Opinion Why is Trent Cotchin hated by so many ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think originally it was because he used to run around chalking up alot of junk stats for a Richmond side that were a bit of a laughing stock, the kicking into the wind in a final, doing a press conference after a humiliating finals loss dressed as Gene Simmons etc. Then when he completely changed his game for the betterment of the team, he also seemed to become a bit of a sniper which meant he may have been losing some of the respect he at the same time was gaining (if that makes sense).

Then there was his missus breaking covid protocol just so she could get influence her way to getting a free manicure. Now the sock thing forcing parents to buy school clothes from an already wealthy family. So it all adds up i guess.

But on the other hand it seems he was instrumental in changing the culture of a side that was never looking like going anywhere, seemed to have kept Dusty focused, is loved by everyone in the club. He definitely doesnt get the respect / love he probably deserves, but if it helps console you then probably chuck on 1 of those recent premiership dvd's and I'm sure you'll feel alot better.

It’s the vibe, also both of those players started in different eras. Hall & Pickett are hard working, blue collar types. Trent is a private school boy, old money type. Covid hubs didn’t do him any favours.

Also, Hall & Picket weren't ever trying to pretend otherwise - they were who they were unashamedly & unapologetically.

If Richmond weren't succesfull in that era, and he didn't captain the 3 flags, and he didn't get awarded the Brownlow, opposition fans probably wouldn't look twice at him. He'd just be a long standing AFL player, without much fanfare.

But being successful, for a big media focused club, he's an easy target, and he's very visible. There's an element of tall poppy syndrome from the trolls (many successful players cop this).

There's other elements that contribute, but being successful is like pouring petrol on some embers.

I personally couldn't give a shit if he's hated. It's part of the theatre of the game. I won't tell anyone not to dislike him, it's just what footy fans do. I do the same with my dislike for some players/coaches.

Only the opposition nuffies 'hate' him. Cotchin has always played right up to the line which is what you want from your leaders. The type of player you don't like when they play for the opposition, but you'd love on your own team. We wouldn't have won any of those flags without him so who gives a **** what the peanuts think.

Hasn't been suspended since 2010. Was probably fortunate once or twice but far from a 'sniper'.

I hate that Richmond supporters talk him up as a champion of the game because he happened to captain a very good team.

He is an A-B grade player who had one elite season. A club champion who their supporters should be proud of, but let’s not act like he’s some superstar.

I don't think I've seen many Tigers supporters say otherwise. His impact on the club has been more praised in terms of the effect on the playing group, on field leadership and club culture rather than his individual output as a player like a Riewoldt or Martin.

He's been a very good player, but no one's claiming he's in the pantheon of on-field greats. That he's been possibly the greatest captain for us is more the sentiment than he's been in our top individual players.

Never really thought about him until the 'coin toss' saga, and never really thought about him since. If I was to describe him as a player, I would say a 'seagull with hair' comes to mind :think:
You would be a fool then, if there's one thing he can't be accused of it's shirking a contest or staying outside the contest. For better or worse, and at times illegally, he throws his body into just about every contest he can. It's probably one of the reasons he is physically cooked, he's been an undersized battering ram for our midfield for a decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would be a fool then, if there's one thing he can't be accused of it's shirking a contest or staying outside the contest. For better or worse, and at times illegally, he throws his body into just about every contest he can. It's probably one of the reasons he is physically cooked, he's been an undersized battering ram for our midfield for a decade.
I'm sorry for making you sad

Take Marc Murphy and think of him as a triple premiership winner and Brownlow medalist (by default), you now have Trent Cotchin.

Enough said.

I don't think I've seen many Tigers supporters say otherwise. His impact on the club has been more praised in terms of the effect on the playing group, on field leadership and club culture rather than his individual output as a player like a Riewoldt or Martin.

He's been a very good player, but no one's claiming he's in the pantheon of on-field greats. That he's been possibly the greatest captain for us is more the sentiment than he's been in our top individual players.

Agree with that. His 2017 finals series was absolutely elite though, especially his Preliminary Final.

I'm sorry for making you sad
You don't really, I don't mind if people don't like him, but you've highlighted your ignorance which is worth correcting.

There's plenty of valid criticisms of Cotchin, check out my posts on the Richmond board, I personally think the games now past him by and we are just carrying him to 300 games, but being a seagull definitely isn't one of them. I'm not sure how much footy you watch though.

Okay he is a "dirty" player, yet why aren't other actual dirty players hated as much , Barry hall, byron pickett etc etc
I think it is because those mentioned blokes were actually tough scary blokes who might be dirty but would belt you to your face as well

Trent likes to gut punch unsuspecting players and run off

I hate that Richmond supporters talk him up as a champion of the game because he happened to captain a very good team.

He is an A-B grade player who had one elite season. A club champion who their supporters should be proud of, but let’s not act like he’s some superstar.
Of course he's a champion :straining: He captained a very ****ing shit team first and he is one of the main reasons we became what we did. Without Cotchin there wouldn't have been a 'very good team'.

300 games, Brownlow medalist, 3 x premiership captain, coaches association player of the year, 3 x BnF winner and an All-Australian. Not many resumes better than that....

Take Marc Murphy and think of him as a triple premiership winner and Brownlow medalist (by default), you now have Trent Cotchin.

Enough said.
Cant help yourself can you? The obsession.

I don't think there is much onfield that people dislike. Was a classy player who turned himself into a wrecking ball for the team. I have a healthy respect for any player who is able to do that (Riewoldt was the Richmond player who had to change his game style).

It's more the impression of what he would be like off the field: Went to a richy rich private college, that likely was nearly 100% white, left leaning and rich. The sort of guy that expects poor people to reduce their impact on the environment whilst driving a guzzling 4wd around town. The sort of guy who is 100% supportive of 3rd world immigration but lives in a gated apartment in the rich part of town (not sure where he lives just the impression he gives). His good looks and 'smugness' add to the above. His wife does not help one bit. Breaking COVID protocol to attend a day spa and then claiming the fall back was making her suicidal was absolutely pitiful when everyone else was locked inside their homes.

He reminds me most of Pat Cummins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Why is Trent Cotchin hated by so many ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back