Why do I bother supporting Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn supporters are just that........ Hawthorn supporters.

I have never seen the Hawks play live for premiership points. I have been a member for 5 years. I don't live in Melbourne or anywhere the Hawks play - home or away.

If we (the club, the members) choose/vote to change something and it gets through - fine, I support the change, I may have voted against it but I accept the change and would defend it to any other clubs supporters.

I wasn't happy with Schwab... but I didn't stop watching... I didn't want to lose Croad, but it was awesome to get Hodge, I don't like seeing us get beat by 90 but I cheer the 5 goals we kick in those games!

I am for an alternate strip - it could mean an extra $100,000 in the kitty - but if it doesn't come through then big woop.

A supporter is like a player - if you're not committed to the club 100% then $%^& off.

So you ask why bother?? don't bother...... ******** off to Richmond.

col44 said:
Hawthorn supporters are just that........ Hawthorn supporters.

I have never seen the Hawks play for premiership points. I have been a member for 5 years. I don't live in Melbourne or anywhere the Hawks play - home or away.

If we (the club, the members) choose/vote to change something and it gets through - fine, I support the change, I may have voted against it but I accept the change and would defend it to any other clubs supporters.

I wasn't happy with Schwab... but I didn't stop watching... I didn't want to lose Croad, but it was awesome to get Hodge, I don't like seeing us get beat by 90 but I cheer the 5 goals we kick in those games!

I am for an alternate strip - it could mean an extra $100,000 in the kitty - but if it doesn't come through then big woop.

A supporter is like a player - if you're not committed to the club 100% then $%^& off.

So you ask why bother?? don't bother...... ******** off to Richmond.

seems like exploiting peoples loyalty and trust to me, plus their hard earned $$

with petrol prices rocketing , watch many familys have to make a decision on if they should get memberships - ESPECIALLY with hawks supporters, who still have a huge base in the knox/monash district and the surrounding suburbs of the old waverly park demographic. lots of families, middle class - NO PUBLIC TRANSPORT. don't you think they should be ENCOURAGING supporters to be members?

I grew up in the 80's when hawthorn were amazing, something to respect and admire. they always played to win, they never gave in, and they were loyal to its players, and worked hard to retain them.Their current direction is not that, if you are happy with what they are doing to your club, so be it, but i would not be happy with my club EVER taking a deliberate action to lose to win.

Sydney didnt need to do this to win a flag, so why do you feel the need to? all they used was a great team structue with a heroic team attitude.

"So you ask why bother?? don't bother...... ******** off to Richmond."

as for that comment - no need for that attitude. i havent been a twit with my opinion, and you should bloody grow up

astro_toby said:
seems like exploiting peoples loyalty and trust to me, plus their hard earned $$

with petrol prices rocketing , watch many familys have to make a decision on if they should get memberships - ESPECIALLY with hawks supporters, who still have a huge base in the knox/monash district and the surrounding suburbs of the old waverly park demographic. lots of families, middle class - NO PUBLIC TRANSPORT. don't you think they should be ENCOURAGING supporters to be members?

I grew up in the 80's when hawthorn were amazing, something to respect and admire. they always played to win, they never gave in, and they were loyal to its players, and worked hard to retain them.Their current direction is not that, if you are happy with what they are doing to your club, so be it, but i would not be happy with my club EVER taking a deliberate action to lose to win.

Sydney didnt need to do this to win a flag, so why do you feel the need to? all they used was a great team structue with a heroic team attitude.

as for that comment - no need for that attitude. i havent been a twit with my opinion, and you should bloody grow up
Astro boy your a dead set legend :thumbsu:

I agree 100%

Mighty Hawk said:
You both are true Hawk Legends.

I have live in Melbourne, seen hundreds of games.
Have seen great (and worse) finals, grand finals and ran on the MCG.

I was there in 96 and voted against that horrible M word.

I go every week (in melb) , win lose or draw (i love my club)

But you guys have out done me. living interstate and still sticking
with the Hawks is unbelievable.

