Why are you Yellow and Black?

Remove this Banner Ad

Born into it.

Richo is a very big reason I kept watching every week. When a team is bad, you need stars to look up to and give you excitement.

I do not ever remember remember not barracking for Richmond. Parents are Melbourne, so no hint there.
But my father did play country footy for Sandy Creek (now merged with Kiewa) and there is a photo somewhere of me as a toddler wearing his black and yellow footy jumper. I chose it out of a pile of about six jerseys.
The power of suggestion, maybe?
Now I play footy wearing black and yellow, go to training wearing black and yellow, jog in black and yellow, gym in black and yellow. With power of suggestion, my 1 year old daughter doesn't have a chance. And, more importantly, neither do my Essendon coterie inlaws.

Haahahah, you prick

I love it :thumbsu:

hahaaa, yeah upon reflection this particular boy was actually tackling, bumping and running himself to the point of mildly puffing, so I'll break it to him next week that he's obviously over qualified for the job, or even more heart breaking for him no doubt, not a good cultural fit for where Melbourne are taking their list.

My Dad & Brother went for Essendon, the rest of my family went for Carlton. I kinda always suspected I was adopted. I remember asking Dad (at age 5) if I should pick the Bombers because that's who he went for, he said he was happy for me to follow the Bombers but that I should pick my own team.

So I looked at the logos....didn't care about planes, didn't know wtf a "Blue " was, but Tigers look cool...so Richmond it was.

The year was 1981. Impeccable timing.

My Dad & Brother went for Essendon, the rest of my family went for Carlton. I kinda always suspected I was adopted. I remember asking Dad (at age 5) if I should pick the Bombers because that's who he went for, he said he was happy for me to follow the Bombers but that I should pick my own team.

So I looked at the logos....didn't care about planes, didn't know wtf a "Blue " was, but Tigers look cool...so Richmond it was.

The year was 1981. Impeccable timing.

32 years later and we still don't know wtf a blue is

There were 3 Matthews in Tiger colours when I started watching football as a kid (Richo, Knights, Rogers).

Sealed the deal for me. :D

What Danog is not your real name??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was born 3 days before the 80 GF, but was a hawks supporter through the 80's until i was about 6 (so their most successful period) then my big brother got me supporting the tigers and never looked back since (as its too sad! ;) )

Love the Tigers and will never give them up.

always loved footy from day one, when i was in nappies my mum always wanted me a cat because she thought doug wade was a bit of a hotty, and my dad the was the tigers..... the penny dropped When i was about 8 or 9 and my dad bought me a jumper and started calling me dicky... the number on the back was 8 (dick clay) been hooked ever since..

I was essentially born into it, my father wasn't a passionate Tigers supporter, but yet he still followed them. When I was young I loved the actual Tiger animal, so it made sense for me to adopt the Richmond Tigers as my chosen club. I was really into the club growing up, but then it wavered in between the ages of 13-17 roughly, can't really remember the exact timeline. I literally hated AFL, embarrassed to admit that really.
During that time of my life, I was heavily involved in club soccer and I was a proud, stupid Croatian teenager who didn't know better than to hate Serbs and cause a bit of trouble, I quickly wised up and distanced myself from that part of my life.
In the latter years of Terry Wallace's tenure at the club i started paying attention again because I heard he was going to get the sack (almost destroyed the club). I am now 23 years of age, and I am in love with the Richmond Football Club and love watching as many AFL games as I can to gain a better understanding of the opposition as well as the business in general. I check the Richmond app multiple times a day, listen to the Talking Tigers Podcast and spend a lot of time reading and now posting in this forum.

I love the club and can't wait for what the future holds when the RFC become a powerhouse again.
Get around us.

My dad's family came to Australia from Croatia in 1970ish and lived in Footscray, Sunshine and Richmond. So my uncle is a big Richmond supporter and my dad is a Bulldogs fan, but he still loves the tigers. Every now and then my dad tells me how tough Richmond were and the successful era in the 70s and loves mentioning the likes of Francis Bourke, Jim Jess, Disco Roach, Malthouse, HART!!! etc. so he's a bit of both.
My uncle at the age of 12 in the 1982 GF loss was being teased by the Greek Carlton supporter over the fence, so he ran over and almost strangled him. Hate for Carlton runs through the family.
I was born to support Richmond, definitely because of my uncle. I got taken to my first game as a Tigers supporter at the age of 1 in '95 (lost to Melbourne that day I was told). I never remember getting my first Richmond jumper because I have a few of them with Richo's number 12 on the back which would have been from the mid-to-late 90s.
Became a member for the first time in 2001, went to most matches so I knew most players. I remember the Libba and Knights incident, it made me cry. I occasionally cried when we lost, once a bulldogs supporter told me that Richmond will be good someday, but I knew he was lying. :p
There were times when losing became a way of life, I stopped going to games, stopped caring, but still loved Richmond.
Then in 2010 another rebuild, but it was different. Started to take a strong interest, did not give a shit about losing, because I knew we were developing and going places. Still cop shit, but its the typical stuff. :rolleyes: :thumbsu:
My younger brother follows Richmond too and my sister. Mum isn't as interested, but loves it when Richmond wins because it equals a happy house. As I mentioned earlier, dad loves the Tigers too, even refused to take his Bulldogs scarf to the Richmond v Bulldogs match the other week, because he was 'torn'.

Nowadays, life is good as a Richmond supporter. :)

I was 8 years old. Older brother took me to the 1996 Richmond vs. Fitzroy match at Whitten Oval.

Loved the colours and the scoreline. Never looked back. Didn't Richo kick a bag???

Plus, the Tiger rulezzzzzzz :)

I'm 3rd gen (or maybe 4th gen, I should find out).

My dads parents (and more likely their parents) were good friends with Gordon and Doug Strang (brothers) who played for the Tiggies in the 1930's, I believe that is where the Tiger following began. My dad and uncle grew up lovin' the yellow and black and managed to infect myself and some of my cousins; the others fell to the influence of a Saints supporter.

As others have said, it just feels right. I love everything about the club, the past and present players, the colours, the jumper, the animal, the song. :thumbsu: I was born two days after the 1982 GF. :(

Soon it will be my turn to indoctrinate the 4th/5th generation of the family. :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are you Yellow and Black?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back