Why is Hodge rated so highly?

Remove this Banner Ad

You would think after a week of getting their arses kicked Geelong supporters would be a bit wiser by now.

Oh no............ the OP wants more. :eek:

I think hes highly rated because he gets given a role to play and he is so effective in doing it.

Fantastic player in my book. But i also think that Tom Harley is a great player aswell, just different to what Hodge is.

You would think after a week of getting their arses kicked Geelong supporters would be a bit wiser by now.

Oh no............ the OP wants more. :eek:

26 points is an arse kicking?

You would think that after being the underdog and winning you would realise that anything can happen in footy and a similar thing could infact happen to you guys next year.

So take some of your own advice and get a bit wiser.

You must not have watched the Grand Final. He was the reason why Hawthorn won. He was the reason why Geelong went sideways and were not able to take marks inside their F50. He continually stopped Geelong's run and kicked one goal and was responsible for a fair chunk of the others.

Like Croad and Scarlett - teams appear to actively avoid kicking it in his direction. Put him 40m out directly in front, and they won't even look to kick it there. Has a MASSIVE influence on the entire game from this position - almost a reverse-Carey (Brown/Franklin/etc) effect. (They draw the play towards them, Hodge pushes it away from him).

It was poor coaching by Thompson to leave him with Stokes. Should have put Mooney/Ottens there and instructed everyone to put it on Hodge's head - force others to be the '3rd man in'. Either that or double-team him (and leave our forwardline 1-on-1).

Great post Simon! :thumbsu: These points above in particular...

It amazes me how so many people criticise Tom Harley for playing on some of the crappest forwards each week so he can help out the other defenders, when Luke Hodge does the exact same thing, yet Luke Hodge is apparently one of the best players in the comp because of this.

There is alot of debate between Hawks & Blue supporters as who is better out of Hodge & Judd. Which is rediculous considering Judd has to win the hardball out of the middle and set up the play, while Hodge just needs to run off his opponent and spoil the ball.

So if Hodge is in the top 5 players in the competition, then I guess Harley is aswell - considering he plays that role just as effectively as Hodge.

Did you watch Hodge singe-handedly blocking the Geelong forward thrusts again and again in the GF?

You probably had your eyes closed :)

Because is a rock defensively, no opponent ever gets on top of him, and he always helps out his team mates in his defensively role.

Yet as soon as he gets it he becomes our biggest attacking weapon with the ball, when he gets it he breaks the lines by aggressive kicking, and always choosing the right option. He can drift into the midfield as an A grader, and be a goal scoring weapon.

To say he plays the same role as Harley is absurd. People don't know how to rate him because they either compare him the midfielders or defenders, but the thing is he is both of those things, and brilliant at both.

Has so much influence on a game of football, and that is how you should judge someone's ability, how much influence they have in a side winning.

Luke Hodge will stand 30m out from the opposition goal in space regardless of where his man is and use his ability to read the play to decide where and when to go to affect a contest and get the ball.

Yes, Tom Harley peels off his player and manages to be 3rd man up but that's usually because his man is also after the ball and usually takes him closer to contests. Harley is not gifted enough as a footballer to be able to read the play like Hodge and he certainly doesn't hurt the opposition on the way out like Hodge does. He's also able to direct other Hawks defenders based on how he's seeing the play unfolding.

It's up to Hodges man to make him accountable and after watching him for 10 weeks Bomber Thompson wasn't able to formulate a plan to stop him because Hodge's game isn't based on match ups, its about knowing where the ball is going before it gets there and getting across to help out.

I love these piss take threads. Here's a thought. Let's just ignore them and discuss our Premiership win on the Hawthorn forum. There is some brilliant ones going as we speak, re Hodgey kicking Geelong's arse a new one~!
GO HAWKAS!!!!!

Yeah, as i said...he plays on the crap defenders.

It would appear that no amount of posts could get you to understand the game so here's the only thing you need to remember:

Hawthorn 18.7 (115), Geelong 11.23 (89)
Norm Smith Medallist: Luke Hodge

Now, let's get onto the thread 'Why is Joel Corey rated so highly?'...for those that think stats are everything.

Essendon 1999-2001
Minor Premiers: 3 times
Premiers: 1 time

Port Adelaide 2002-2004

Geelong 2007-2009

Please finish on top again, please!!!! But this time please win every game...please!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Hodge will stand 30m out from the opposition goal in space regardless of where his man is and use his ability to read the play to decide where and when to go to affect a contest and get the ball.

Yes, Tom Harley peels off his player and manages to be 3rd man up but that's usually because his man is also after the ball and usually takes him closer to contests. Harley is not gifted enough as a footballer to be able to read the play like Hodge and he certainly doesn't hurt the opposition on the way out like Hodge does. He's also able to direct other Hawks defenders based on how he's seeing the play unfolding.

It's up to Hodges man to make him accountable and after watching him for 10 weeks Bomber Thompson wasn't able to formulate a plan to stop him because Hodge's game isn't based on match ups, its about knowing where the ball is going before it gets there and getting across to help out.

