Why are you Yellow and Black?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dad and brother were/are both Pies fans, with dad having a soft spot for the Tigers for whatever reason.
Me being me had to be different so I began calling Richmond my team.
It wasn't until later on when I found out the girl I had a crush on was a massive Tiger fan that I really embraced the club, in desperate hope that it might get me in with her. Didn't, but I haven't looked back since.

Pop played for South in the 40s but my Dad started following Collingwood because his mate Mick Erwin was playing for them. Dad met Mum who had come over from Ireland in 1950. She had chosen the Tiges and she reckons she told Dad she wouldn't marry him if he didn't change to Richmond (this may not be true but Dad started going to see the Tiges with his future brothers-in-law). First Tiger guernsey had the big white plastic squares with the black numbers on them. Billy Barrot's 24. Billy went to St Kilda and 24 became 4 for Roycey Baby. Will never forget when Dad answered the phone on the morning of the 1980 GF and said the lady up the street had a ticket and would I like to go. Greatest day of my life. Getting married next week - wonder if it will top it. Big family, all Tiges. We spread some of Mum's ashes on The G a couple of years ago. She's helping us to the finals and then...who knows? GO TIGES!!!

Good story mate. I gave Fitzroy some money when they came door knocking, always liked them. I don't think I could follow another club myself if Richmond went under.

I had the same attitude at the time as well...there'll never be another. But you know, at some point I just looked forward and embraced the Tiges. Now I live and breath it like everyone else and are no longer bitter and twisted (although I do have a tiny nagging hate in there somewhere for what they did to my 'Roys).
You never know how you'll react and really, only Fitzroy supporters can say describe the reality. But right now I'm just loving the ride with the Tiges. Proud of the way the club has dug itself out of a massive hole and now has real hope for a successful future.
And I'm part of it.

1976, my brother Paul and I agreed we would pick our team from picking a random footy card. Paul got Peter Knights, I got Gary Dempsey. I went over to tell "Naps" that I barrack for Footscray. Naps was a 9 year old psycho, and I'm pretty sure he already had tatts. And he was a mad Tiger.
I left his joint as a Richmond supporter with a black eye.
I really hope Naps has made it to see us now. :rainbow:

Used to live in UK and they showed a couple of games there. Liked the aggression and speed of the game.

Moved to Australia in 2006, turned on the TV and an AFL game was on. Decided to pick the team with the name which most associated with home, which was Richmond as there are a few places in the UK called Richmond.

Have suffered many years of abuse from my work colleagues and suggestions I change teams which I would never do.

It took me many years to look up the game to see who we were playing on that Friday night in the back of my mind I thought knowing my luck it was Geelong or Sydney and I picked the wrong team.

It was in fact St Kilda. Luckily there are no places in UK called St Kilda!!!!!!!!

Whilst watching Rumble in the Jungle yesterday I was distracted by Lids and his basketball spinning. I mentioned to my girlfriend that he was the reason I started following Richmond, after he had caught my eye on Rexonas Greatest Athlete one year, I think it was 2011. I had moved to Melbourne in 2010 and needed someone to follow, and he impressed me so much by being so obnoxiously talented. Ended up going to the five games we won at the end of 2011 by myself, I loved the young group and the growing bond they had. I knew I had stumbled on to something special...it felt like family, it felt like home.

Met my girlfriend last year and while she is a Pies supporter, it was awesome to have someone I could go to games with. We go to more Richmond games than Collingwood, she even said to me yesterday "You know, I don't think I'll get a Collingwood membership next year. I'll just get a Richmond one." Finally broke through her defences ;)

So why are you Yellow and Black? Please share your stories!

Sheesh buddy, like isnt it obvious?
What's the alternative? :D

Born in 72. My parents are from Spain, so when they moved here when I was two, its in there culture that they have to support there local football club. Being we were located in South Yarra ( the commission flats that immigrants where posted to) Richmond was our club. My parents were keen to embrace the Aussie culture so my dad signed us up.

In Spain your club is a extension of your family and my dad assumed the same here. It's funny, in the early days he used to treat every goal like a soccer goal lol.

When I hit grade 4 I made my own mind to follow the tigers and have never looked back. Now im 41 with 4 boys 12 and under and yep you guessed it, they also are all tiger members :)
Warms the cockles to hear that story. :thumbsu:

Born 1970.
Old man probably still on a high from the 1966 Saints win.
Thank God he didn't convince me to go down that road.
Never even considered supporting any other team - saw the Tiges early on and loved them.
Fortunately Dad was working at the same place as David Parkin (back when coaches still had other jobs as well as the players) in 1980 and 1982 and was able to help us out getting GF tickets.
KB's 400th just as memorable. Plenty of other big games.
Moved to Brisbane and couldn't believe Dad could switch and support the Lions. :eek:

Once a tiger - always a tiger.

Used to live in UK and they showed a couple of games there. Liked the aggression and speed of the game.

