Why do people think the Pies are so far ahead?

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2008 Hawthorn had the Clarkson cluster working perfectly and was the main reason they finished 2nd, they were lucky enough to play Geelong who they have had the wood on and were able to beat them and win the Premiership.

Lucky?
They were by far the hardest opponent that we could have faced in the Grand Final by a long way.

Interested to see whether the new interchange rules change anything regarding strategy and rotations for Collingwood (and the other teams).

They're definitely not so far ahead, but they're definitely alone at top tier with a couple of teams at high tier.

Interested to see whether the new interchange rules change anything regarding strategy and rotations for Collingwood (and the other teams).

They're definitely not so far ahead, but they're definitely alone at top tier with a couple of teams at high tier.

With Carlton on neither. :)

The old Falls Creek one, you really are some sort of mental genius aren't you?

Is that the best you can do?

No, what else would you like me to come up with?

It's fact, I have plenty of Melbourne supporters, and most (90%) always go off for the opening of the ski season. They bagged me this year leading up to the match and when I asked if we should go together they smirked and said they were of to the creek. It's not a myth but a fact. Really you should merge with Nth you might then get a half decent crowd when you play other teams throughout the year

Lucky?
They were by far the hardest opponent that we could have faced in the Grand Final by a long way.

Yes they were the hardest opponent, but if Hawthorn could of wished for the best hardest opponent to play it would be that Geelong team.

There is no doubt Geelong were the best team that year, but Hawthorn were a team that could beat them.

They were lucky that they came up against a better team they could beat as opposed to a better team they couldn't beat.

No, what else would you like me to come up with?

It's fact, I have plenty of Melbourne supporters, and most (90%) always go off for the opening of the ski season. They bagged me this year leading up to the match and when I asked if we should go together they smirked and said they were of to the creek. It's not a myth but a fact. Really you should merge with Nth you might then get a half decent crowd when you play other teams throughout the year

Perhaps you should merge your brain cell with the rest of Collingwood's toothless supporters (which is pretty much all of them) and you might be able to scrape up an IQ of 50 between you. It might help if you all combined together to fill out the centrelink form.

What is a fact you have plenty of Melbourne supporters, what does that actually mean? It certainly couldn't mean you have friends that support Melbourne, we are more particular than that.

The fact is with the draw, Melbourne were lucky it wasn't a 10 goal loss, because that's what it was apart from on the scoreboard.

Collingwood dominated the first and third quarters, they just missed many easy shots.

Melbourne are an improving team, but for years they have relied on their senior players being their backbone.... nothing has changed yet, 2011 will see Green, Davey, Jamar & Moloney needing to fire for Melbourne to fire, more is needed from the 20-23yo players

It would be good if you had a clue about Melbourne but it appears you haven't, these are our 20 to 23 players.

Bail 22 started to show some very good form
Bartram 23 best year for the club so far
Frawley 22 AA,
Garland 22 back from over 12 months injured and was playing very good football
Dunn 23 started to finally show the form we had hoped for
Grimes 21 injured for a lot of the year,
Jones played some very good football this year
Jurrah Injured for more than half the season
Petterd 22 Injured for more than half the season
McKenzie 20 had a fantastic year.

They are our 20 to 23 yo players, there are a few older but most younger.

Wow, people look at a couple of flat games in the first half of the year like a team troubles the Pies. Gimme a break. Round 2 was a flat effort, Q.B. game was week before the holidays and players were already on them. Came back from the break and dominated the competition.
Expect more of the same next year, a few flat games here and there and then go smackdown come the big dances

Only by Hawthorn supporters & opposition supporters who cannot cope with the reality that Collingwood were the dominant side of 2010 (as opposed to Hawthorn in 08') by quite a margain owing to a superior gameplan & group of the most talented youngsters in the AFL.

Disagree.

I see a lot similiar between the two.

Hawks game plan was found out pretty quickly the following year. Interesting to see how Collingwood play it

Wow, people look at a couple of flat games in the first half of the year like a team troubles the Pies. Gimme a break. Round 2 was a flat effort, Q.B. game was week before the holidays and players were already on them. Came back from the break and dominated the competition.
Expect more of the same next year, a few flat games here and there and then go smackdown come the big dances

That's right they had a couple of flat games, that's all it was, and the fact that both the games were against Melbourne was pure coincidence.

Round two was too close to the start of the season, the QB game was too close to the middle of the season, and the week after the holidays was just right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's right they had a couple of flat games, that's all it was, and the fact that both the games were against Melbourne was pure coincidence.

Round two was too close to the start of the season, the QB game was too close to the middle of the season, and the week after the holidays was just right.

Yep, pretty much.