One thing i havent done yet tho is watch the Hawks interstate :(

What kind of fan can i call myself :(
Your a true supporter :thumbsu:

You were one of the 12 000 who turned up for our worst performance in 50 odd years.

Your not one of the 10's 000's who turned up to the Dunstall game, the Ansett Cup etc, which I have been to. To me you empitimize the Hawthorn spirit. Are you against the move to Waverley?

Adelaide Hawk said:
I can understand your passion. I don't know if this makes much difference but I've supported the Hawks for 37 years and I've lived in Adelaide all my life. Until the AFL was formed I had to watch the Hawks on TV or travel to Melbourne to see them play. When I see the Hawks play here in Adelaide we usually get belted.

If I supported a club just for the reason of being able to see them play I'd support Crows or Power, and that just ain't gonna happen. I guess what I'm trying to say is there's more to supporting a club than just rolling up on a weekend to watch them play.

Supporting is more about belief in a club. You should have enough belief in the Hawks that you would be prepared to support them no matter how many games they play in Melbourne.

I've probably seen the Hawks play in the flesh less than 20 times in 37 years but I wouldn't support any other club.

I understand your problems.

In remember going to a game in 2000/2001 when we got flogged at the GABBA. I was about 13-14 at the time, and was walking out with my dad and a couple of his mates, I think we were going to the then Lions social club. Anyway we got absolutely belted that day, and some 20 something Lion supporter screamed out to me "The Hawks suck." So I screamed back to him, "**** at least we have some silver ware when was the last time you won anything." Man I was wrong as they went onto win 3 successive flags by you get the point. That's what I love about living in enemy territory you cop in sweet and give it strong. My favourite win for some years was the Lions game; watched it in the Norman with a few guys. It was hilarious to see the looks on there faces when we won. Best following week ever :D I was a real bastard that week :D

Mighty Hawk said:
If we change our club from anyhting but 'Hawthorn Hawks'
with our base being out of Glenferrie, then i will be the first one
at the club pounding down thier door.

Dude it wont happen, i went through 96 first hand.

The club will never try and pull the wool over the supporters eyes
again. They know what will happen.

I am against alternative strips also.

I am very much a traditionalist. Brown and gold stripes. thats it.

I know we have had other strips in the past, but our success we
achieved in the 70's and 80's was in that borwn and gold striped jumper.

We should never change it.

What i find ludicrous is that they want us to have an away clash jumper.

What the ******** dows brown and gold stripes clash with?

idiots.

I am with you dude!
Don got critized alot but at least you knew where his heart lay.

Against popular opinion I hated the Heritage top this year. I say bring back the 1970's jumper

astro_toby said:

My comments, as depicted in the opening passage was for Hawthorn supporters.

I call for loyalty and unity and democracy. We can be great, we can be loyal and who cares what another club supporter thinks.

You seemed to respond to my comments, but you obviously didn't read them. I said you don't have to agree with a decision but once its made deal with it. Why cry about what could have and what should have.

Thats not what we do at Hawthorn...
And as for your comment "i havent been a twit with my opinion, and you should bloody grow up".

Never called you a twit... don't know where that came from.
Just appears to me that you're attempting to cause disention amongst the supporters. We don't need it, ta.

The rest of your comments are completely irrelevant to anything else I said. But if you have some special ideas or opinions please feel free to write a letter to the Hawthorn board, just don't forget to put on the back....

'From a Concerned Richmond and/or Carlton supporter'

col44 said:
My comments, as depicted in the opening passage was for Hawthorn supporters.

