Why do people rate Pavlich ahead of Riewoldt ?

Remove this Banner Ad

celtic_pride

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 12, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
B.Celtics, FC Barcelona, Leeds Utd
I've never understood that on BF, time and time again, whenever there is a thread or a poll on who is the better player, Matthew Pavlich or Nick Riewoldt, the overwhelming consensus is Pavlich ...

I have never understand stood or grasped that logic, maybe I'll give u that Pavlich has the more natural football ability, however, Riewoldts record in crunch/big games is much more impressive then Pavlich, and is a far better captain and leader then Pav.

He's also kicked 45 goals this year, and is an decent shot for the Brownlow medal ... His kicking at goal has improved quite a bit this year as well.

I recall last year at Etihad stadium, that Pavlich in the final quarter had a big chance to win the game for Freo, but missed a couple of deadset sitters in front of goal, something I don't think Riewoldt would have done in the same situation ...

Riewoldt's courage can also never be question (and is a much better contested mark then Pavlich)

Right now, Roo is just about the best/most influential player in the AFL (yes ahead of Ablett Jnr) and I get the impression he is hellbent on leading St.Kilda to a flag, and I don't get that same 'desire' to win from Pavlich, even if he does play for a mediocre club.

As unbeliveable as this sounds, I honestly reckon that in many ways, Nick Riewoldt is underrated, certainly by anyone's standards who would rate Matthew Pavlich ahead of him.

Put it this way, I think just about every other coach in the AFL would take Riewoldt ahead of Pavlich...

Once Reiwoldt has a lean patch and Pav strings together 4-5 good ones the pendulum will swing back the other way.

Ala Tambling being better than Franklin

I think its probably a personal thing, they just don't like Nick some reason or another.
Strip away that and Nick is certainly a better player to have in your side.

Not saying Pavlich is mediocre, he is great. Maybe he needs a change in scenery to get that extra step up. Pavlich in a contending side could be devastating.

Riewoldt just. The Brown/Pavlich/Riewoldt/Hall/Tredrea/Richardson debates are always to hard to pick a clear winner. I've always rated Tredrea and Riewoldt highly and sometimes been harsh on Brown. Although I do rate Brown higher now due to numerous arguments with posters like BrownDog who made some good points. Pavlich has been very good in an average team though so he should be rated highly.

If you rate Riewoldt higher than Pav, that's your opinion. Hey, I wouldn't swap Pav for any player in the comp, but that's my opinion and I understand many people don't share my sentiments and I'm sure most Saints fans feel the same about Riewoldt. Why start a thread on this subject anyway, it's been done to death.

Because Pavlich has had a much better career. I mean easily. EASILY. 6 All Australians to how many has Reiwoldt got? 1?

Honestly, its not even close. Perhaps you should try watching some interstate teams play some day. Ciao.

I honestly thought it was the other way around, Pav has been playing mostly midfield this season anyway, but Reiwoldt has been having a great season. Either way both teams are lucky to have them.

both incredible footballers
any club would pay the big bucks to have them....kudos to the saints and dockers for picking them up.
i would have 2 say Pavlich just, purely based on the fact that he has been all australian 6 times, in many different positions (back, midfield, forward). Currently Riewoldt is in better form, but id go Pavlich just because of his versatillity and engine. but geez its close.

I don't even know why people compare these two? Both completely different players and champions in there own right.... who really cares who is better? i love watching them both in full flight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never understood that on BF, time and time again, whenever there is a thread or a poll on who is the better player, Matthew Pavlich or Nick Riewoldt, the overwhelming consensus is Pavlich ...

Overwhelming??? I don't know about that, but Riewoldt and Pavlich are both elite.

I have never understand stood or grasped that logic, maybe I'll give u that Pavlich has the more natural football ability, however, Riewoldts record in crunch/big games is much more impressive then Pavlich, and is a far better captain and leader then Pav.

How many Crunch/Big games have you based this one? Two? The Geelong game where he hit the post and the one you mention below? How... must make him a worse captain and leader.... Stupid Statement.

He's also kicked 45 goals this year, and is an decent shot for the Brownlow medal ... His kicking at goal has improved quite a bit this year as well.

Can Nick play in the middle and dominate at stoppages???? Pav can be a 70+ goal a year Foward but also easily be top 30 in the midfield also.

