Will Brisbane play finals next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
2005 was a horro year for the Lions, an unheard of 5 in-a-row losses at the Gabba essentially killed off any decent chance of us giving it a shake.

I think with a decent injury run, combined with our new kids having a bit of experience under their belt that we could pull off a 5th-8th position by the end of the home and away season.

Probably havent got enough class at the moment to survive an entire finals campaign yet though.

i hope so TBD.....it was a shocking year with many games lost that we would have penciled in at the start of the season...no brown, black and leppa during several crucial times during the season didnt help us either.
Hopefully Brennan can string 10 games together next season. What do u reckon?

FFC + BBFC = BBFFC said:
i hope so TBD.....it was a shocking year with many games lost that we would have penciled in at the start of the season...no brown, black and leppa during several crucial times during the season didnt help us either.
Hopefully Brennan can string 10 games together next season. What do u reckon?

Make or break year for Brennan definately.

I think yes.
They will just sneak into the 8.

Matthews will rebuild the side very swiftly and a disciplined off-season would have been good for them.

They still have plenty of fuel left in the tank, and all that need is one of the full-forwards to step up and for their defence to have another good year.

TheBrownDog said:
2005 was a horro year for the Lions, an unheard of 5 in-a-row losses at the Gabba essentially killed off any decent chance of us giving it a shake.

I think with a decent injury run, combined with our new kids having a bit of experience under their belt that we could pull off a 5th-8th position by the end of the home and away season.

Probably havent got enough class at the moment to survive an entire finals campaign yet though.

Eh?

Ridiculous. Still have lots of good players, actually great players. Its all up to the kids now if they can stand up next year and provide the run then Brisbane will be looking at a top 4 spot.

Definatly in the mix for a 5-8 finish, probably not top 4.

With a spine of Michael-Leppa-Voss-Brown-Bradshaw, and Aker, Lappin and Black in the middle your always a chance.

TheBrownDog said:

I'd say they are a good bet. Lethal grinds hard footy out of his men: it wears them out but there's still some grist in the mill.

Occasionally older sides get a fantastic run with injuries and suddenly they're unbeatable. Thnk carlton 1995: they were so far over the hill it wasn't funny, but when injury failed to strike (as you might reasonably expect it too) all their accumulated experience and talent made them fearsome.

Palace03 said:
Definatly in the mix for a 5-8 finish, probably not top 4.

With a spine of Michael-Leppa-Voss-Brown-Bradshaw, and Aker, Lappin and Black in the middle your always a chance.

Yep, the old guard definately has one last shake left in them.

Yep, Brissie will make the finals. The Lions have the best coach in the business IMO. Lethal will wring every drop of G & D from the younger fellas and they will carry Brissie to another Semi at best.

They are no certainties but if the can keep their squad fit then they must have a good chance. The real question about the 2006 season might be if they can they get back to their winning ways at the Gabba. Lost too many games up there in 2005.

Should make the finals given a touch of luck with injuries and the home ground advantage they have at the Gabba.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a lot depends on their youngsters such as Brennan, Merret, Sherman, Drummond, Hadley etc, they need to take the workload of Voss and co, because the great player Voss is/was he's becomming less damaging each year, 7 - 9 finnish IMO and will struggle running into the finals when their older stars are feeling the effects of a long season, would love to see them do well though because if the Hawks can't win it:( i hope Bris do.

I think they will,still a great home advantage and a array of out and out superstars even though depth is thinning and players getting older.Should finish between 6-8.:)

Voss, Black, Akermanis, Power, Lappin, Sherman, Hadley, Selwood...should be a good enough midfield to make top 6.

Add that with Bradshaw and Brown, with Merrett up there to cause some problems.

Michael is still reliable, if Leppa can stand up and not get injured, they will easily make the finals.

Nope, I don't think so. They aged really fast, almost during the GF against Port, very reminiscent of the Bombers fall against the Lions in '01, and now need to build that next generation.

Still have some great and intimidating players and will post some surprise wins, but not enough pace and quality youth to keep up with the Eagles, Swans, Geelong, Saints, Crows or Bulldogs (who I think will be the big movers).

I think Melbourne, Freo, the Roos and Port are most likely to fight out the other spots, and (of course I think) Essendon (very kind draw), Hawthorn and the Tiges have more youth on the cusp who could surprise.

That leaves the Lions with Carlton, Collingwood that I really don't think can contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Brisbane play finals next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back