Does Hodge crap gold too?

BTW, the bolded part in your post is incorrect. Zoning off means leaving your man and going to the contest. So no, his opponent isn't leading him to the ball. Rather Harley is leading his opponent.

When the game was there to be won in the 2nd quarter, Geelong had a hell of a lot more scoring shots than Hawthorn, and because they didn't convert any of them it kept Hawhorn in the game.

and in the third quarter (the premiership quarter) hawthorn blew the cats away by pure skill. in the third quarter it wasnt your mistakes that lost it for geelong it was the brilliance of hawthorn on the day. hawthorn were on gf day better than you...accept it

It amazes me how so many people criticise Tom Harley for playing on some of the crappest forwards each week so he can help out the other defenders, when Luke Hodge does the exact same thing, yet Luke Hodge is apparently one of the best players in the comp because of this.

There is alot of debate between Hawks & Blue supporters as who is better out of Hodge & Judd. Which is rediculous considering Judd has to win the hardball out of the middle and set up the play, while Hodge just needs to run off his opponent and spoil the ball.

So if Hodge is in the top 5 players in the competition, then I guess Harley is aswell - considering he plays that role just as effectively as Hodge.

We won the GF OK?
Get over it, move on. Posting bitter and jealous crap will not help you or your club.

Harley is a good player. Hodge is better.

Geelong are a very good team but Hawthorn beat them in the game that mattered most.

Look forward, we have many more battles to come.

We won the GF OK?
Get over it, move on. Posting bitter and jealous crap will not help you or your club.

Geelong are a very good team but Hawthorn beat them in the game that mattered most.

end thread here:thumbsu:

We won the GF OK?

Good post

Much better than the sh*t most hawks supporters are dishing up at the moment..

Hodge
1. Courageous mark
2. Reads the play brilliantly
3. Is the General in the backline. TELLS everyone what to do.
4. Pinpoint left-foot kick OVER DISTANCE

Harley
1. My brother's got one.... candy-apple red
2. Looks good and sound great
3. Underpowered. Can't ever seem catch anyone
4. Big turning circle
5. Gets knocked around too easily

Hodge
1. Courageous mark
2. Reads the play brilliantly
3. Is the General in the backline. TELLS everyone what to do.
4. Pinpoint left-foot kick OVER DISTANCE

Harley
1. My brother's got one.... candy-apple red
2. Looks good and sound great
3. Underpowered. Can't ever seem catch anyone
4. Big turning circle
5. Gets knocked around too easily
6. gets knocked out by xavier ellis

i never post on big footy but i have to make an exception.
Hodgey is an absolute gun, hes versatile, can play anywhere, kicks goals, does all the hard stuff, one of the most courageous players in the league, can read the play awesomely, damaging on both sides of the body! i guess thats why he is rated so highly.:thumbsu:

Last year I started a thread (can't remember if it was this user name) but true dinks. I said Hodge brings more than just class to the club. He plays for far less than he's worth (No offence Judd) and he hates referring to "me" in all his interviews. He is our Shinboner of the century but with real skill.

Can Judd go to CHB and change a game? No. Can Judd change a game from the midfield, yes. Hodgey can too, but Juddy is better than him in that position. Can Judd go to the fwd line and break a game open? Rarely. Hodge can basically go anywhere. Name a position he can't play and change the course of a match....

He will go down as one of the greats. He will shake off his bogey tags like Rawlings too. Watch him work over the summer. True Clubman like Buckley - heart and soul stuff.

Judd says last year - quote from Dunstall that he didn't want to come to the Hawks due to our culture problems. Well FU Judd. I don't blame you for wanting the big bucks. But you're not fit to walk in Hodgey's shadow when it comes to self sacrifice. And look at your own backyard re culture. No need to expand on this Bull.

Fancy Judd saying to WC that his shoulders were stuffed because he had to carry them for so long. Enjoy your time at Carlton. I liked his recent interview. It showed he IS a decent man and I admire him. But he isn't the complete package if you look at all of the above.

I got scorned and rediculed last year for posting some of this stuff. It's my opinion and as a 25 year supporter, I think I know a true inspirational bloke on and off the field, with bucket loads of courage and talent along with self sacrifice as his middle name. He wouldn't wear his norm smith medal after the GF unless media pressured him. He's just a top bloke - as Jerry Maguire(Spelling?) film said it he is the "quay" - the complete package.

Last year I started a thread (can't remember if it was this user name) but true dinks. I said Hodge brings more than just class to the club. He plays for far less than he's worth (No offence Judd) and he hates referring to "me" in all his interviews. He is our Shinboner of the century but with real skill.

Can Judd go to CHB and change a game? No. Can Judd change a game from the midfield, yes. Hodgey can too, but Juddy is better than him in that position. Can Judd go to the fwd line and break a game open? Rarely. Hodge can basically go anywhere. Name a position he can't play and change the course of a match....

Well said, can do it all but although the above is about Judd, replace with Harley and you have an even stronger arguement in relation to the OT:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is Hodge rated so highly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back