Opinion Why is Trent Cotchin hated by so many ?

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't really, I don't mind if people don't like him, but you've highlighted your ignorance which is worth correcting.

There's plenty of valid criticisms of Cotchin, check out my posts on the Richmond board, I personally think the games now past him by and we are just carrying him to 300 games, but being a seagull definitely isn't one of them. I'm not sure how much footy you watch though.
Oh, I'm fairly certain my ignorance is worth a lot more than that

I would suggest its not different to how so many people (tigers supporters inc) hate Joel Selwood, yet true Football fans love the way he goes about it. Cotch the same, both stupidly brave and hard with alot of success.

Of course he's a champion :straining: He captained a very ******* s**t team first and he is one of the main reasons we became what we did. Without Cotchin there wouldn't have been a 'very good team'.

300 games, Brownlow medalist, 3 x premiership captain, coaches association player of the year, 3 x BnF winner and an All-Australian. Not many resumes better than that....

He had his one elite season in 2012 and captained a great team from 2017 onwards, where he was never one of your best players.

It’s great that he is a Richmond legend. But he is no star of the competition.

I don't think I've seen many Tigers supporters say otherwise. His impact on the club has been more praised in terms of the effect on the playing group, on field leadership and club culture rather than his individual output as a player like a Riewoldt or Martin.

He's been a very good player, but no one's claiming he's in the pantheon of on-field greats. That he's been possibly the greatest captain for us is more the sentiment than he's been in our top individual players.

You’re a pretty reasonable poster. Your buddies not so much. He is heavily overrated as a player but fairly rated as a leader.

He had his one elite season in 2012 and captained a great team from 2017 onwards, where he was never one of your best players.

It’s great that he is a Richmond legend. But he is no star of the competition.
He was 4th in the BnF in 2017 and his finals series that year was phenomenal - He finished 2nd in the Gary Ayers medal votes, behind Dusty.

He was a star of the competition when he was getting 25-30 a week for a few seasons there but he eventually realized that wasn't what best served the team and become one of the most selfless and inspirational leaders for them which is probably the biggest feather in his cap.

Find me one 300 gamer that has won multiple flags and multiple BnFs that isn't a star. Get off it. There's more to being a great footballer than getting 30+ disposals with 10 one-two handballs a game.

These threads are all the equivalent of "Why don't neutral supporters adore such and such Richmond player as much as I do?". Have never had an issue with Cotchin - he was an important captain for their dynasty as Harley was for Geelong (Ling got the last one but Harley was the initial backbone). Was also a very, very good player for a while as have been many Richmond players the past decade. Is that what the OP is after? Never felt the desperate need to do it with past champion Geelong players myself.

He was 4th in the BnF in 2017 and his finals series that year was phenomenal - He finished 2nd in the Gary Ayers medal votes, behind Dusty.

He was a star of the competition when he was getting 25-30 a week for a few seasons there but he eventually realized that wasn't what best served the team and become one of the most selfless and inspirational leaders for them which is probably the biggest feather in his cap.

Find me one 300 gamer that has won multiple flags and multiple BnFs that isn't a star. Get off it. There's more to being a great footballer than getting 30+ disposals with 10 one-two handballs a game.
You're right that in amongst Martin mania Cotchin was about as impressive that 2017 finals series. Maybe a bit less standout in the GF but that match became a walkover earlier so his efforts against Geelong and GWS when the games were close stood out. The same happened with Prestia in 2019. Huge, but not recognised that much. Maybe that is why quite a few Tigers from that period are somewhat underrated, because of the saturated obsession with Martin by the media etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A star of the competition has more than one elite season.

A Richmond great for sure.

These threads are all the equivalent of "Why don't neutral supporters adore such and such Richmond player as much as I do?". Have never had an issue with Cotchin - he was an important captain for their dynasty as Harley was for Geelong (Ling got the last one but Harley was the initial backbone). Was also a very, very good player for a while as have been many Richmond players the past decade. Is that what the OP is after? Never felt the desperate need to do it with past champion Geelong players myself.
It's really not. He gets belted from pillar to post by neutrals any time his name is mentioned in the media. **** me even some losers in here are clipping him because his side business made a deal with a school. What's the issue? Because he already has plenty of money? I mean who gives a **** about that? Do those people think whoever else got the contract wasn't likely wealthy already too? Tall poppy syndrome is all that is.

Last edited:
I do like when people call it the *Brownlow. It's awarded to the 'best and fairest player(s)'. In 2012 that was Trent Cotchin and Sam Mitchell.

It's really not. He gets belted from pillar to post by neutrals any time his name is mentioned in the media. * me even some losers in here are clipping him because his side business made a deal with a school. What's the issue? Because he already has plenty of money. I mean who gives a * about that? Do those people think whoever else got the contract wasn't likely wealthy already too? Tall poppy syndrome is all that is.
People will find anything to strip players down with. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Has happened to pretty much every Geelong player I can think of, and if there isn't much to cling onto, a general "this player is overrated blah blah blah" routine sets in. The media aren't much better although they will generally stick clear of low hanging fruit as far as irrelevant personal things. A fair chunk of footy fans like to be venomous and the media controversial, just got to filter through to the ones who are willing to discuss things minus the mouth frothing.

No, the drug cheat got disqualified. Cotchin and Mitchell won it fair and square.

People overlook Cotchin won the Coaches MVP comfortably that year(2012) with 107 votes. Watson was 6th on 89.

Dangerfied(drafted the same year as Cotchin) and Ablett got 92 votes each.

Cotchin's 107 votes would have won this award in 11 of the 17 seasons in which it has been given, including all 3 times Gary Ablett Jnr won it.

So Cotchin has doubtless had a significantly strong season in 2012.

He has been a terrific player Cotchin. No doubt he could have kept chasing kicks and looked a whole lot better in the eyes of many, but the most significant thing he achieved in the game was changing to a total team orientated focus in 2017. He will retire likely this year, and forever be a revered figure at Richmond. He is one of only 8 players in 126 years of history to Captain 3 or more flags, no player has skippered more than 4, and this list is a compelling one.

4 Tuck, Reynolds, Syd Coventry

3 La Fontaine, Hodge, Voss, Nicholls, Cotchin

After starting as a cadet captain in a rabble of a team, and going through all sorts of public ridicule - something I am not sure any of the others on the above list could say - before ultimately working out just what was required, Cotchin's contribution to his club cannot ever be seriously questioned.

I actually think Cotchin is quite widely admired by supporters, it is only that he is living through the clickbait age that some people seem to get triggered about him. One interesting thing will be whether he ever turns to coaching, as only Reynolds and to some extent Nicholls from the above list have done this successfully.

Last edited:
Between this and the Dusty thread I guess we can look forward to another 30 years of Richmond people bringing up their flag heros ad nauseum while they wait for their next premiership era.

We have to pass the time somehow Bush, but if I hear you campaigners banging on about Charlie Sutton one more ****ing time so help me. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
I don’t think he is hated that much… but if there is an issue would have something to do with 3 cups…. I liked how he turned his game around and became a wrecking ball for the tigers in midfield. Respect from me!

Struggle to think of another player who turned their finals reputation around so dramatically as he did from 2015 to 2017. Both reputations were entirely justified too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Why is Trent Cotchin hated by so many ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back