Moved to Australia in 2006, turned on the TV and an AFL game was on. Decided to pick the team with the name which most associated with home, which was Richmond as there are a few places in the UK called Richmond.

Have suffered many years of abuse from my work colleagues and suggestions I change teams which I would never do.

It took me many years to look up the game to see who we were playing on that Friday night in the back of my mind I thought knowing my luck it was Geelong or Sydney and I picked the wrong team.

It was in fact St Kilda. Luckily there are no places in UK called St Kilda!!!!!!!!

Actually there is. It's an island chain called St Kilda roughly one hundred miles west-southwest off the Butt of Lewis and over 40 miles from it's nearest landfall on North Uist in the Northern Hebridies. We are talking serious degrees of remoteness here - even the Starks would think twice about going. It had a settlement there which was abandoned in 1930. You could make a case for it being a metaphore for St Kilda's current position on the AFL ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Yellow and Black runs through my veins. An primarily Irish Catholic family of 50+ with only three heretics.

My Nan (mum side) enjoys the Peptides, My Grandpa (dad side) is filthly and my poor cousin is Dee-vastated.

The rest of us are pure and true, god we gve it to nan in 95 :thumbsu:

While the process of choice can be quite random (as many of these posts elude to), or even quite extreme per the "want to eat in this house? support tigers" - the very technique I'm using on my own kids ;-)..... the bottom line is how much passion can be generated from such a small beginning. random, seemingly mindless start, evolving to something tribal, serious, unequivocal..... the contrast is so huge.

Bandwagon supporters will come and go from all teams, however I'm amazed at the passion and intensity of the true core tiger supporters. It's great.

BTW: My 6 year old boy does Aus kick in Richmond, only being a new dad to it this year hard for me to comment on numbers in previous years, however the number of kids running around in y 'n black with 9,8,3 or 4 on their backs this year is so great to see. Sprinkling of Collingwood, Don, Kangas, Hawks, Blues, and gulp ....Dees jumpers too (I mentioned to the boy he should nominate for captaincy); but the passion for Tigers in the next generation is really strong. My guess is stronger than it's been for a while.

......Eat 'Em Alive!!!!!!

While the process of choice can be quite random (as many of these posts elude to), or even quite extreme per the "want to eat in this house? support tigers" - the very technique I'm using on my own kids ;-)..... the bottom line is how much passion can be generated from such a small beginning. random, seemingly mindless start, evolving to something tribal, serious, unequivocal..... the contrast is so huge.

Bandwagon supporters will come and go from all teams, however I'm amazed at the passion and intensity of the true core tiger supporters. It's great.

BTW: My 6 year old boy does Aus kick in Richmond, only being a new dad to it this year hard for me to comment on numbers in previous years, however the number of kids running around in y 'n black with 9,8,3 or 4 on their backs this year is so great to see. Sprinkling of Collingwood, Don, Kangas, Hawks, Blues, and gulp ....Dees jumpers too (I mentioned to the boy he should nominate for captaincy); but the passion for Tigers in the next generation is really strong. My guess is stronger than it's been for a while.

......Eat 'Em Alive!!!!!!

Terrfically said :)

Was never forced to barrack for anyone. But when I was old enough to identify each team I went through all the logos and picked the tigers. Never looked back since, was probably 4 or 5 years old.

I got so passionate about Richmond so early on my own my external relatives on both sides (all collingwood) tried to convert me, never did they win me over!

Go tigers

Born in 72. My parents are from Spain, so when they moved here when I was two, its in there culture that they have to support there local football club. Being we were located in South Yarra ( the commission flats that immigrants where posted to) Richmond was our club. My parents were keen to embrace the Aussie culture so my dad signed us up.

In Spain your club is a extension of your family and my dad assumed the same here. It's funny, in the early days he used to treat every goal like a soccer goal lol.

When I hit grade 4 I made my own mind to follow the tigers and have never looked back. Now im 41 with 4 boys 12 and under and yep you guessed it, they also are all tiger members :)

Can I ask a dumb question?

If you were born in 72 then why are you tiger 71?

The Yellow and Black runs through my veins. An primarily Irish Catholic family of 50+ with only three heretics.

My Nan (mum side) enjoys the Peptides, My Grandpa (dad side) is filthly and my poor cousin is Dee-vastated.

The rest of us are pure and true, god we gve it to nan in 95 :thumbsu:

Sort of similar. Irish people...Irish heritage people I suppose you'd call them...went for Richmond or Collingwood depending on circumstance.

Alright, I'm a little drunk cos... well 9 - 4. I'm 28. My dad gave me a Richmond Tiger teddy when I was 3 and that was it. Just went from there. Parents are Collingwood and St Kilda. Just because it was a teddy when I was toddler doesn't mean I am not the hard man you all assume I am.

EDIT: Must note, I've never wavered. For some reason, Richmond have always felt right. Even when we were absolute garbage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are you Yellow and Black?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back