Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today.... part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminder:

This isn't the Israel/Hamas thread.

Go to the Israel/Hamas thread if you want to talk about that.

Thanks.

I'm not trying to conflate anything.
It's up to those who say 'it' isn't faith to make the distinction between faith and whatever 'it' is.
So far, nobody has been able to make that distinction.
They have, you're just not listening.

It is clear the discussion is about religious faith versus scientific method, the differences between which have been explained in excruciating detail. But you're using a different definition of faith, the one that does not apply to religious doctrine, then claiming it's all the same.

You're arguing a completely different point to everyone else.

Same same then,

You're swearing an oath to something most of or all of the courtroom don't subscribe to, so still farcical then.

No, you swear either the Oath or the Affirmation. One of them (the Oath) is to a deity or spiritual entity of your choice (God, Ganesha, Allah, Thor, Poseidon, Yahweh, Buddha, Satan etc) and often (but not necessarily) while holding the relevant religious text (Bible, Torah, Quran, Dianetics etc) and the other one (the Affirmation) is a personal promise.

You get to choose which one you want to swear, and if you choose the Oath, can pick your religious text and deity of choice.

No, you swear either the Oath or the Affirmation. One of them (the Oath) is to a deity or spiritual entity of your choice (God, Ganesha, Allah, Thor, Poseidon, Yahweh, Buddha, Satan etc) and often (but not necessarily) while holding the relevant religious text (Bible, Torah, Quran, Dianetics etc) and the other one (the Affirmation) is a personal promise.

You get to choose which one you want to swear, and if you choose the Oath, can pick your religious text and deity of choice.
All of which doesn't change the point that swearing an oath or affirmation to whatever fairy god, is a farce regardless.

They have, you're just not listening.

It is clear the discussion is about religious faith versus scientific method, the differences between which have been explained in excruciating detail. But you're using a different definition of faith, the one that does not apply to religious doctrine, then claiming it's all the same.

You're arguing a completely different point to everyone else.

You have perfectly encapsulated what has been wrong with all of the arguments against what I stated.

It's not about religious faith v scientific method.

It is not about the subject matter of people's faith. Religious or non-religious.

It's about people's faith/trust (or whatever you want to call it.).

Forget what your faith/trust is aimed at.
Focus on just faith/trust.
What is the difference between one person's faith/trust and another person's faith/trust???
To me, there is no difference.
The argument that because your faith/trust is in science somehow, magically, it elevates it to something more than just faith/trust and definitely isn't the same as the faith/trust of a religious person. Hells no.

Take one step back.
The evidence doesn't relate to your faith/trust.
The evidence relates to the subject matter of your faith/trust.

How is faith/trust in science different to any other faith/trust in anything??
It is no different.

You can't demonstrate it is 'faith'. You haven't even addressed the definition of faith I've provided.

I've given you a definition of 'faith' and said why acceptance of certain scientific theories - such as evolution - by the scientific community and by extension the public does not qualify as 'faith'. Why don't you address that?

Why don't you explain exactly how acceptance of scientific theories such as evolution the evidence in support of which is based on repeated empirical observation and experiment qualifies as 'faith'? Clearly you think it does and given you made the claim in the first place, explain it.

I've explained quite clearly why it doesn't and provided a definition of 'faith' for you to address. You haven't refuted any of what I've said, except to demand I come up with another word for that acceptance. And if no word is forthcoming.....oh... it must default to faith. That's not even an argument. :rolleyes:

Then I explain yet again why that isn't faith and you completely fail to address again what I've said, or the definition I've provided and again demand I come up with another word for that acceptance.

And then we just go around in circles.

Acceptance of a scientific theory as the best explanation for a phenomena, based on significant, overwhelming, robust, empirical evidence is not 'faith'. Under no circumstancesm do I accept that evolution, for example, is the best explanation for the variety of life on this planet, by faith.

JFC.

The only one going around in circles is you.
Your entire argument relies on including the subject matter of people's faith in order to use the subject matter rather than the faith to argue that it is different.
How many times do I have to say, it's not about the subject matter?

JFC.

Your entire argument relies on including the subject matter of people's faith

Faith is not used in science. A process is used to ascertain the likelihood of a proposed explanation for a phenomena.

Perhaps you should explain more clearly how you think 'faith' is used in science.

Then maybe we might take a closer look at your claim that:

"Even atheists have faith. Their faith is in things like science and objective truths, but it is still faith."

Which I reject. That is not 'faith'.

Last edited:
JFC.

Your entire argument relies on including the subject matter of people's faith in order to use the subject matter rather than the faith to argue that it is different.
How many times do I have to say, it's not about the subject matter?
How about this - faith in science, a prosperity preacher, Donald Trump, a deity, whatever - is still faith/belief/trust.

If we can get past that, maybe we can discuss why you think religious beliefs should be respected beyond any conspiracy theory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Faith is not used in science. A process is used to ascertain the likelihood of a proposed explanation for a phenomena.

Perhaps you should explain more clearly how you think 'faith' is used in science.

Then maybe we might take a closer look at your claim that:

"Even atheists have faith. Their faith is in things like science and objective truths, but it is still faith."

Which I reject. That is not 'faith'.
He's not discussing faith as part of scientific methodology, rather people having faith or trust in anything - be it science, religion or a person.

It's not wrong per se. I'm just wondering where he's heading with this.

For a myriad of reasons, technicalities letting off scumbags when guilt is clear, swearing on the bible in cases where prosecution and / or defence uses 'belief in god' as an argument against - yet you can swear on the bible.:rolleyes:

Or 'trust me' on my affirmation, yeah sure Jan.

But you're right it's a thread derailer.
When is belief in god used as part of a defense or as a reason to prosecute?

I assumed people who do crimes because god told them to are a good chance of being judged insane.

You have perfectly encapsulated what has been wrong with all of the arguments against what I stated.

It's not about religious faith v scientific method.

It is not about the subject matter of people's faith. Religious or non-religious.

It's about people's faith/trust (or whatever you want to call it.).

Forget what your faith/trust is aimed at.
Focus on just faith/trust.
What is the difference between one person's faith/trust and another person's faith/trust???
To me, there is no difference.
The argument that because your faith/trust is in science somehow, magically, it elevates it to something more than just faith/trust and definitely isn't the same as the faith/trust of a religious person. Hells no.

To you.

Yes...you are special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back