Why the hate for Michael Clarke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ill Chicken I am interested to hear your thoughts on Shiv Chanderpaul.

He's batted basically his whole career at 5 despite being the Windies best batsman by a mile since Lara.

Is he selfish?

It is pretty difficult to say. West Indian selection process and the continual arbitration to get a team on the field during the last 10 years would be a major factor. I would say he probably had every right to be selfish in the last 5 or 6 years to only bat at 5 or 6 due to the nature of what was happening. Looking back at his career, he went to 3 after a fairly good start and then was moved back to 6 for a period and then put back into 3 after not a great run of form. 11 different captains during his time probably doesn't help and one of the best batsmen in the world in Lara who did shuffle around the 3/4/5 during his time would also make it difficult.

Looking at the win/loss/draw for him batting at 5, he should bat anywhere else because the team has only won 12 tests with him there.

Wasn't that widely interpreted to mean batting higher than #5 on a consistent basis, not batting one position lower for one innings?

Statistically it shows that Clarke is likely to fail in a change to lower position in the batting order.

Statistically it shows that Clarke is likely to fail in a change to lower position in the batting order.

Depends on how one defines 'failure' I guess.

Mind, he could fail tomorrow, but I'd be more worried if he moved up the order. We'll see what happens.

Gee, the sad part is, he is just as likely to fail going up the order now, even to his preferred position. Got to hand it to him though, captained superbly today, why not have 2 slips and a gully when they've got a lead of 250 odd and only one day.

That should read Clarke is the top performing home team batsman in the world. And the only reason we'd be screwed if lost Clarke is because guys like Quiney get hung at 3 and instead of chance at 5 or 6.

So even though Quiney's preferred position is 3, he has made all of his runs at the top of the order and that is the reason he got a gig in the Australian side in the first place, you would then bat him out of position in the Australian team and also move our best bat out of his best position (where he has been making the most runs in the world this year) at the same time? Thank god you arent coach. I assume you want Buddy in the ruck in footy season as well?

Victorians hate Clarke basically because as a young player he was rushed into the side at the expense of a number of more experienced and credentialled players such as Hodge. If you are unfavourably disposed towards a player initially you tend to fixate on his negative points throughout his career.

Outside of Victoria he is not especially disliked. As with all players he has his supporters and detractors, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Think you're wrong there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So even though Quiney's preferred position is 3, he has made all of his runs at the top of the order and that is the reason he got a gig in the Australian side in the first place, you would then bat him out of position in the Australian team and also move our best bat out of his best position (where he has been making the most runs in the world this year) at the same time? Thank god you arent coach. I assume you want Buddy in the ruck in footy season as well?

That is a pretty stupid analogy. Picking Buddy in the ruck is equal to picking Quiney as a bowler.

Yeah you're right though, I forgot about some of Australia's greatest and most memorable players started off at 5 or 6 in the modern era of cricket. I think it was Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Michael Clarke, Ricky Ponting, David Boon, Allan Border, Damien Martyn and Dean Jones all debuting at positions they weren't playing in Stateland, there's probably more, care to help me? I'm positive no other great Australian players went from such a lesser position into a pivotal one like number three. Could you remind me where Australia's greatest batsman and considered the greatest batsman ever debuted and played his first 5 or so tests?

That is a pretty stupid analogy. Picking Buddy in the ruck is equal to picking Quiney as a bowler.

Yeah you're right though, I forgot about some of Australia's greatest and most memorable players started off at 5 or 6 in the modern era of cricket. I think it was Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Michael Clarke, Ricky Ponting, David Boon, Allan Border, Damien Martyn and Dean Jones all debuting at positions they weren't playing in Stateland, there's probably more, care to help me? I'm positive no other great Australian players went from such a lesser position into a pivotal one like number three. Could you remind me where Australia's greatest batsman and considered the greatest batsman ever debuted and played his first 5 or so tests?

My you are angry, R U Ok? Need a cuddle? While you quote some good examples, they are from different eras. The majority of the players you mention debuted in very strong teams where you could afford to shuffle players around.

Today's team however is batting-weak, yet you want to change the one thing which is working brilliantly for us? Wonderful strategy, no idea why those terrible cricket minds such as Langer, Arthur and co haven't done as you so vehemently suggest...

Think you're wrong there.
It is part of the reason

He was part of the "nsw boys club"

He was treated very kindly early on when he wasn't performing, and kept More deserving players out of the side
One thing people hate is people who don't earn thier living, in any profession

Since he began performing, the hate has subsided

My you are angry, R U Ok? Need a cuddle? While you quote some good examples, they are from different eras. The majority of the players you mention debuted in very strong teams where you could afford to shuffle players around.

Today's team however is batting-weak, yet you want to change the one thing which is working brilliantly for us? Wonderful strategy, no idea why those terrible cricket minds such as Langer, Arthur and co haven't done as you so vehemently suggest...

Yep, thanks for your examples on why it won't work. I now realise that Langer is the batting order coach and that Arthur has the authority to over ride the captain. So if that is the case, then yes, they are terrible cricket minds.

Good lord. Unless you're within the aussie camp, or out on the field, you can't say such things. And don't give me this "its my opinion" bullshight.

Obviously it is my opinion because I wrote it, you are quoting it and now I'm responding with South Africa blocked out 148 overs on Adelaide Oval. 82.5 overs in Perth was all it took. Three South Africans faced over a 100 balls, AB faced 220 for 33 runs. He could curb his naturally game, on a tougher pitch for 220 balls. 220 balls or what was the same amount of balls from 2-6 faced today for Australia. You're telling me it isn't a piss weak loss? Maybe you need to visit this; http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/226371.html

Obviously it is my opinion because I wrote it, you are quoting it and now I'm responding with South Africa blocked out 148 overs on Adelaide Oval. 82.5 overs in Perth was all it took. Three South Africans faced over a 100 balls, AB faced 220 for 33 runs. He could curb his naturally game, on a tougher pitch for 220 balls. 220 balls or what was the same amount of balls from 2-6 faced today for Australia. You're telling me it isn't a piss weak loss? Maybe you need to visit this; http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/226371.html
It's a shocking lose, no doubt. But to say there was no motivation, and from pup? Well you're comment has no weight.

Good lord. Unless you're within the aussie camp, or out on the field, you can't say such things. And don't give me this "its my opinion" bullshight.

i get what you are trying to say,

but without context, does it mean no one can comment on the goings on at any afl club too because posters are not in the club so to speak?

Getting out hooking/pulling or walking down the pitch, in this situation, is pathetic.

I thought that shit would go when Haddin went.

And Clarke yesterday said the batting order would need a re-shuffle, and he'd bat where ever was best for the team.

I got excited coz I thought he was going to man-up; then he said he'd need to discuss it with Micky Arthur before making a decision.

Getting out hooking/pulling or walking down the pitch, in this situation, is pathetic.

I thought that shit would go when Haddin went.

And Clarke yesterday said the batting order would need a re-shuffle, and he'd bat where ever was best for the team.

I got excited coz I thought he was going to man-up; then he said he'd need to discuss it with Micky Arthur before making a decision.

Cowan Clarke Hussey Wade all got out stupidly yesterday.

Man up....... and bat out of his best position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back