s pieces and components there to build around but really lacking some high end young mids.

Adelaide isn’t set for a spine yet though. You need another kf to partner with thilthorpe. Butts and doedee need another high quality backman and there’s still questions over mcasey and worrell. By the time the draftees and kids are ready O’Brien will need a successor.

Port in danger of slipping to third in the list.

Next couple years are going to need to be managed well otherwise they'll be nowhere very quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's closer to a flag? Adelaide, Port Adelaide or Fremantle?

Back