mactier

Senior List
Mar 29, 2013
Possibility City.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Detroit Lions
Whilst watching Rumble in the Jungle yesterday I was distracted by Lids and his basketball spinning. I mentioned to my girlfriend that he was the reason I started following Richmond, after he had caught my eye on Rexonas Greatest Athlete one year, I think it was 2011. I had moved to Melbourne in 2010 and needed someone to follow, and he impressed me so much by being so obnoxiously talented. Ended up going to the five games we won at the end of 2011 by myself, I loved the young group and the growing bond they had. I knew I had stumbled on to something special...it felt like family, it felt like home.

Met my girlfriend last year and while she is a Pies supporter, it was awesome to have someone I could go to games with. We go to more Richmond games than Collingwood, she even said to me yesterday "You know, I don't think I'll get a Collingwood membership next year. I'll just get a Richmond one." Finally broke through her defences ;)

So why are you Yellow and Black? Please share your stories!

Whilst watching Rumble in the Jungle yesterday I was distracted by Lids and his basketball spinning. I mentioned to my girlfriend that he was the reason I started following Richmond, after he had caught my eye on Rexonas Greatest Athlete one year, I think it was 2011. I had moved to Melbourne in 2010 and needed someone to follow, and he impressed me so much by being so obnoxiously talented. Ended up going to the five games we won at the end of 2011 by myself, I loved the young group and the growing bond they had. I knew I had stumbled on to something special...it felt like family, it felt like home.

Met my girlfriend last year and while she is a Pies supporter, it was awesome to have someone I could go to games with. We go to more Richmond games than Collingwood, she even said to me yesterday "You know, I don't think I'll get a Collingwood membership next year. I'll just get a Richmond one." Finally broke through her defences ;)

So why are you Yellow and Black? Please share your stories!
Good story Mac, what city where u from?.....i was born and bred in forest hill early 70s , when it came to 5th bday i wanted a footy jumper, bw tigers and NM, with bro and whole street Y&B ,the choice became an ovewhelming one, lucky for me, 31 year member this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a Fitzroy supporter all my life. Was totally disillusioned by the 10 year destruction of my footy club by the AFL that I could never embrace Brisbane. Still watched footy tho but had none of the rollercoaster that you get by being "onboard". I'll leave history there.
My two eldest kids came home from school one day and said they barracked for the Tiges and I was sort of sold from then on. Went to a bunch of games with kids and mates and found myself getting vocal. I have a couple of other connections with employees at the club and remain close with an ex player.
Those that read my posts might understand that I love the idea of the struggle, the pain, the baby steps and the wins along the way. And that is the genesis of the genuine satisfaction that will come with success. Brisbane never did it this tough.
I became a member when we were 0-6 in 2010 and have thrown myself in 100% ever since.

I'm actually a pretty tanned Chinese person, no kidding...

But other than that, I worked as a waiter on Victoria St and always took the 246 up from Richmond Station/Punt Rd for my shifts. Before that I was a fan of football but had no strong affiliation except for a childhood allegiance to the Pies because of peer pressure.

I then went to a game; Dustin kicked 5 that afternoon. Loved the fans, loved the atmosphere, found myself cheering for the Yellow/Black against Collingwood one night and never looked back.

Only reaffirmed further as I met more mates who were Tigers fans, they're now my best ones; I never miss a match in Melbourne now.

My secret shame is I followed North when I was a young kid because my brother did. One day (I must have been 6 or 7 - my brother is 10 years older than me) he says to me, I go for the Tigers now (one of his mates convinced him to change) and I thought, well I like tigers better than kangaroos (the animals) so I guess I will change too! (funny the way kids think). Anyway we moved to Queensland when I was 13 and the real footy was not even thought about up there in the late 80s so I really didn't get to follow it until one fateful day in 97 when I switched on the TV and lo and behold the Tigers were playing the Blues in the last round, and we came from behind to keep them out of the finals. I had watched the finals series in 95 but it wasn't until after that game that I was fully into it and haven't looked back. This year moving back to Victoria and I am pinching myself regularly being at the G and watching the tigers most weeks.

My old man grew up in Richmond in the 20's, barracked for them his whole life. He had 6 sons, all Tigers except the firstborn who followed Esadadon. Took me to games since I was knee high to a grasshopper, and died not long after our 1980 triumph, God bless him. So I continue the tradition, 4 tiger boys and one more Tigerian on the way, EAT EM ALIVE!!

Born in 72. My parents are from Spain, so when they moved here when I was two, its in there culture that they have to support there local football club. Being we were located in South Yarra ( the commission flats that immigrants where posted to) Richmond was our club. My parents were keen to embrace the Aussie culture so my dad signed us up.

In Spain your club is a extension of your family and my dad assumed the same here. It's funny, in the early days he used to treat every goal like a soccer goal lol.

When I hit grade 4 I made my own mind to follow the tigers and have never looked back. Now im 41 with 4 boys 12 and under and yep you guessed it, they also are all tiger members :)

My whole family is!

The dungeon is decked out in yellow and black.
emoji_tiger_bigger.png

*There's also Swan or two (since South days) in the ranks as well but that didn't fit in with the syntax....

Was a Fitzroy supporter all my life. Was totally disillusioned by the 10 year destruction of my footy club by the AFL that I could never embrace Brisbane. Still watched footy tho but had none of the rollercoaster that you get by being "onboard". I'll leave history there.
My two eldest kids came home from school one day and said they barracked for the Tiges and I was sort of sold from then on. Went to a bunch of games with kids and mates and found myself getting vocal. I have a couple of other connections with employees at the club and remain close with an ex player.
Those that read my posts might understand that I love the idea of the struggle, the pain, the baby steps and the wins along the way. And that is the genesis of the genuine satisfaction that will come with success. Brisbane never did it this tough.
I became a member when we were 0-6 in 2010 and have thrown myself in 100% ever since.

good onya liv, great to have you on board mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are you Yellow and Black?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back