Why are Port more hated than the Crows?

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows supporters are a wierd lot, I know as 1 has infultrated my home thanks to my Daughter.
I mean no one likes a loss, but this guy fair dinkum goes into full blown depression and sulks.
Cant remember which round but Crows were in front and going ok against a top side, he was up and about, good boy Rach, good boy keaysey, then the oppo turned it on and the lip dropped, everything became eerily silent and by 3qtr time he'd tucked himself into bed..

I was like wtf, its a game you were never going to win so why invest so heavily to fall so hard.
For a guy whos self belief as being an oracle of all things sport is off the scale.

Then last week during our Dees game he sat there with a silly smirk all game until moments before the siren when we hit the front and sulked off again.

Like dont get me wrong, he's a decent bloke but far out, lighten up.

I dont particularly like the Crows but when they win, especially against Vic clubs, I can appreciate it.
He cant.

Anyway, my Wife and I decked their 3mth old, our first Grandchild, out in Port kit and took her to her first AFL game at our first home game this year.

Port are from a working class area. Historically, class-wise, there would have been some snobbery towards them from Adelaide's elite. Perhaps they grew a chip on their shoulder? To their credit, they always managed to be successful in the SANFL. It was always Port, then Norwood, then the rest. No one liked Port, and this came to a head in 1990.

The SANFL clubs, who had approached the VFL about joining a composite team earlier in the 80's, had been denied for fear of being too strong. It was agreed the SANFL clubs would stand united, for strength in unity and better terms. With an SA AFL club on the back burner heading in to 1990, clubs that had trouble financially, such as West Torrens, with some stability, made up plans such as being "debt free in '93".

Port going behind everyone's back to make terms with Ross Oakley and the then AFL to enter in to the 1991 competition came as a shock and immediately put the SANFL and its clubs in a position of weakness. Glenelg and others put legal restrictions on Port Adelaide being able to negotiate any further, West Torrens and Woodville sought merger almost immediately, knowing they would not survive, and the SANFL made a monetary offer too good for the VFL to refuse to enter a composite side (the Crows) in 1991 and leave Port a big fish in an even smaller pond.

At that point, everybody that disliked Port Adelaide had reason to hate them. They'd brought a hastily demise to the golden era of SANFL football. Port had reason to hate everyone else, the Crows were where they thought they should be. Why should their independence and initiative be held back by everyone else?

Despite every other SANFL club being part of an application to be South Australia's 2nd AFL licence for the 1997 season, Port were the only club to go it alone. They were SANFL premiers in 1988, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95 and 96 to not only be historically, the most successful SANFL club, but also be the most successful club at the time footy became national at club level and professional. They were the clear stand out. Norwood did not even make a case to go it alone.

The SANFL didn't make it easy for them, demanding their presence to remain in the SANFL via the Port Magpies and also owning the AFL licence. The AFL didn't make it easy for them, requiring them to change their colours, uniform and logo and create a new identity. With the Magpies going on to win SANFL premierships in 98 and 99, there was an alternative for the Port person who might not have the time and resources to stretch their support for two clubs in two competitions.

Fortunately, the early 2000's were a golden era for Port on field in the AFL, culminating in the 2004 AFL premiership and ending with the 119 point thrashing in the 2007 Grand Final by Geelong, a Grand Final Port did well to make, but were no match for Geelong.

From this point, Port had its darkest days. No success in the AFL or SANFL. Ironically, as owner of the licence, the SANFL propped Port Adelaide up financially, allowing it to survive. The Port Magpies owned the Prince of Wales Hotel on Port Road and it made sense to acquire that, along with a shared history, and become one club again. It gave the old SANFL clubs the sh*%s again, but by now, the SANFL was a very little brother to the all conquering AFL and Port would do what it needed to do to survive. It lead the charge for returning to Adelaide Oval, while the Crows sat on their hands and followed along. It lead the charge for making the Port Magpies their Reserves team in the SANFL, while the Crows sat on their hands and followed along. Even this year, it has lead the charge to leave the SANFL entirely and join a national reserves competition, while the Crows have sat on their hands and joined along.

Port are unashamedly forward and are full of initiative as a club. They will step on toes and step over clubs and people to get what they want. The moment Collingwood and the AFL give them a sniff, they'll be back in black and white if they feel that will help them be better. It's quite opposite to the more conservative nature of the Adelaide Crows and South Australia in general.

It is now the Hinkley and Koch era. The era Port have rebuilt itself as one club, the same suburban club it always has been, on the national stage. Port should've won the premiership in 2021, and it looked like it would allude them all together at certain points since, including when their feral fans were baying for Hinkley's blood when they lost to the Lions in June. But, as they do more often than not, they've given themselves a chance as we head in to September. You can hate them, but you respect them. Many great players and people have left a lasting legacy for over a century and a half that ensures Port's foundations are strong enough to compete and be successful on the national stage. Even if they are not even the biggest club in their home state.

Port are from a working class area. Historically, class-wise, there would have been some snobbery towards them from Adelaide's elite. Perhaps they grew a chip on their shoulder? To their credit, they always managed to be successful in the SANFL. It was always Port, then Norwood, then the rest. No one liked Port, and this came to a head in 1990.