I call for loyalty and unity and democracy. We can be great, we can be loyal and who cares what another club supporter thinks.

me expressing my opinion IS a democracy.

col44 said:
Never called you a twit... don't know where that came from.
Just appears to me that you're attempting to cause disention amongst the supporters. We don't need it, ta.

and what exactly would i gain by "causing disention amongts supporters?" a revolution? cut the conspiracy theory and stop acting like hawthorn or any football club is an exclusive topic

can australians only speak or discuss australians?
can americans only speak or discuss American issues? (yeah right!)

feel free to express any reasonable, well put topics or opinions on the richmond board if you feel it worthy or thought provoking - and stop treating this board/ your club like a communist run country

Hawkk said:
Your a true supporter :thumbsu:

You were one of the 12 000 who turned up for our worst performance in 50 odd years.

Your not one of the 10's 000's who turned up to the Dunstall game, the Ansett Cup etc, which I have been to. To me you empitimize the Hawthorn spirit. Are you against the move to Waverley?

Thanks dude, i am very critical about the Hawks and what we have done over
the past ten years, but deep down i love my club.

I even chipped in from my own pocket when they nearly went to the wire.
My friends laughed at me but when you have seen 83 and then had to
go through 84 and 85 and feel that pain, i would of done anything not
to have us go under and give the SCUM that victory.

Funny thing was when it came to Wavelry i was the only one in
my group to want tog o to MCG. They all wanted to stay at Waverly.

I was best for the club to move in the long term.

I always think in the long term (especially going through 96)

col44 said:

I agree

astro_toby said:
at least i will go to games next year with a belief that we MAY win, getting rid of hay, rawlings, graham, spida, thompson - along with the rest your traded and cut in the past two years - along with the fact you have a coach that persisits with a gameplan which is frustratating and wasteful.doesnt show much thought has gone into giving your supporters something REAL to look forward to now? why not buy a membership in 3 years when their good and get your moneys worth? i mean thats the clubs attitude - why win games now if we arent going to win a flag?

the team which will make sure priority draft picks are vanquished

The the ******** are you on. A typical Richmond way of seeing things.
Lets support the team when they start winning :rolleyes

Typical Richmond Ferals.

I support my team when they are winning (70's, 80's) and even
more when they are going crap (last 15 years)

Hawkk said:
Don got critized alot but at least you knew where his heart lay.

Against popular opinion I hated the Heritage top this year. I say bring back the 1970's jumper

I was very much pro Don becuase of exactly what you said above.

Don puts self interests aside and is only concerned about Hawthorn first.

Thats why i admmire Quarters, no matter how much alot of people
bag him here, he puts Hawthorn first. (reasons too long to type but ive
told you before why)

Thats what everyone at the club should be doing.

Hawthorn first, AFL last.

astro_toby said:
and what exactly would i gain by "causing disention amongts supporters?" a revolution? cut the conspiracy theory and stop acting like hawthorn or any football club is an exclusive topic

can australians only speak or discuss australians?
can americans only speak or discuss American issues? (yeah right!)

feel free to express any reasonable, well put topics or opinions on the richmond board if you feel it worthy or thought provoking - and stop treating this board/ your club like a communist run country

I never made any personal remarks and my comments are my own. Unlike your comment of 'Grow up'.

My opinion was clearly different from yours and thats where I left it and thats where I'll leave it.

Its just as a general rule that I don't like whinger's...

By the way, who do you support?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mighty Hawk said:
The the ******** are you on. A typical Richmond way of seeing things.
Lets support the team when they start winning :rolleyes

Typical Richmond Ferals.

I support my team when they are winning (70's, 80's) and even
more when they are going crap (last 15 years)

so do i, thats why i have been a member over the past 20years, despite our very minimal success. but at no stage did i ever feel like the club itself was deliberately trying to limit its level of success over a 3 year, or even 1year period - to try and gain itself in glory later. not a very proud way to become a winner.

you and stkilda made a cute couple at waverley, if you both still shared the ground you could have renamed in PRIORITY PARK, im remembrance to how you both have / will gain your success

col44 said:
I never made any personal remarks and my comments are my own. Unlike your comment of 'Grow up'.

My opinion was clearly different from yours and thats where I left it and thats where I'll leave it.

Its just as a general rule that I don't like whinger's...