I recall last year at Etihad stadium, that Pavlich in the final quarter had a big chance to win the game for Freo, but missed a couple of deadset sitters in front of goal, something I don't think Riewoldt would have done in the same situation ...

Riewoldt's courage can also never be question (and is a much better contested mark then Pavlich) I would say Riewoldt and Pavlich's contested marks are pretty even. Maybe its because Pavlich hasn't played foward much this year that you seem to forget that he is a dominate foward too..

Right now, Roo is just about the best/most influential player in the AFL (yes ahead of Ablett Jnr) and I get the impression he is hellbent on leading St.Kilda to a flag, and I don't get that same 'desire' to win from Pavlich, even if he does play for a mediocre club.

I agree Roo is better currently, but they are playing DIFFERENT roles which obviously you didn't know because you probably don't want that to get in the way of a good bashing.

As unbeliveable as this sounds, I honestly reckon that in many ways, Nick Riewoldt is underrated, certainly by anyone's standards who would rate Matthew Pavlich ahead of him.

In your opinion, but how many AA's has Riewoldt won in different positions??

Put it this way, I think just about every other coach in the AFL would take Riewoldt ahead of Pavlich...

Both are Superstars but you need to remember this year Pavlich is playing alot more in the middle, and still playing well, and obviously you see Pavlich not kicking goals and taking marks etc. so he must be shit this year.

Pav is more versatile. He's been AA 4 times as both a CHB and a forward. Now he's playing midfield and still dominating. THat's why he is rated higher. They're both great players though. I think Pav also stands out more becuse he's always played in a poor team and had to carry them.

People used to rate Pav ahead of Riewoldt because he was always ahead in the achievements stakes (partly because he's older) for instance, Pav has 6 AAs, Riewoldt has 3, but I predict that when Riewoldt is Pavlich's current age he would have caught up. But I do think roo has passed him. Of course, it does help having a good midfield to deliver it to you, and freo don't compare to St Kilda in this regard. This is why Richardson isn't rated as highly by some, partly because he didn't enjoy good delivery.

Both are Superstars but you need to remember this year Pavlich is playing alot more in the middle, and still playing well, and obviously you see Pavlich not kicking goals and taking marks etc. so he must be shit this year.

Where did I say he was shit ???

Pav is a great player obviously, however there is a feeling that people think he's had a better career then Riewoldt ... And i'm not just talking about this year either, but I think that there have been so many games in the past where Riewoldt has basically won games for the Saints off his own boot.

And i might add Riewoldt has played at times further up the ground as well.

Pav is a great player obviously, however there is a feeling that people think he's had a better career then Riewoldt ... And i'm not just talking about this year either, but I think that there have been so many games in the past where Riewoldt has basically won games for the Saints off his own boot.

The fact we've won as many games as we have would be a testament to Pavlich.

Surrounded largely by crabs

Feeling??? Mate its fact. At this point in time, Pavlich's personal acheivements have been more than Riewoldt. That may change by years end though.

Wow... Riewoldt can play on the wing..... Great... Haven't seen him at the stoppages in the middle winning clearences... have you?
Haven't seen him racking up possesions leading from the front playing in the midfield... have you?

I stress they are both superstars, but Individually Pavlich (as most have pointed out already in this thread, who aren't Fremantle supporters) is more versatile (sp?) has won more AA's etc. etc.

Thats why People rate Pavlich ahead of Riewoldt.

Pav is more versatile. He's been AA 4 times as both a CHB and a forward. Now he's playing midfield and still dominating. THat's why he is rated higher. They're both great players though. I think Pav also stands out more becuse he's always played in a poor team and had to carry them.

Riewoldt could play just as well as pav in any position we just don't play him in other positions because that would be a stupid thing to do. Freo play pav I. The middle because if he isn't there they have no chance of getting the ball out of the middle. And i'm not 100% sure but wasn't riewoldt re ruited as a CHB or was in CHF or CHB. He played on the wing a bit too.

People just have different opinions, it's that simple. You've got as much chance on getting a definitive answer on who was better out of Hird, Voss, Buckley and Ricciuto.

Having watched Pavlich for the last 10 years there isn't a player in the AFL I would trade him for. Saints fans would say the same about Reiwoldt - well they'd say 9 years but still...

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people rate Pavlich ahead of Riewoldt ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back