The SANFL clubs, who had approached the VFL about joining a composite team earlier in the 80's, had been denied for fear of being too strong. It was agreed the SANFL clubs would stand united, for strength in unity and better terms. With an SA AFL club on the back burner heading in to 1990, clubs that had trouble financially, such as West Torrens, with some stability, made up plans such as being "debt free in '93".

Port going behind everyone's back to make terms with Ross Oakley and the then AFL to enter in to the 1991 competition came as a shock and immediately put the SANFL and its clubs in a position of weakness. Glenelg and others put legal restrictions on Port Adelaide being able to negotiate any further, West Torrens and Woodville sought merger almost immediately, knowing they would not survive, and the SANFL made a monetary offer too good for the VFL to refuse to enter a composite side (the Crows) in 1991 and leave Port a big fish in an even smaller pond.

At that point, everybody that disliked Port Adelaide had reason to hate them. They'd brought a hastily demise to the golden era of SANFL football. Port had reason to hate everyone else, the Crows were where they thought they should be. Why should their independence and initiative be held back by everyone else?

Despite every other SANFL club being part of an application to be South Australia's 2nd AFL licence for the 1997 season, Port were the only club to go it alone. They were SANFL premiers in 1988, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95 and 96 to not only be historically, the most successful SANFL club, but also be the most successful club at the time footy became national at club level and professional. They were the clear stand out. Norwood did not even make a case to go it alone.

The SANFL didn't make it easy for them, demanding their presence to remain in the SANFL via the Port Magpies and also owning the AFL licence. The AFL didn't make it easy for them, requiring them to change their colours, uniform and logo and create a new identity. With the Magpies going on to win SANFL premierships in 98 and 99, there was an alternative for the Port person who might not have the time and resources to stretch their support for two clubs in two competitions.

Fortunately, the early 2000's were a golden era for Port on field in the AFL, culminating in the 2004 AFL premiership and ending with the 119 point thrashing in the 2007 Grand Final by Geelong, a Grand Final Port did well to make, but were no match for Geelong.

From this point, Port had its darkest days. No success in the AFL or SANFL. Ironically, as owner of the licence, the SANFL propped Port Adelaide up financially, allowing it to survive. The Port Magpies owned the Prince of Wales Hotel on Port Road and it made sense to acquire that, along with a shared history, and become one club again. It gave the old SANFL clubs the sh*%s again, but by now, the SANFL was a very little brother to the all conquering AFL and Port would do what it needed to do to survive. It lead the charge for returning to Adelaide Oval, while the Crows sat on their hands and followed along. It lead the charge for making the Port Magpies their Reserves team in the SANFL, while the Crows sat on their hands and followed along. Even this year, it has lead the charge to leave the SANFL entirely and join a national reserves competition, while the Crows have sat on their hands and joined along.

Port are unashamedly forward and are full of initiative as a club. They will step on toes and step over clubs and people to get what they want. The moment Collingwood and the AFL give them a sniff, they'll be back in black and white if they feel that will help them be better. It's quite opposite to the more conservative nature of the Adelaide Crows and South Australia in general.

It is now the Hinkley and Koch era. The era Port have rebuilt itself as one club, the same suburban club it always has been, on the national stage. Port should've won the premiership in 2021, and it looked like it would allude them all together at certain points since, including when their feral fans were baying for Hinkley's blood when they lost to the Lions in June. But, as they do more often than not, they've given themselves a chance as we head in to September. You can hate them, but you respect them. Many great players and people have left a lasting legacy for over a century and a half that ensures Port's foundations are strong enough to compete and be successful on the national stage. Even if they are not even the biggest club in their home state.

Wow, great post mate.

Recent survey from Twitter aka X.
Interesting to see Port above the Crows when it comes to being hated by opposition fans.

Supporters of 7/17 clubs (Adelaide, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, North, Richmond and West Coast) have Port in their top 5 most hated clubs.
Apart from Port no other club has the Crows in their top 5 most hated clubs.

Adelaide have had more success (2 flags > 1 flag), have been around longer (1991 > 1997) and have a bigger supporter base, so why do opposition supporters hate Port more?
You post a lot about port. What’s your secret love affair really all about?

They're just very dislikable. They're all the things people hate about North, but with the added aspect of being from South Australia which is a crap place.
Is there anyone that really hates north? Feels like people are indifferent towards them, Can’t hate something if it’s irrelevant afterall.

This line makes me wonder why Leigh Whicker and Max Basheer said no when we were offered the chance to join by the VFL in late '86 and again in late '88.
After the WAFL joined in '87 it was inevitable we would join and the SANFL would slide in standard.
But I remember Leigh and Max saying how we would enter when the time was right and under our conditions (which never happened and never would, whether Port had tried to join or not) and the public and the media swallowed it up as gospel.
I never heard anyone at the suburban grounds of the SANFL saying how they wished we would join, but many in agreeance with what Leigh and Max were preaching.
If we'd taken that chance then all 10 teams could have joined forces to create a team with the backing of all of SA's football public, with Port joining soon afterwards.
A true rivalry could have been created instead of what we have now, which is an intense, bitter, pure hatred by both camps.

