Why arent we worried about our membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We used to be part of the "big 3" now we are entrenched in the bottom 3 interms of memberships.

Why is it so low, are we traditionally a slow starting club interms of memberships, will we even make 30 000 this year?

With our supporterbase-5th biggest Victorian club surely we should have an outcry if we dont remain in the 31-32 000+ bracket.

Has this drop off been expected by the club there hasnt been any press about it yet.

I wouldn't say we are "entrenched" in the bottom 3. Is only the start of February. That said, I expect a decline in Membership this year, hopefully not a big one but the dismal season in 2004, and the manner of our losses coupled with the un-hawthorn like off field goings on, will most probably result in a downturn.

i reckons if we play well in the wizard cup..and then win the 1st few games on the real seaon...our memberships will be boosted up abit

croadys_girl said:
i reckons if we play well in the wizard cup..and then win the 1st few games on the real seaon...our memberships will be boosted up abit

You really think so :eek: ???

im proud to say, that i (finally) became a "Hardcore Hawk" this year :D.. recieved my first email today :D

I will be heading in to Glenferrie Oval to purchase a membership sometime soon....maybe even tomorrow. My first year as a member.

One question though, being a newbie to membership....where can I sit when I get in free to the home games?

OK. It's confession time.....

Last year was the first time in 10 years I didn't buy a membership (am I still allowed to have an opinion?) and it was a conscious decision. Basically, I couldn't believe they reappointed Schwab and I was damned if I was going to support their decision with my hard earned money.

Now I might not be a "real" supporter like some of you but so be it, my daggy yellow scarf will only say "1", not "11".

I will buy a membership this year - I usually buy them at round 1- but after receiving a phone call tonight from Matthew Ball, asking me to join up, I may just get one this week.

binxy24 said:
... membership (am I still allowed to have an opinion?) and it was a conscious decision.
Yes, I don't see how someone that isn't a member of any club should not be allowed to have an opinion.

Now I might not be a "real" supporter like some of you but so be it, my daggy yellow scarf will only say "1", not "11".
This is one of those things I wish the club would do away with. Not sure if people are treated different based on your age and how long you have being a member but nobody should be, even non-members. You can still love the club without being a member.

The dog died, the cat became a C.Ling fan and the fish just couldn't be bothered.

Now that's taken care of any potential trolls (cause they're to late, it's done).

As for membership, get mine first round outside the ground every year. Only this year it'll be 2nd round as I can't make the trip up to Syd knee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grendel said:
The dog died, the cat became a C.Ling fan and the fish just couldn't be bothered.
My fish got tangled in his little membership scarf last year and was sucked into the filter of his tank. Tragic really! Sadly he will not be signing up again this year as there is a rule which states all pets must be alive to purchase memberships. :(

feher said:
This is one of those things I wish the club would do away with. Not sure if people are treated different based on your age and how long you have being a member but nobody should be, even non-members. You can still love the club without being a member.

I asked the club not to send me a scarf. I couldn't really see why it is important that I was a member in the 1980s, all that matters is I am one NOW. A new member is no less important than someone like me who has supported the club for many years. In a way, the new ones are more important because they are the future of the club. So, like you, I appreciate the scarf but wish they would do away with it.

It's a definite cause for worry. Apart from the usual reasons there could be some more.

1. The AFL looks after other clubs which are worse off - maybe fans think they can help the hawks too !

2. Bad taste from the Don Scott challenge - will not have impressed some people from both sides of the argument.

3. Poor form and lack of 'name' coach.

4. Waverley based people wondering why the hawks have not move out there yet.

5. Passion generated form 1996 has dissipated.

In any case it is just as well they have home games v coll, ess, carl, stk rich as it will help shore up the earnings side of the ledger. The club needs to get back on track in 2006 though

Pessimistic said:
It's a definite cause for worry. Apart from the usual reasons there could be some more.

1. The AFL looks after other clubs which are worse off - maybe fans think they can help the hawks too !

2. Bad taste from the Don Scott challenge - will not have impressed some people from both sides of the argument.

In any case it is just as well they have home games v coll, ess, carl, stk rich as it will help shore up the earnings side of the ledger. The club needs to get back on track in 2006 though

When things change, those who jump off now will be back. There's always a percentage of supporters who drop off when things are going poorly. Everyone's excited about St.Kilda and Geelong's increase in membership. I guarantee that if they have bad years in 2005, they also will have 2000 fewer signings at this time of the year in 2006.

Pessimistic said:

Ive got a confession-
I was an interstate member in 2000- to the end of 2003, but since I got my MCC membership last year Member associates have gone up, so Ive turned into abit of a slakker, btw other Hawthorn supporters dont follow my lead.

Its hard seeing your side playing once or twice a year.

But im thinking about joining this year.

Ive signed a couple of members up though.

Hardcore Hawk-yes
Paid up-no :(

btw, Id rather have a home game against Melbourne St.Kilda arent really a draw card-not enoughh supporters we always get better crowds against Melbourne

Well, I finally did it. After supporting the Hawks in voice since 1991 I am now financially supporting them (the difference being now I can afford it!). Many thanks to the social club reception people for guiding me through the process.

I for one love the membership scarves...I think they are a great idea and don't have an issue if people have the number 1 or 111 on it, it would be good to see 30,000 of the bright gold scarves flapping around at the games.

A quick question though re: member numbers....does anyone know the actual number of members we have so far? The number on the back of my membership card says 12011...but I doubt that is the actual number considering all of the different types of memberships.

Becker said:
I asked the club not to send me a scarf. I couldn't really see why it is important that I was a member in the 1980s, all that matters is I am one NOW. A new member is no less important than someone like me who has supported the club for many years. In a way, the new ones are more important because they are the future of the club. So, like you, I appreciate the scarf but wish they would do away with it.

I appreciate the reasoning behind the scarves. As a 5th year interstate member and having not seen Hawthorn play live since the final against Sydney in 1996. I would like the Hawks to change the item each year so that you don't just end up with a heap of scarves.. e.g a baseball type cap one year...a small cheap sport bag etc etc or perhaps even for milestone years 10years, 20 year member etc something a little bit special.

It might make the difference to an eight year member knowing that in a couple of years you might receive an autographed football or a jacket or something.

As a member who's membership is basically a donation it is nice to receive some recognition from the club each year.

Just recieved a letter from the club saying 17,000 members from last year are yet to sign.

Personally I am waiting to see what our game plan is like and I am interested in seeing what changes Clarkson has made before I even consider blowing my hard earned cashola.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why arent we worried about our membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back