By the way, who do you support?

"grow up" is in reference to being told ****** off

Hawkk said:

I love that jumper.

We will be using it alot more from next year.

But i still dont understand why we need an alternate strip
when our colors dont clash with any other side. :thumbsdown:

astro_toby said:
so do i, thats why i have been a member over the past 20years, despite our very minimal success. but at no stage did i ever feel like the club itself was deliberately trying to limit its level of success over a 3 year, or even 1year period - to try and gain itself in glory later. not a very proud way to become a winner.

you and stkilda made a cute couple at waverley, if you both still shared the ground you could have renamed in PRIORITY PARK, im remembrance to how you both have / will gain your success

I cant believe what im reading.

You are saying we are deliberatly loosing games to get picks.

Your an idiot.

We BEAT your mob in 2003 to get off the BOTTOM of the ladder.

Where did you guys finish?

We were in the opportunity to lose to Carlton and get last place
but we beat them and then went on and beat the scum
and finished 3rd last.

Seriously dude, get your facts right, take those rose colored glasses off
and start smelling the grass.

I always say Richmond fans are one of the most deluded out there.

You guys dont see it do you.

Astro is 100% correct, to say its done now so dont cry over it is stupid, very stupid. Would you have said the same in 1996, it was Don so lets get over it. We need to alert the club that this not what we want. As I said before Im more then happy with the 9:2 split as it reflects our supporter base being split between Tassie and Victoria. If you dont make noise nothing will be done and it will roll on and on and on. circa early 1990's to 1996.

I disagree Mighty Hawk regarding Waverley we have alot of supporters in the region who have poor access to Transport. It was important we made some noise so that we could keep the support, but we knew we had no chance of winning the battle. The advantage is we have a training base out there so we can keep in very close touch with that area as well as our other areas.

I just get ********ed off that we are treated like a peice of dirt, make no mistakes the AFL is still very bitter about 1996, it is a credit to the club we are still here let alone prospering, but I have to agree with Mighty Hawk the club has been slipping aka Melbourne of the 1960's, lets hope it doesnt get that bad.

We need to stand up and be counted, by if we are just going to accept it well im worried :( We need to make some noise.

Astro Boy is only trying to give an honest opinion from afar we are in denial if we dont take it on board. I agree 100% Astro :thumbsu:

I was on the North board abit today and I can tell you they treat opposition supporters with respect and dignity, its the least we could do

Mighty Hawk said:

Your an idiot.

and finished 3rd last.

2004 ;)

Its the only way to get up to the top these days, we used to be fortunate we had Dandedong, Box Hill etc as zoning grounds, now they have gone its the only way you can win a premiership

Ive said once and Ive said it 1000 times, nothing gets changed if you dont get out there and make it change. In this case it's by telling the club that you dont like the idea of the 4 games away and much perfer the 2 game system.

Its a popular belief that we need to because we are cash strapped; thats just bullocks.

We represent over 1 000 000 people, and have 3 grand training facilities to ourselves. We also have a grand home ground at both the "g" and a home away from home in Tassie. That is all. Im just sick of Andrew "I cant spell his last name" running the show, anytime someone disagree's with him, he boots them out.

No, I will not let this slip, this club is slipping at moment and we must put it back on the rails.

Mighty Hawk said:

Your an idiot.

and finished 3rd last.

look at the proof?

1)hired a completely untried coach, who is persisting with a gameplan which everyone in the football media believes is unproductive for the side you have

2) it is widely spoken terry did not want to coach hawthorn based on they strategy to building a flag capable side i.e he HAS a reputation as a winning coach, he wishes to keep.

