Why can't Sydney pull a crowd?

Remove this Banner Ad

FMD Y bring Rugby League into it? U want to compare figures? Swans got 28K the next day, next door St George V Roosters got 36K. Swans rated 55k on tv n the AFL Anzac game rated under 50k lol enough said.

Why bother discussing with a one-eyed rugby fan who hates Australian Rules Football and wants to get that point out, we don't care, and for 25k who live in Sydney and who go to the matches, footy must be doing something right, or NO-ONE would go.

36K for a big NRL clash on Anzac Day isn't that flash of an attendance either considering the same amount turned up to see the Demons beat the Lions (Demons don't really pull crowds, 36K aint bad considering) :confused:, it seems that maybe it could be to do with the location, rather than the code?

They have been in Sydney for 28 years mate.

One year before Australia won the Americas Cup.

Olivia Newton Johns "Physical" was the number 1 song of the year.

Ghandi won best picture at the Academy Awards.

Malcolm Fraser was still Prime minister.

That is an entire generation ago.

You've been at Arden Street since 1869.

Before Ned Kelly was hanged.

Before there was a rail-link between Melbourne and Sydney.

Before Australia formed a Test team and sent it to England for the Ashes

heck, before the VFL was even formed.

Yet, North are pulling even lower home crowds.

What's your point?

Crowds in Sydney this week

40k to 1st ever super 14 game at anz. "derby" NSW v ACT
36k to the NRL's anzac equivalent to Ess/Coll
28K to Swans v WC
<all other NRL games>

Just on this one, every junior Rugby club in Sydney & Canberra got around 100 - 150 free tickets to this game. Conservatively at least half this crowd (probably closer to 2/3) were freebies.

GWS are going to be a complete disaster or it will be finally revealed that membership numbers and attendances are a very distant second to television revenue.

There has to be massive concerns about GWS and their ability to pull a crowd, not only up in Sydney, but what about North Melbourne V GWS or Western Bulldogs V GWS?

There has to be massive concerns about GWS and their ability to pull a crowd, not only up in Sydney, but what about North Melbourne V GWS or Western Bulldogs V GWS?

Who cares? It's not up to GWS or any non-Victorian side for that matter, to draw crowds for the lower profile Victorian sides.

The non-Victorian sides have to rely on their own fanbase showing up to get good crowds every week (well, barring the derbies). I don't see why it shouldn't be the same for the Kangaroos, Bulldogs, Melbourne, etc.

No! it's a League of a certain type of sport

thank you, i stand correct

anyway its a bit harder in sydney to get people to go to sport

for one, sydney is a far more asian city than melbourne. melbourne is the town that has all the european descendants which is why getting italians, greeks and croat descendants to afl is not seen to be embarrassing or culture-clashing.

whereas the asian society is not that sports conscious. and sydney feels like more an extension of asia especially if you go to burwood, cabramatta. compared that to melbs or perth (a town for grumpy english descendants who have retired after not seeing the sun their whole life)

hmmm... i seem to have watched too many john safran documentaries...

[/Panda Bear over and out...]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The situation at the moment is that the Sydney Swans crowd is the crowd of one club with very few opposition supporters . That is not the case with the comparisons being made here .
Yes , the GWS seems to be a leap of faith , but it's not just the case of introducing another club and seeing what happens . There are immediate benefits - namely there will be an AFL game in Sydney each week and two derbies each year , plus an extra amount of TV revenue that will go towards funding their existance .ATM the GWS are on the right track .
Already we see the GCFC is tracking very well . AFL every week in QLD , two derbies , extra revenue and the healthy position of the Lions sees AFL with a very healthy future in QLD .

for one, sydney is a far more asian city than melbourne. melbourne is the town that has all the european descendants which is why getting italians, greeks and croat descendants to afl is not seen to be embarrassing or culture-clashing.

whereas the asian society is not that sports conscious. and sydney feels like more an extension of asia especially if you go to burwood, cabramatta. compared that to melbs or perth (a town for grumpy english descendants who have retired after not seeing the sun their whole life)]

Not sure where you get yours facts from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Australian

Thanks to the Mod who pulled my comment last night:thumbsdown:This thread has been a waste of space started by an embittered North flog, and just gets worse, complete now with league trolls. This will probably be deleted as well I suppose?:mad:

I think it's pretty obvious that Brad Roo is an alias of one of the mods, that's the only explanation as to why the trolling is allowed to continue. Great job Big Footy.

