Opinion Why do Geelong get the final round fixture in Geelong every season (since the mid 2000's) ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats getting an artificial % boost via playing a bottom 4 side at home in the final round is just another lever the AFL pull for the result they want.
Now watch GWS get torched by the umps to ensure Geelong dont face Sydney in Sydney.
You dont know how percentage works do you?
hint: it's not more significant in the final round

Imagine for a minute that you only play 9 truely home games for the year and 1 of those was Round 1 & 1 was Round 24

Meaning that Geelong plays just 7 times in 22 weeks at it real home ground which is a real home game once every 3.14 weeks

Not that it matters but what if Geelong asked the AFL to play all 9 GMHBA games in the back end of the year so from round 13 to 24 they never leave GMHBA every single supporter of other clubs would complain about home ground advantage.

Perfect Fixture would be

Rounds 1-13 - 5 interstate Trips (including gather round)
2 Home MCG games
5 (Away) Matches vs MCG/Marvel Tenants
1 bye

Rounds 14 -24 - 9 Home Games @ GMHBA

Every club in the AFL would be complaining if they didn't get a "Real" Home game until after there mid-season bye

You dont know how percentage works do you?
hint: it's not more significant in the final round
Lol, of course it is if youre playing a bottom 4 side and can manipulate the margin in the final round to position yourself where you think is best.
Cats played before GWS and Port, both who could have had different results than they did.

So by jumping above GWS on % they got out of Sydney in Sydney but below Port who had they lost to Freo as many predicted, could have dropped below the Cats on %.
If the Cats jumped over Port into 2nd by going on with their 1st half domination and GWS won they'd be pushed to 3rd and away to GWS and then if Port won they'd be back to 4th and facing Sydney again.
Finishing with enough % to be 3rd meant GWS could go down to Dogs, stay 4th and not travel to AO, GWS were never in a position to finish 2nd.
Sydney in Sydney is better than Port at AO.
By not jumping over Port on % it meant the pressure was off Port to win who may have gone down by enough(20pts) to drop to 3rd and hand Cats a Melbourne final.

If you hadnt worked that out then I think its you that doesnt know how it works.

Lol, of course it is if youre playing a bottom 4 side and can manipulate the margin in the final round to position yourself where you think is best.
Cats played before GWS and Port, both who could have had different results than they did.

So by jumping above GWS on % they got out of Sydney in Sydney but below Port who had they lost to Freo as many predicted, could have dropped below the Cats on %.
If the Cats jumped over Port into 2nd by going on with their 1st half domination and GWS won they'd be pushed to 3rd and away to GWS and then if Port won they'd be back to 4th and facing Sydney again.
Finishing with enough % to be 3rd meant GWS could go down to Dogs, stay 4th and not travel to AO, GWS were never in a position to finish 2nd.
Sydney in Sydney is better than Port at AO.
By not jumping over Port on % it meant the pressure was off Port to win who may have gone down by enough(20pts) to drop to 3rd and hand Cats a Melbourne final.

If you hadnt worked that out then I think its you that doesnt know how it works.
What an imaginative hypothetical. Now if the AFL wanted Geelong to determine their ladder position in the last round, surely they would have them playing the final game to get the most of the manipulation. But they have Port playing the final game at home against a perennial choker. But no-one is suggesting that was to favour Port.

Don't tell me, you're one of the Vicbias cookers

Since the mid 2000's Geelong have had a fixture at home every season leading into the finals. Firstly why is this? do Geelong have a deal with the A.F.L ? so they won't complain about not having finals in Geelong? also why isn't this discussed more often ? it's probably the worst fixture anomaly in the game.

I realize that the VIc teams don't really travel either in the final round but that's for another thread.
Right... That is the worst fixture anomaly in the game :drunk:

What an imaginative hypothetical. Now if the AFL wanted Geelong to determine their ladder position in the last round, surely they would have them playing the final game to get the most of the manipulation. But they have Port playing the final game at home against a perennial choker. But no-one is suggesting that was to favour Port.

Don't tell me, you're one of the Vicbias cookers
No one expected Port to be top 4 never mind top 2 when they released the rd24 draw.
Port didnt play at home in rd24.