Mate you have good reason to be optimistic about 2011 but I reckon you are putting way too much stock in those tow results.
How do you honestly think Melbourne would have gone versus the Pies in the last 4-5 weeks?
Melbourne have some very talented kids and I loved watching them, but it's going to take a few years to gell the sie and get the physical maturity and experience into them...as it did the Pies.

Mate you have good reason to be optimistic about 2011 but I reckon you are putting way too much stock in those tow results.
How do you honestly think Melbourne would have gone versus the Pies in the last 4-5 weeks?
Melbourne have some very talented kids and I loved watching them, but it's going to take a few years to gell the sie and get the physical maturity and experience into them...as it did the Pies.

I'm not getting ahead of myself at all I know exactly where we are and I know we have a long way to go, I just hate the way your supporters arrogantly dismiss the performances put up by the Dees last season. You don't seem to be able to graciously acknowledge the fact that a bunch of inexperienced kids ran you so close and would rather delude yourselves in to thinking it was all about you having two off days.

At the end of last year some of our kids were out on their feet and the last few games were very ordinary but that's what you expect from youngsters; if we had played Collingwood then they probably would have caned us. But that's not the issue it's the simple fact that you cannot even acknowledge another clubs performance. What's worse sore losers, or poor, ungracious winners?

Melb do have one thing that Collingwood had difficulty shutting down at times and that was run thru the middle.

But if Melb supporters look at how we shut down the best corridor running side in Geelong in Rd19, I think they will see a vastly improved side to the one that played Melb in rd12. A few personnel changes thrown in, Collingwood evolved in the second half of the season into a much better unit.

But Melb will be a force in 2012 onwards, no doubting that.

I'm not getting ahead of myself at all I know exactly where we are and I know we have a long way to go, I just hate the way your supporters arrogantly dismiss the performances put up by the Dees last season. You don't seem to be able to graciously acknowledge the fact that a bunch of inexperienced kids ran you so close and would rather delude yourselves in to thinking it was all about you having two off days.

At the end of last year some of our kids were out on their feet and the last few games were very ordinary but that's what you expect from youngsters; if we had played Collingwood then they probably would have caned us. But that's not the issue it's the simple fact that you cannot even acknowledge another clubs performance. What's worse sore losers, or poor, ungracious winners?

no doubt you guys played well in those 2 games, but mate, we didnt, lots of very good teams have trouble against certain shit clubs, some players on the better team just expect someone else to do it, i watched both games against you guys and our output was wayyyyyyyy down, and, you still couldnt beat us ;)

i will concede that a certain umpire was BOG for us though in game 1, he had a shocker, that holding the ball in the last qtr that wasnt paid against heath shaw was criminal.

no doubt you guys played well in those 2 games, but mate, we didnt, lots of very good teams have trouble against certain shit clubs, some players on the better team just expect someone else to do it, i watched both games against you guys and our output was wayyyyyyyy down, and, you still couldnt beat us ;)

Nice, all class you are.

Nice, all class you are.

what's the problem? that has always been true, and no one is calling melbourne a powerhouse, certainly not this year.

fact is you woul have been more switched to play them than they were to play you.

after all i could point to round 21 as proof of how close we are to them - but that wouldn't really be true.

Disagree.

I see a lot similiar between the two.

Hawks game plan was found out pretty quickly the following year. Interesting to see how Collingwood play it

Hawthorn lost.

Crawford (retired 08')
Dew (retired 09')
Campbell (retired 09')
Croad (didn't play a game after the 08' GF)
Williams (played last game in 09')

As I said your kids look great and running out of petrol was going to happen with youngsters.
I still think you are reading too much into the Collingwood games.
By far the best game Melbourne played this year was the one in atrocious conditions when your young blokes skills, delivery and ball handling were silky in the teeming rain. Can't remember which side you played.
I'd being hanging my hat on that game.

I think it's a big mistake in this sport to think that ANY side is sooooo far ahead.

A few injuries can ruin a side.

Rule changes, and the varying degrees of enforcement of them can completely change the (always slight) competitive advantage that the top team has.

Collingwood, without doubt, played magnificently to their strengths and weaknesses in 2010. The did it better than anyone else, got the flag and deserved. But don't think that means that everything they do/have done is perfect and should be replicated.

The biggest mistake that sides can make moving into 2011 is to try and copy the Collingwood model. Every team has a different set of strengths and weaknesses. I saw the hawks implement a lot of Collingwood-esque moves throughout 2010 and our win-loss ratio was admirable post round 7, but god, we only JUST got there a few times, with a couple of frustrated Power Forwards (which Collingwood don't really have). I think we should have become much more attacking once we hit an even win/loss ratio.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people think the Pies are so far ahead?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back