Why Were Essendon So Highly Fancied Before Round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Offload Dodo? You've got to be kidding. He's a good Essendon person. The problem is hiring these non-Essendon hacks like Rutten and Worsfold and Knights. If they'd just stuck to good Essendon people they would have been right and Hirdy and Bomber only made their missteps because they were trying to fix the damage the non-Essendon hacks had done to the club. ;)
lol,it took a Richmond Plumber and FC legend to get theyre useless asses the only 4 flags theyve claimed in the past 57 years...and counting
so much for Essendon people A

lol,it took a Richmond Plumber and FC legend to get theyre useless asses the only 4 flags theyve claimed in the past 57 years...and counting
so much for Essendon people A
Everyone knows the Kevin Sheedy was always an Essendon person even when he grew up in Melbourne's Zone and even when he played for Prahran in the VFA and even more so when jumped at the chance to play for Richmond! How dare you question Kevin Sheedy's innate Essendoness! ;)

They have gone backwards year on year since the Matty Knights sacking.

In minute detail, my bomber mates can trace the beginning of the backslide to that fateful day.

Not sure where they go from here really.
Don't they trace the backward slide to appointing Matty Knights in the first place.

Don't they trace the backward slide to appointing Matty Knights in the first place.
It was even before. Apparently Sheedy wanted to rebuild in early 2000's and the board wouldn't let him. Peter Jackson laments it when he went on the SACKED podcast.

That’s pretty much it.

Fans were accepting we might regress this year but not be 2-9 at the half way point.
Yeah an over achieving 2021 so I thought you might drop a bit. I thought like 4-7 or 5-6 though

I don't mind saying I got sucked in by their form of last season. Their list manager has injected some pure talent into the squad over the years and I feel that once they fill in the cracks in their list, they might shoot up the ladder, hence their desperate attempt to get a deal ready to tempt Rowan Marshall into their den.

It's mystifying what has happened to the dash of last year. Players like Hind, Parish, Francis and StrungOut were red hot last year, now they're ice cold. Their morale seems to be at an all time low too. Parish looked like he was going to give some GBH Heppell's way on the weekend. They haven't really been a cohesive unit since the days of Jobe Watson, Jakey Carlisle and Paddy Ryder.

Obviously questions remain over the coaches, would they be better off with "Horse" Longmire or a ddict ator type? Is Caracella OD'ing on tactics? Is Rutten capable of getting the players to needle the opposition, rather than each other? Do the young players have enough ferocity to win back the pill?

Selection wise, are some underperforming seniors given the nod automatically because of their names and cut of the salary rather than their form? And what about this player they could get in the MSD, young Jack Illadvisedinvasivemedicalprocedure?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind saying I got sucked in by their form of last season. Their list manager has injected some pure talent into the squad over the years and I feel that once they fill in the cracks in their list, they might shoot up the ladder, hence their desperate attempt to get a deal ready to tempt Rowan Marshall into their den.

It's mystifying what has happened to the dash of last year. Players like Hind, Parish, Francis and StrungOut were red hot last year, now they're ice cold. Their morale seems to be at an all time low too. Parish looked like he was going to give some GBH Heppell's way on the weekend. They haven't really been a cohesive unit since the days of Jobe Watson, Jakey Carlisle and Paddy Ryder.

Obviously questions remain over the coaches, would they be better off with "Horse" Longmire or a ddict ator type? Is Caracella OD'ing on tactics? Is Rutten capable of getting the players to needle the opposition, rather than each other? Do the young players have enough ferocity to win back the pill?

Selection wise, are some underperforming seniors given the nod automatically because of their names and cut of the salary rather than their form? And what about this player they could get in the MSD, young Jack Illadvisedinvasivemedicalprocedure?
Brilliant.

I counted 13 drug references.

I must admit, I got sucked into the midfield of Merrett, Shiel, Parish, Caldwell, Stringer and McGrath. On paper it looked deep. But sadly they are too similar.

I watched Caldwell for a 15 min period on Sunday in the last quarter and he could barely get to a contest to impact. (Not saying he is no good on one game, but I couldn’t believe what I was watching).

I don’t know any Bombers fans who had us higher than 7th or 8th with most including myself thinking 10th-12th and with a lot of luck sneak higher.
Unfortunately Essendon sells papers and gets plenty of media clicks so the absolute hacks know that by pumping us up they will get good audiences
Does this Bay13 thread count?

Everyone knows the Kevin Sheedy was always an Essendon person even when he grew up in Melbourne's Zone and even when he played for Prahran in the VFA and even more so when jumped at the chance to play for Richmond! How dare you question Kevin Sheedy's innate Essendoness! ;)
the freemason club has converted him into detesting all his successes @ Richmond as if it never happened....theyve a successful MK ULTRA programme
in operation up on Windy Shill,i'll give them that, they have you believe you was nothing before you walked thru the pillars of Joachim & Boaz
and once you have you're entitled,according to them,to do absolutely anything it takes to defeat your opponent regardless of rules and contracts
always been a strange place and club Essendon,always.

The thread "St Kilda is in no man's land" should be renamed "Essendon is in no man's land".

Haven't won a final since 2004 and not looking likely anytime soon

They are playing a bunch of kids, which is great (8 players 21 or under and 4 23 year olds on the weekend).

But, will those kids become any good?

When their president comes out and declares he’s confident they win a premiership in 2-3 years, it’s this kind of stupidity that invites the criticism.
Having a look at the list you'd think it would peak in about 4-5 years time (whether or not it's premiership quality is another question). As Merrett, Parish and Wright have the last of their quality seasons and current youngsters like Hobbs, Perkins, Cox, Reid, Jones etc have hit their straps. In this time they can also clear out a lot of the deadwood on the list like Devon Smith.

Whilst Melbourne did it, it's not often that a team wins a flag within a few years of a bottom 4 finish. Hawthorn, Bulldogs and Brisbane all did it as well. But the later two mentioned had a change of head coaches that allowed them to win it and the other one was coached by Clarkson. An interesting situation at Essendon indeed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Were Essendon So Highly Fancied Before Round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back