3) you CONTINUE to have a complete exodus off ALL senior players, and this season even a brownlow winning/ captain has been said to be leaving(despite it not happening - NO ONE was particulary shocked or suprised if it was true) and now even the talk is spida, an AA player for the club - could become trading fodder, along with Hay. blind freddy can see what your club is trying to achieve. you may not be deliberately losing, but you are making sure you limit your chances of success.

the club though relies on your $$$$ to survive, and the fact the expect ppl to pay up and be a "real supporter" and support the team when its down, is especting its supporters to sit through 3-4 seasons i.e 66-88 games of this extremely long and extremely dramtic rebuilding stage. i don't mind sticking by my side when the chips are down, but what you are doing is similar to ppl exploiting welfare - a system put in to help those in need, and bleeding it for self gain and greed.

name ONE thing, despite draft picks, that your club has done in the past two years to improve this side

Hawkk said:
2004 ;)

Its the only way to get up to the top these days, we used to be fortunate we had Dandedong, Box Hill etc as zoning grounds, now they have gone its the only way you can win a premiership

Ah the pain is longer than i imagined :)

I understand what AB is saying but he doesnt understand
that his team has done at as well.

I mean the club has been crap for 20 years and he says he respects
his club for not falling to the bottom? havent they won two spoons
in the past 20 years?

How many spoons did St Kilda win in the past 20 years?

How many spoons have we won?

I understand that the system we have now is the way poorer
and weeker clubs get to try and make it to the top.

But thats really pathetic.

I dont want my club to do it, or watch other clubs do it.

I would like it to be an even playing field. If you can find the talent
and sign them up, then good on you. Why have your hands tied?

If you can manage the affairs of your club, promote it well, make
money and buy players or entice them to your club, then why not?

Look at COllingwood.

All the mnoney in the world cant buy them success. They have to resort to falling to the bottom of th lader to get the picks as well.

So do the blues, and the Bombers will be next.

I hope you will go on thier sites TB and accuse them of deliberatly
losing games to get thier team back to winning games.

Seriously its a joke.

but like ive said in the past, the AFL is a joke.

DynamoUltra said:
I'm the same. I don't see how it would benefit us if we play the Kangaroos and Richmond down in Tassie. That would then mean there is a high probability we play other interstate teams away. It is a bit of a joke. 7/22 home games in Melbourne... I can understand 3 home games interstate, ie the usual two in Tassie and the Gold Coast experiment, but that extra one in Tassie is a bit beyond me.
Dynamo the thing is it should only be 9:2 as a maximum.

We already have enough to draw from with Tasmaina and the Eastern suburbs. Any more and you get to a stage where you are isloating supporters..thats a big "no no"

I dont care if I never can see my team live as long as they keep the history, culture and identity. Cause at the end of the season thats what you can hold your hat on.

Mighty Hawk said:

Your an idiot.

and finished 3rd last.

and the following year we improved dramatically by making producitve improvements to the team, which lead to an immediate improvement, with a very firm eye on the future. sure you will get better, and when you have 6-8 top 4picks running around the side in a few years, you will surely be better. but you sold out to do it

Why do I bother supporting Hawthorn?

Man, where to start?

I'm not going to get into drafting our stars (or coulda-beens), or the home-and-away split for next year, or the Melbourne Dorks schemozzle, or losing for draft picks (which we didn't do so it's a non-issue in my book)...

I bother supporting Hawthorn because I was given an old Wangaratta juniors jumper when I was 5.

Because I was beaten up in primary school more than once for wearing a brown'n'gold scarf.

Because I thought about changing teams back in '81 (hey, I was 11) and decided to stick with the Hawks.

Because while everyone else idolised Matthews and Knights, I thought Tuck was God.

Because I was a teenager in the 80's.

Because I learned about pain in the 90's.

Because the team I support almost ceased to exist.

Because I lived in Sydney for several years and hung on every scrap of news I could get about the Hawks.

Because I converted my Sydneysider wife to AFL and brought her back to Melbourne with me (you can imagine the screams at my place last weekend!).

Because my eldest daughter follows the Swans (her mum's team) and my youngest daughter follows the "Horforn Hawks."

Because, when it's all said and done... why wouldn't I?

They're my team.

;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do I bother supporting Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back