• Brent Ratten

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • Mark Williams

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 30 10.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't take long for SportsBet to get a market up for West Coast coach (Brisbane odds in brackets).

Peter Sumich $2.50 (NA)
Scott Burns $3.75 ($11)
Paul Roos $9.00 (NA)
Dean Laidley $11.00 ($21)
Adam Simpson $12 ($10)
Leigh Tudor $12.00 (2.75)
Mark Williams $13.00 ($11)
Neil Craig $13.00 ($8)
Brett Ratten $14.00 ($15)
Michael Voss $15.00 (NA)

Good post. Anyone outside the system would presumably only get a gig at assistant level.
Sheldon, based on the evidence of his time at St Kilda, not up to it and given we delisted his son he may not want it anyway.
German - has some issues which are perhaps reflected in his transience.
Tudor and Williams would be in the frame you would think.
Ayres, probably a senior AFL gig has passed him by but certainly has the credentials.

I think your probably right it seems that only people in the AFL system get a look in for Senior Coaching roles. But its strange you would think that the best test for any coach is how they go coaching their own side. While it is rare we have seen in recent times Brett Ratten plucked from the Eastern Football League Division 2 Club Norwood straight into coaching Carlton and James Hird and Michael Voss go straight into Senior Coaching with no coaching backgrounds. Personally I would like to see guys like Bassett, German, Laird who have established themselves as very good State League coaches get a shot at the big time as their records speak for themselves and should count for something.

Didn't take long for SportsBet to get a market up for West Coast coach (Brisbane odds in brackets).

Peter Sumich $2.50 (NA)
Scott Burns $3.75 ($11)
Paul Roos $9.00 (NA)
Dean Laidley $11.00 ($21)
Adam Simpson $12 ($10)
Leigh Tudor $12.00 (2.75)
Mark Williams $13.00 ($11)
Neil Craig $13.00 ($8)
Brett Ratten $14.00 ($15)
Michael Voss $15.00 (NA)

Surprised Harvey isn't on that list, considering his family still reside there, or is that taboo having an ex Freo coach onboard

Surprised Harvey isn't on that list, considering his family still reside there, or is that taboo having an ex Freo coach onboard

Didn't list them all. Harvey is at $26.00.

I suspect West Coast are too proud to take on a guy who wasn't considered good enough for the Purple Haze.

Sumich is now with Freo so that hasn't stopped the bookies installing him favorite. My surprise is that despite us having a distinguished coaching panel, Sumich's name has not been mentioned once as a Brisbane possibility. Not sure why that would be the case.

It's a pity worsfold looks burnt out. No denying his quality. 8 finals series in 12 years, 2 grand finals and 1 premiership.

Just what we need, competition. The one, and only thing we had going for us, is that we had no competition for candidates. Would think Sumich and Burns would be just about out of the equation for us now. Will be interesting to see if WC chase a mentor role though. I'd think Harvey would be a shoe in to move back home and into the behind the scenes position he wants.

KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF TUDOR EAGLES !!!!! i hear Craig is available and keen to coach though, give him a call.

Sumich is now with Freo so that hasn't stopped the bookies installing him favorite. My surprise is that despite us having a distinguished coaching panel, Sumich's name has not been mentioned once as a Brisbane possibility. Not sure why that would be the case.

Wouldn't read much into it, TBH, very little has officially been said about who we are and aren't looking at outside of media speculation and whispers. We haven't made our short list public. I think we will slowly interview many coaches over the next few weeks as they become available being many are in finals still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Publicly? The only quote they managed to wrangle out of Dean Warren was "due diligence"

Yeah, probably letting my frustration get the better of me. Been a crazy few weeks.

Our board's a joke. Robust and thorough process my ass, this just looks like all panic stations are well and truly on.

uA9B23L.gif

any coincidence that since vossy got sacked, west coast got smashed by 10 goals every game they played? maybe talks have already begun?

Woosha or Harvey would be ideal. I think we need someone experienced to take that next step but seeing as Brisbane approached woosha a few days before he resigned is quite interesting, quite a sudden change of heart. We have the capacity to throw some big dollars at him

any coincidence that since vossy got sacked, west coast got smashed by 10 goals every game they played? maybe talks have already begun?
Yep. it's Vossy's fault that West Coast were loosing by 10 goals. West Coast should sack Voss before he's even appointed.

Woosha or Harvey would be ideal. I think we need someone experienced to take that next step but seeing as Brisbane approached woosha a few days before he resigned is quite interesting, quite a sudden change of heart. We have the capacity to throw some big dollars at him
Woosha is currently the highest paid coach in the AFL. Not sure we could match it let alone pay more. If he comes to Brisbane he will have to come with a hair cut.

''We made a decision at the start of the year that we would sort out the coaching at the end of the year and that is something we have stuck to despite pressure from various media outlets that we should do it sooner rather than later,'' Cransberg said.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/lions-go-after-worsfold-20130905-2t86e.html#ixzz2e1LrjnYa

WCE giving us a lesson in how to treat your club legends. Also went on to say it would have been highly disrespectful to be pursuing candidates whilst JW was still coaching.

Woosha is currently the highest paid coach in the AFL. Not sure we could match it let alone pay more. If he comes to Brisbane he will have to come with a hair cut.

Is that right. He must be alright then you'd reckon, if he's on top dollar. If he's feeling tired and over it now, a change is as good as a holiday, you'd expect him to rejuvenate pretty quickly if he wants the gig. Me rikey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's our Coach for 2014?

Back