Why Were Essendon So Highly Fancied Before Round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

about bang on.
I'd add a 5th in a mature CHF.

ruck stocks are too immature
CHB - non-existent
CHF - injury prone kid
small forwards - Snelling (good), Smith (cooked), Wanganeen (raw), Guelfi (not a fwd)
big mids - non-existent. we have HFF playing roles

So the list is still full of holes.....but Flogoro apparently has the full support of the club. Seems seriously wrong to me.

Merrett - Altar Boy
Parish - Choir boy
McGrath - Choir Boy
Caldwell - Altar Boy
Shiel - Choir Boy

Where is the mongrel??

It's obviously our biggest weakness. Our tackling would be the worst in the AFL or close. Very harsh on Parish there though - he averages more clearances and contested possessions than anyone at the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's obviously our biggest weakness. Our tackling would be the worst in the AFL or close. Very harsh on Parish there though - he averages more clearances and contested possessions than anyone at the Swans.
Yeah fair enough but hes not a mongrel . Opposition players aren't scared of him. You need a bit of crazy. Take no prisoners.

Look at your 2000 flag side.

Wallis = lunatic
Hardwick = lunatic
Mark Johnson = lunatic

73937.M_Johnson.png

I feel dirty for saying this, but I almost feel bad for Essendon fans who see these kind of charts. Their supporters aren't putting them together, but it's still a tacit nod to being ready to launch - and as a supporter it's hard not to feel optimistic when external sources are pumping you up.

At that point in time Hobbs hadn't even played a game, Shiel and Smith looked done and Stringer had played half an elite season as a Bomber. Plenty of the other guys are just solid role players who have finished their development arc.

Parish and Merrett are the only genuine A-graders there - one has been elite for 18 months.

Mick Malthouse really does have a knack of putting the moz on a club.

When their president comes out and declares he’s confident they win a premiership in 2-3 years, it’s this kind of stupidity that invites the criticism.
He was just trying to copy Richmond again.

Anyway, I don't get the premise of the thread.
Aren't Essendon a to 4 team every February?

Yeah fair enough but hes not a mongrel . Opposition players aren't scared of him. You need a bit of crazy. Take no prisoners.

Look at your 2000 flag side.

Wallis = lunatic
Hardwick = lunatic
Mark Johnson = lunatic

73937.M_Johnson.png

All the best sides have a few lunatics in them. Tis why I like some of our young fellas who play close to the line.

Kingy highlighted Parish on his 30m rushed clearances which often lead to turnovers. Compared them to other mids who are more damaging by kicking the ball further to space, a contest, or an open player - leading to more damaging results.

Parish is where Oliver was a few years ago. Stat accumulator but not even slightly damaging. Oliver has improved a lot and now does damage with the ball.

That is what Parish needs to do. But really, the entire Essendon midfield needs to. And they need to all stop being one way runners.

no matter where essendon is on the ladder the panel shows will dedicate disproportionate time to them. same as carlton.

personally sick of hearing about bombers
Although I'm loving the bashing they are copping at the moment and they deserve it too mind you, I'm getting sick of it too.

But that's the media. They have to talk about something that will get them the most clicks.

Kingy highlighted Parish on his 30m rushed clearances which often lead to turnovers. Compared them to other mids who are more damaging by kicking the ball further to space, a contest, or an open player - leading to more damaging results.

Parish is where Oliver was a few years ago. Stat accumulator but not even slightly damaging. Oliver has improved a lot and now does damage with the ball.

That is what Parish needs to do. But really, the entire Essendon midfield needs to. And they need to all stop being one way runners.

As much as I rate the opinion of football luminary's such as David King, Parish did finish 9th in the coaches association votes last year. He isn't as good this year but he also has very little support in the midfield (Stringer really papered over the cracks in our small midfield). Our small mids just can't wear contact and release players into space like good extractors can. Darcy's disposal would look better if he had more support. Even Stringer as a part time midfielder helped a lot.

As much as I rate the opinion of football luminary's such as David King, Parish did finish 9th in the coaches association votes last year. He isn't as good this year but he also has very little support in the midfield (Stringer really papered over the cracks in our small midfield). Our small mids just can't wear contact and release players into space like good extractors can. Darcy's disposal would look better if he had more support. Even Stringer as a part time midfielder helped a lot.

It was reviewing this year, not last year. And yes, Parish needs help. He needs a big body in the middle with him. Yet Dodoro continues to recruit half back flankers.

It was reviewing this year, not last year. And yes, Parish needs help. He needs a big body in the middle with him. Yet Dodoro continues to recruit half back flankers.

You said he was where Oliver was a few years ago. I was just showing that just last year the coaches rated him as an effective and valuable player. I admitted he hasn't been as good this year.
Here are our first and second rounders of recent years:
Hobbs, Perkins, Reid, Cox, Jones, Eyre, Bryan and Caldwell was traded in for two second rounders. No half back flankers there.
Alastair Lord was recruited last year with a pick around 50, and D'Ambrossio in the mid season draft, so obviously he is not spending much capital on that type of player. I see no problem with those picks anyways considering we lost our two best HBFers in Mckenna and Saad recently. We really only replaced one of them with Hind, and he is turning 28 this year.

Last edited:
Probably because of all their top 10 picks ( including Shiel,Stringer, Wright traded in), and their average age.
Would have expected improvement from their 3 2020 draft top 10 picks.
Alot like GWS in terms of top 10 picks, average age.

The media overrates and overhypes them every year.

Don't get me wrong, I like the look of a bunch of their youngsters and I think it'll be a fairly quick turnaround, however some of their more experienced players need to call it a day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Were Essendon So Highly Fancied Before Round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back