Why did Port Adelaide trade their 2xAA backman Dan Houston for half-eaten dorito chip

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL list managers seem to weirdly put emotions and comradery in the centre of negotiations which allows teams to make enormous unders because they want to feel like a good guy.

AFL industry is just odd that way. We are as ruthless as a kitten playing with a blanket.

This is not a Port Adelaide issue. Its across most of the competition. We have what id say 4 teams outside this rule. Richmind/Geelong/Hawks/Collingwood . Not surprising to me why they are the most successful teams. It is to others for some odd reason

Last edited:
AFL list managers seem to weirdly put emotions and comradery in the centre of negotiations which allows teams to make enormous unders because they want to feel like a good guy.

AFL industry is just odd that way. We are as ruthless as a kitten playing with a blanket.

This is not a Port Adelaide issue. Its across most of the competition. We have what id say 4 teams outside this rule. Richmind/Geelong/Hawks/Collingwood . Not surprising to me why they are the most successful teams. It is to others for some odd reason
Your side and mine have both been more successful than the Pies and Tigers in the AFL era.

So ...
Atkins is a perma-sub, the wrong side of 30 and played 3 games last year.
Richards is a mature-age recruit yet to prove anything at the level

Why bring these two in? Let alone trade for them.
it's the one question on most people's mind!
would seem to most to be a bizarre decision, with no upside to it.
Would be extremely frustrated if being a Pt Adel member.

Because Connors manages petracca as well as houston. Managers were never dealing with Melbourne, after not letting petracca go. They then tell port they won't push players their way when they fall our of contract. They have far too great a say in the footy landscape and it's created tiers within the comp and "destination" clubs where they funnel players to their mates.

It's an old boys club mentality and Andrew Dillon should be spending far more time on this ruining our game rather than Josh fahey on a mad Monday

Because Connors manages petracca as well as houston. Managers were never dealing with Melbourne, after not letting petracca go. They then tell port they won't push players their way when they fall our of contract. They have far too great a say in the footy landscape and it's created tiers within the comp and "destination" clubs where they funnel players to their mates.

It's an old boys club mentality and Andrew Dillon should be spending far more time on this ruining our game rather than Josh fahey on a mad Monday

Interesting. Started a thread on this.

Few years back Melbourne Demons tried to assassinate Brand Petracca by drowning him.
Didn't work, but we didn't give up either, sent him out at the Big Kings Birthday game with half a spleen.
Traumatised the poor campaigner so bad he didn't even attend our B&F.

If anyone deserves "fresh start" it's him but he asked for a trade and we laughed in his face. Sorry mate, few years left to run on that thing you signed!

Clayton Oliver, he's done alright by us. 2xAFLCA, couple of AA, few best and fairests I think.
Had a rough time apparently, just wants the simple life, nice farm away from the big smoke, get himself a John Deere.
So keen to leave he even said he'd take a pay cut. We told him to **** off too.

Dan Houston said like 2 weeks ago he was happy to stay if Port can't get a nice trade but they basically just gave him away to bloody Collingwood of all teams.

QUESTION FOR BIGFOOTY BRAINS TRUST:

Why don't clubs just hold their players to contract? Dees did and everyone's having a great time.

Melbs admin do something the members don’t like what happens? What is the repercussions?

The members vote on the board, if they piss the members off they’re all out of a job.

Port fans don’t have that ability. The afl cooked it so we can’t. They pick the majority of our board. Hell, they’ve basically pissed on us for a decade now.

So when people complain about vicbias, and those of you who claim it doesn’t exist just have your heads in the sand. Our board doesn’t work for its members, it works for the afl.

Absolutely none of what I’ve said is opinion, or conspiracy, it’s cold hard facts.

Has all the credibility of a bush league.

No matter how many plaudits they have… half back flankers really aren’t worth that much, and the league knows it.

They're very easily replaced.
Much as I disagree with the Houston trade, this is a valid point of view.

Port Adelaide have Kane Farrell to come back from injury, Logan Evans came into the team mid year with immediate impact, and Jase Burgoyne played a great HB role through finals. This is the thinking that our recruiting team clearly held.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawson is a better player than Houston and we got less from that trade.

The OP is simply delusional.

Generally speaking :

1. Players that genuinely want to leave. Leave. If they can.
2. Players leave when a club they want to go has the MONEY to accommodate them.

Reality is no other club would pay Oliver what he is on at Melbourne. Not even close. He had no choice but stay.

I suspect the same may be the same for Petracca re $$$ but possibly he didn't genuinely wanted to leave but just wanted to make a point.

Absolutely, with the club infighting and fractions between the playing group , players wanting out , toxic administration , must be a hell of a place to be involved with .
They are having a ****ing great time mate. Best club.

Melbs admin do something the members don’t like what happens? What is the repercussions?

The members vote on the board, if they piss the members off they’re all out of a job.

Port fans don’t have that ability. The afl cooked it so we can’t. They pick the majority of our board. Hell, they’ve basically pissed on us for a decade now.

So when people complain about vicbias, and those of you who claim it doesn’t exist just have your heads in the sand. Our board doesn’t work for its members, it works for the afl.

Absolutely none of what I’ve said is opinion, or conspiracy, it’s cold hard facts.

Has all the credibility of a bush league.
I think Melbourbe FC is owned by the MCC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why did Port Adelaide trade their 2xAA backman Dan Houston for half-eaten dorito chip

Remove this Banner Ad

Back