Mr Budda Bing

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2010
Spearmint Rhino
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bench Press, Brad Miller, Beer
I went to the North vs Collingwood game yesterday as an observer with a couple of mates and North introduced a new mascot which started dancing. Bit cringeworthy but not the worse I've seen.

Bring in the Cheerleaders I say :thumbsu: Why not have Cheerleaders aswell? Works in NRL and NFL and Basketball. Why not AFL? Didn't Carlton have the Blue girls a few years back?

Also what do you think of the Mascots? I like the retro ones, not this Mascot Manor shit.

I remember seeing a Swan and Bulldog or Demon going head to head in the 80s, good stuff :thumbsu:

What makes you say it works in the NRL and NBL? People wouldn't show up to those games if the cheerleaders weren't there? Plus they'd probably be the size of opera singers for you to see them at the MCG. I'm there to watch the footy. If that's what you want, the Royal on Punt Road is your go.

AFL admin is trying to sell the game as family oriented (thats the future market) Thats why they are being so harsh on bumps/alcohol/drug issues. Cheerleaders wouldn't work for families as they wouldn't want to take their kids to the game. Also AFL is trying to establish a culture where men and women are equal (in all aspects other than playing)

Plus do we want another St Kilda school girl scandal? Let players do what they do but don't throw it in their face and expect them not to react...

Been to alot of NRL games and trust me it does add a bit of fun when your team scores..and then 4 amazing girls start dancing infront of you to add to the occasion.

Because the AFL has more credability then NRL and NFL and from a business perspective it will severely reduce the target market from a generic sense to a predominantly male audience.... and lesbians.

+ It's tacky and degrading

It works in basketball and gridiron because there are always stoppages during the game and they need something to keep peoples attention for the two minutes the game stops for every 5 minutes.

When a quarter ends in footy, what do you do? You either make the dash to the tuck shop or chat to your mates about the quarter. And I'd rather watch the mini leaguers running around than a bunch of wannabe dancers about 100m away that you can't see anyway.

Some of those mini league games are funny as.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.celebrity-pics.net/dp/2-22.htmThis is one reason I don't want cheerleaders

2-22.htm

$25 says GWS bring them in

Well there is precedent (Sydney and the Swanettes). I'm surprised the Gold Coast didn't recruit some meter maids for pre-match entertainment (actually, they probably did but they said they'd send Warrick Capper along) :D

The SANFL (and I believe the WAFL) still have cheerleaders to provide a bit of pre-game entertainment. Nowhere near the quality of the 1980's but it beats staring at an empty field for 20 minutes between the reserves and the league. About 10 years ago, Sturt kept them out all game and had them do a routine after every Sturt goal (ala the Swanettes) but that only lasted a couple of seasons.

Sydney had the 'Menage Swanettes' for years from the late 80's well into the 90's. Cant believe there is no google images of them, they used to wear white cowboy hats and boots, red jackets with 'Menage' sponsor across the back and little red skirts. As a young testo charged teenager at the time I used to really enjoy sitting near them, although I had trouble standing up after they finished their routines....

For those saying it offensive to families, get off your high horse. If you are upset at girls wearing dance outfits I'm guessing you would never take your kids to the beach. (' oh no, women in bikinis! avert your eyes children, the devil takes on many forms!). Even more embarassingly there are dancing guys at some of the games, you can imagine the stick they get...

Saying that i dont like cheerleaders at the NRL, only because I hate it when Australia copies the yanks (same reason i find the name of the new GC team tacky).

dont need any cheap gimmicks to stop the crowd falling asleep

Adds nothing to the spectacle or contest unless you're a 13 year old boy who hasn't discovered what the other 95% of the Internet is made up of

Its tacky and irrelevant.

+ It's tacky and degrading

Only boring shit like Rugby league needs sideshows to get people to turn up.

because our game still has a bit of dignity about it.

All these + more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not have Cheerleaders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back