This line makes me wonder why Leigh Whicker and Max Basheer said no when we were offered the chance to join by the VFL in late '86 and again in late '88.
After the WAFL joined in '87 it was inevitable we would join and the SANFL would slide in standard.
But I remember Leigh and Max saying how we would enter when the time was right and under our conditions (which never happened and never would, whether Port had tried to join or not) and the public and the media swallowed it up as gospel.
I never heard anyone at the suburban grounds of the SANFL saying how they wished we would join, but many in agreeance with what Leigh and Max were preaching.
If we'd taken that chance then all 10 teams could have joined forces to create a team with the backing of all of SA's football public, with Port joining soon afterwards.
A true rivalry could have been created instead of what we have now, which is an intense, bitter, pure hatred by both camps.
The SANFL were not against a national competition, they just didn't want the VFL to be that by default.
They wanted a new league to be formed, made up by the VFL, WAFL and SANFL.

The SANFL were not against a national competition, they just didn't want the VFL to be that by default.
They wanted a new league to be formed, made up by the VFL, WAFL and SANFL.
Once West Coast joined the VFL that was never going to happen. Crows supporters love going on about Ports "treachery" but it was West Coast who ****ed up the dream of having a more balanced and equitable comp, not Port.

Once West Coast joined the VFL that was never going to happen. Crows supporters love going on about Ports "treachery" but it was West Coast who ****ed up the dream of having a more balanced and equitable comp, not Port.
Even now it’s frustrating WA and SA don’t form an alliance to advocate for better conditions, both for their AFL teams and their state leagues.

They’re the only 2 states who produce more footballers than squad positions. They don’t get any concessions like the northern states. They don’t get the advantages of the big Victorian clubs.

WA usually fold in first and SA follow. WA the slightly weaker state when it comes to football. It says something about the way the Crows have been managed (since 2000) that they’re a less successful club than West Coast.

What West Coast did has nothing to do with what Port did. They destroyed the ability of the SANFL to come in on their terms. Port was used by the AFL to get the SANFL team to enter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What West Coast did has nothing to do with what Port did. They destroyed the ability of the SANFL to come in on their terms. Port was used by the AFL to get the SANFL team to enter.
That's not how I remember it. By the late 80s it had become very clear that regardless of whatever delusions of grandeur the SANFL had, the AFL was the premier competition and they were still finding every excuse under the sun not to join. Port just forced their hand, compelled them to get their shit together and stop being so insular.

That's not how I remember it. By the late 80s it had become very clear that regardless of whatever delusions of grandeur the SANFL had, the AFL was the premier competition and they were still finding every excuse under the sun not to join. Port just forced their hand, compelled them to get their shit together and stop being so insular.
How much different would the Crows have looked if they came in a few years later? The SANFL was getting weaker and the AFL stronger and thus their hand was getting weaker as the years progressed. I doubt it would have been much different.

The VFL needed the expansion teams licence fees to stop it going bankrupt.
A better solution, and one the SANFL wanted, was a new stand alone comp made up of all the state leagues, rather than a Victorian dominated one, and we now see the issues with it, being bias throughput the comp.

As far as the current teams are concerned, I think Port are the kings of the pointless unsociable stuff, never letting an opportunity to shove an opponent from behind when they've been outpointed on a mark inside 50 or shanked a field kick out on the full. I've rarely seen a truly great team carry on too much with that garbage. They just give me a 'lippy, smart arse bunch of flogs' collective vibe.

As far as the clubs are concerned, much of a muchness, I don't especially like one more than the other. I get the sense that Port hates Geelong more than Adelaide, even with Dangerfield's defection.

The VFL needed the expansion teams licence fees to stop it going bankrupt.
A better solution, and one the SANFL wanted, was a new stand alone comp made up of all the state leagues, rather than a Victorian dominated one, and we now see the issues with it, being bias throughput the comp.
They probably also wanted Ross Oakley to climb under the table and personally give them each a blowjob, and that would've been a more realistic goal.

One thing Kane has got right is how soft Rachele is. Yet again he pulled out of a contest. That 50/50 he was probably closer to the ball to start. Adelaide need to make an example of this guy as it keeps happening. He also doesn't help himself with the carry on, which is fine but you certainly can't then be soft.

How much different would the Crows have looked if they came in a few years later? The SANFL was getting weaker and the AFL stronger and thus their hand was getting weaker as the years progressed. I doubt it would have been much different.
There would have been no Crows. Norwood most likely would have got the second licence, instead their role in the blocking of Port the first time around has now pushed them further into the abyss of irrelevance. Not long now and The Parade will be transformed into luxury townhouses.

Well, I think we all have our answer. Booing a superstar off the ground who was knocked unconscious by an illegal head bump is pretty much why, and I'm sure the fact he is indigenous helped them get that booing as loud as it did, what with them not being able to throw bananas anymore.
Superstar? Not sure a guy who's biggest achievement is a rising star nomination 5 years ago qualifies as a Superstar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are Port more hated than the Crows?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back