Geelong made the most of its situation, gave themselves a chance at a home qualifier that it may not have got finishing higher before Port played.
They also avoided minor premier Sydney.
Im sure if you asked CS, away to Port would be the 2nd best result.

No one expected Port to be top 4 never mind top 2 when they released the rd24 draw.
Port didnt play at home in rd24.

Geelong made the most of its situation, gave themselves a chance at a home qualifier that it may not have got finishing higher before Port played.
They also avoided minor premier Sydney.
Im sure if you asked CS, away to Port would be the 2nd best result.

Yeah, with Port Adelaide in third spot and having just beaten the top ranked side by 19 goals when they released the fixture for round 24, there’s no way anyone could have predicted they would be in the top four. It was such a surprise hey.

It’s definitely a conspiracy designed to allow Geelong to manipulate the percentages up and down in any way they see fit, as we are wont to do.

I hope this pressing issue can be dealt with appropriately and everyone gets the necessary assistance

Yeah, with Port Adelaide in third spot and having just beaten the top ranked side by 19 goals when they released the fixture for round 24, there’s no way anyone could have predicted they would be in the top four. It was such a surprise hey.

It’s definitely a conspiracy designed to allow Geelong to manipulate the percentages up and down in any way they see fit, as we are wont to do.

I hope this pressing issue can be dealt with appropriately and everyone gets the necessary assistance
There was 6pts separating us and 9th after that game, we had Dees at the MCG, the Showdown and Freo at Optus.
None of which were guaranteed wins, infact the AFL's own report on the rd24 fixture suggested our game against Freo could decide who made top 4.
In the end we won all 3, had 2nd sewn up before our rd24 bounce and Freo weren't in the top4 equation.
They also said Geelong would be looking to push further up the ladder playing WC at GMHBA.

There was 6pts separating us and 9th after that game, we had Dees at the MCG, the Showdown and Freo at Optus.
None of which were guaranteed wins, infact the AFL's own report on the rd24 fixture suggested our game against Freo could decide who made top 4.
In the end we won all 3, had 2nd sewn up before our rd24 bounce and Freo weren't in the top4 equation.
They also said Geelong would be looking to push further up the ladder playing WC at GMHBA.

Who. The f**k. Cares. You were in the top four and they gave you the last game of the season to control YOUR own destiny, coming off three wins in a row, five wins in six games, including 19 goals against the team ranked #1.

It a conspiracy though, that much I do know.

Est. 1997

I hope the irony of a Port supporter being upset at this year's fixture despite having the easiest run after a top 4 finish in 2023 isn't being lost on anyone.

GV_KKA8acAAMbee

Who. The f**k. Cares. You were in the top four and they gave you the last game of the season to control YOUR own destiny, coming off three wins in a row, five wins in six games, including 19 goals against the team ranked #1.

It a conspiracy though, that much I do know.
Clearly you do, or you wouldnt have responded to my thoughts.
And thats what they are, my thoughts, you wont change them.

For the record, I dont care what you think or to respond to you anymore.
Youre the most self righteous thing on this site.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly you do, or you wouldnt have responded to my thoughts.
And thats what they are, my thoughts, you wont change them.

For the record, I dont care what you think or to respond to you anymore.
Youre the most self righteous thing on this site.

The who cares comment was related to the idea that anyone can possibly care enough about this to even suspect that there’s a conspiracy. It’s kindergarten level.

No, I’m just someone who knows that the organisers of the AFL don’t schedule Geelong-West Coast games on a Saturday afternoon three weeks out from the game so the Cats can manipulate the for and against to finish in particular positions.

The who cares comment was related to the idea that anyone can possibly care enough about this to even suspect that there’s a conspiracy. It’s kindergarten level.

No, I’m just someone who knows that the organisers of the AFL don’t schedule Geelong-West Coast games on a Saturday afternoon three weeks out from the game so the Cats can manipulate the for and against to finish in particular positions.
I was taking the pi55 clown, lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Why do Geelong get the final round fixture in Geelong every season (since the mid 2000's) ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back