Opinion Why is Trent Cotchin hated by so many ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he that hated though? Has a fair bit of that smug afl star about him, but I’m not sure he’s in the top 10 for that - the Judds own that, * me I’d be happy if they ceased to exist in some sort of super localised bayside tsunami. So to conclude, he seems fairly unlikeable, but I’m not sure that many people hate him, much less care about him.
Can I ask, what did he do that seems smug ? He always gives credit to the opposition and speaks really well.
Just because he smiles ?

Can I ask, what did he do that seems smug ? He always gives credit to the opposition and speaks really well.
Just because he smiles ?
The hub thing, the socks. Listen, l don’t really think about him at all, but he does remind me if the Judds a bit. Good for him, but it’s Richmond fans asking, I merely gave an opinion as to why people may not love him like y’all do.

Okay he is a "dirty" player, yet why aren't other actual dirty players hated as much , Barry hall, byron pickett etc etc
It’s the vibe, also both of those players started in different eras. Hall & Pickett are hard working, blue collar types. Trent is a private school boy, old money type. Covid hubs didn’t do him any favours.

Is he really hated?

He never really backed up his 2012 season. This combination with an early finals record of a coin toss loss, a loss to a team that finished 9th and a 9 disposal effort in another loss made him for many the worst captain going around by 2015-2016. The really turned that around over the next 5 years being a 3 time premiership captain, a Brownlow medalist who played good footy.

So a very mixed ride. But he probably never was the most inspiring captain or the close to the best or most entertaining player going around. Even with the good story above he feels a little boring for me. But no hate.

Incredibly baffling and unusual. This guy is pretty clean cut off the field. He doesn't assault or do any drugs or anything . On the field he led a mediocre team to 3 flags yet you get most oppo fans calling him a dog and ppl bagging him left right and centre.

What's the problem with him ?

He plays tough on the field and sometimes crosses or goes close to crossing the line ?

Though dont many successful captains do that ? Look at Hodge and voss, I saw a video of hodge bumping some players head into a post , yet cotchin does a tummy tap and people start crying ? Even thugs like Barry hall get more love than him

He got off the bump with shiel?

That was 6 years ago , get over it. He went in hard for the ball , to some it deserves a suspension but for that to be the cause of the hate ?

He won Watson's brownlow.

Yes and Mitchell won it too, yet do you see him being hated as much ? It's cotchins fault Watson did drugs ? Lol

It only leads to the most possible explanation . And that is that he is the face of a club who was laughed at by most for many years and now for the last 5 or 6 years are not a laughing stock anymore . And ppl can't handle that. Add to the fact he's squeaky clean image isn't the typical bogan tough image of other leaders hence why people can't identify with that

envy

He is a smug little prick

Being a faux tough guy, regularly gut punching unsuspecting blokes is a big part. Being the AFL protected species and never getting suspended doesn't help.

His mrs claiming bullying by the media for calling out his shit performances didn't help

Him & his mrs latest venture into sucking his kids school into forcing their sock brand to be official school uniform doesn't help

His whole diva hub bullshit. Once again his mrs playing a big part

Know some people that have bought his Cameo (or whatever it's called) bday messages for friends. Fair to say he comes off as a w***er in those too

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Last edited:
To be honest I have never really thought about him. Has had a tremendous career and has been a very good player. Tiger fans would have a better idea about where he sits with their greats but most people would be happy to have the career he has had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Mad Men GIF

Just because he happened to be captain during a successful period doesn't automatically make him the best captain of all time. I have nothing against him, but 'instant Hall of Fame' seems a bit over the top.

3x premiership captain, Brownlow medalist, soon to be 300 games. Those sort of stats make him an absolute lock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Why is Trent Cotchin hated by so many ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back