I think it's pretty obvious that Brad Roo is an alias of one of the mods, that's the only explanation as to why the trolling is allowed to continue. Great job Big Footy.
Oh yes, hence his absurd references to his connection to admin:thumbsdown: Terrible work BF, this needs to be sorted out. Any mods with an ounce of guts willing to fix up this charade?

...anyway its a bit harder in sydney to get people to go to sport

whereas the asian society is not that sports conscious. and sydney feels like more an extension of asia especially if you go to burwood, cabramatta. compared that to melbs or perth (a town for grumpy english descendants who have retired after not seeing the sun their whole life)

Utter rot (except maybe for the Perth reference).

OK First - You obviously haven't been to Box Hill - or Richmond - or Springvale - or the Western suburbs of Melbourne. In fact have you been to Melbourne at all? The fact is, the % of Asians in Melbourne is only marginally less than Sydney.

Second - You haven't been to the footy in Melbourne. Otherwise you will know that lots of Asians attend - especially Western Bulldogs, who have a large Vietnamese supporters group, also Hawthorn and Richmond, but all clubs have their Asian supporters.

Heck, AFL games are even broadcast here in Chinese on ethnic radio.

Don't try again.

Another thing would be the fact Sydney have become a realtively successful club in the Roos Era so the demographic of it's fans are either old South Melbourne fans, People who don't like League in NSW and kids. In NSW schools kids are generally more fond of AFL then NRL as most find it more exciting. So when these kids grow up to around 20 in the next ten years or so I would expect the Attendances to boom a little. Plus Sydneysiders generally stay at home to watch sporting events.

you're kidding right? I go to a school in the heart of Sydney's inner-west.. and i can readily guarantee that the amount of kids following the NRL dwarfs the AFL's numbers. What a rubbish claim.

They are sitting 4-1, yet only 28,000 show up to a game against their biggest rival in a city with a metropolitan population of 4.5 million.

They have champion players of the calibre of Goodes and Kirk, exciting youngsters and have maintained an excellent standard of on field performance, yet are still floundering in the attendance stakes. Why?

It was against WestCE. To be fair I wouldn't want to go to that match.

People in Sydney just don't care as much about sport as Melbourne folk.

Their rugby league crowds are even worse.

It's nothing to do with the swans not being exciting etc, it's just a cultural thing up here. I don't know what Sydney people do on their weekends, but sport is way down the list.

I was at the Roos match, good atmosphere for 30k. In this case North don't draw large crowds and Sydney being an interstate team...

I'd expect a 30,000+ crowd for Brisbane next Saturday night.

I'd expect a close to full house at the SCG. Top of the table clash.

Oh yes, hence his absurd references to his connection to admin:thumbsdown: Terrible work BF, this needs to be sorted out. Any mods with an ounce of guts willing to fix up this charade?

Couldn't help but notice that as soon as his epic failure of a thread on the bay made mention of a mod alias it was immediately closed. How odd.:rolleyes:

thank you, i stand correct

anyway its a bit harder in sydney to get people to go to sport

Maybe the asian population in Sydney just does not like rugby league because it is not a good product.

I am asian and I love my Hawks and I have many asian friends that love footy and attend matches as well.

By the way, Sydney and Melbourne both have approximately the same percentage of asians so your argument was weak and full of crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why can't Sydney pull a crowd?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back