Why are you Yellow and Black?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm actually a pretty tanned Chinese person, no kidding...

But other than that, I worked as a waiter on Victoria St and always took the 246 up from Richmond Station/Punt Rd for my shifts. Before that I was a fan of football but had no strong affiliation except for a childhood allegiance to the Pies because of peer pressure.

I then went to a game; Dustin kicked 5 that afternoon. Loved the fans, loved the atmosphere, found myself cheering for the Yellow/Black against Collingwood one night and never looked back.

Only reaffirmed further as I met more mates who were Tigers fans, they're now my best ones; I never miss a match in Melbourne now.

good story mogy, great to have you on board too:thumbsu:

Mid 70's was about six I guess and my nan & pop gave me a packet of the old scanlens footy cards and I had more tigers cards than any others so I picked Richmond. I can't remember much pre 1980 but I remember that GF win and just thought they would keep on coming :oops:

Lucky for me I guess that I didn't get more blues cards :D

When I was a little kid my favourite animal was a Tiger. Chuck in the colours, the song and Richo and I was sold. Nothing too interesting.

Don't ever under-estimate how marketable this club is though. It tends to get overlooked a bit, since most supporters just follow their parents club. The tiger nickname itself will ensure we are never short of fans, even if we play finals twice in 100 years..

Only one in my whole family that supports the tiges.
My dad was a Bulldogs supporter who copped years of pain so decided to let me pick my own side...
Apparently when I was 5-6 I liked North because of how good Wayne Carey was and how much all my uncles talked him up... Then I have vivid memories of watching Richmond beat North on tv and that was it, I was a tiger.

22 years old now. Got one of my best mate who moved here from NZ when he was 12 to support us, he bleeds yellow & black and is now a third year member. Hes two younger brothers support us, got there first membership this year. I also got two other mates who moved here from NZ (one is 30 one is 26) to support us and they got there first memberships this year.

Working on a few of the nephews at the moment to get them away from Essendon and Bullfrogs :thumbsu:

There were 3 Matthews in Tiger colours when I started watching football as a kid (Richo, Knights, Rogers).

Sealed the deal for me. :D

That's my story and that a couple are left footers ;)

But Richmond chose me ;)

Only one in my whole family that supports the tiges.
My dad was a Bulldogs supporter who copped years of pain so decided to let me pick my own side...
Apparently when I was 5-6 I liked North because of how good Wayne Carey was and how much all my uncles talked him up... Then I have vivid memories of watching Richmond beat North on tv and that was it, I was a tiger.

22 years old now. Got one of my best mate who moved here from NZ when he was 12 to support us, he bleeds yellow & black and is now a third year member. Hes two younger brothers support us, got there first membership this year. I also got two other mates who moved here from NZ (one is 30 one is 26) to support us and they got there first memberships this year.

Working on a few of the nephews at the moment to get them away from Essendon and Bullfrogs :thumbsu:

1997?

I think I've posted this story before but I'll tell it again. It's one of my favourites. I was born in 1990 and my first memory of footy was Alister lynch playing for the bears kicking a goal against Fitzroy. I asked mum if there where any teams called dogs. Anyway I started following footscray. (we also lived in Maribrynong at this time) I think I was about 5 at this stage.
Anyway my mum told her best friend, who is from a family of fanatic tigers, that I was going for Footscray. Well she was having none of that shit. I'm not exactly sure how it happened but she made a tiger out of me the next time I saw her, maybe a week after I started going for the dogs. So I have been tiger crazy ever since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dad supported Carlton. Mum supported Collingwood. Brother supported Essendon. Couldn't choose between them until I overheard my best friend in primary school talking about the Tigers, so I decided I would be a Tiger supporter too. This would have been around 1980.

Turns out I heard wrong and my best friend actually supported the Pies. But I'd made my decision and decided to stick to it.

Born into it, but only took an actual interest in 2002 as a young 9 year old. Tough school years I tell ya. Everyone complains about never seeing a grand final, but I haven't even seen a final!

I fear I may be the reason we haven't made finals since 2001.

Sorry guys. :(

Aha almost exactly the same :thumbsu:

I was 6 in 2001, never ever have seen a Richmond final :( Didn't start following footy til I was 7 and went with my diehard uncle to the Richmond Collingwood game in 2002 and Richo kicked 6 and Ottens and Stafford 4 each as we thumped the Pies by 7 goals...I think it was the atmosphere ( And Richo :p ) that drew me in.
Ever since I've loved the Tigers and taken every win, draw, loss and shellacking to heart.

Finals will be sweet when we make them, i'm loving this group of players and the direction they're heading in.
It will make up for years of watching Greg Tivendale bomb it 60m to the opposition, Cam Howat take 4 bounces and shank the kick; and Patrick Bowden chip it around the backline racking up 35 ineffective touches a game ;)

I love the Tiges

My older brother chose the Tigers, although not directly.
He was 4 years old and the story goes something like this...

Our grandfather (Clem Fisher, who rucked for Saints and Swans in the 30s, and Port Melb): So which team do you barrack for?
My brother (looking at a match on the TV): I barrack for him!
GF: You can't barrack for a player, you have to barrack for a team!
MB: I barrack for his team!

The player was Royce Hart. As I'm five years younger, I had to follow what he did, and in this case, I've never regretted it!

1980, 6 year old living in Mentone, watching the 1980 Grand Final. I didn't have a team so thought that whoever won the game I would support.
The Chimp has all his teeth, no criminal record and is educated, so I don't fit the demographic of a scum supporter.
Their has been a lot of pain, but the good times are about to roll.
The chimp, mrs chimp and the two little chimps are all tigers.

My Dad and the rest of our family go for Richmond. Have been a Tiger from the start because of him. Haven't seen much success yet but things are looking up now. This group of players look like they have the skills and desire to take us a long way. Exciting times ahead!

I'm a Glenelg supporter. We didn't get to see much VFL on TV before the Crows came in, but always said the Tigers were my team, although I didn't follow them all that closely.
Went to a few early Crows game but couldn't stand their supporters, so ended up sticking with the Yelow and Black.
I like the bays too, my late grandmother lived. 200 odd meters from the ground, great memories down at the bay on summer holidays

Was a Fitzroy supporter all my life. Was totally disillusioned by the 10 year destruction of my footy club by the AFL that I could never embrace Brisbane. Still watched footy tho but had none of the rollercoaster that you get by being "onboard". I'll leave history there.
My two eldest kids came home from school one day and said they barracked for the Tiges and I was sort of sold from then on. Went to a bunch of games with kids and mates and found myself getting vocal. I have a couple of other connections with employees at the club and remain close with an ex player.
Those that read my posts might understand that I love the idea of the struggle, the pain, the baby steps and the wins along the way. And that is the genesis of the genuine satisfaction that will come with success. Brisbane never did it this tough.
I became a member when we were 0-6 in 2010 and have thrown myself in 100% ever since.

Good story mate. I gave Fitzroy some money when they came door knocking, always liked them. I don't think I could follow another club myself if Richmond went under.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are you Yellow and Black?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back