Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I see that. Myself I reckon he needs to prove a bit more before I would assess him that way.
his form in NEAFL has been pretty average over the last 2 years. he simply doesn't get much of the pill. if he isn't getting it at that level hard to see him getting enough of it at afl level to justify a best 22 position. to put it in perspective, I think he is well behind Aish, behind Blair and Broomhead all of whom I cant see as best 22.
think we paid well overs in the draft for the potential a few posters speak of. hope I am wrong

By memory his season last year was riddled with injury. Couldnt get a good run at it and probably wasnt at his best all year, he is capable when fit. I remember a game he kicked 6 goals in very early on for GWS.

Strictly a forward though, because as other posters have mentioned, he doesnt win enough of the ball to play on a wing or something like that.

Just watch the highlights.
He has above average ability.
Just needs a good run with injuries.

Highlights packages can make players look much better than they actually are. No doubt that WHE has talent, but consistency is something he has lacked his entire career, even in his best years when he had little to no injuries. It's a legitimate concern that many people have over him, and all the talent in the world won't help him if he can't get his hands on the pill regularly.

Highlights packages can make players look much better than they actually are. No doubt that WHE has talent, but consistency is something he has lacked his entire career, even in his best years when he had little to no injuries. It's a legitimate concern that many people have over him, and all the talent in the world won't help him if he can't get his hands on the pill regularly.

In Hoskin-Elliott I just think we need a player who makes something happen up forward and is efficient with his opportunities. Similar to Rioli (different style of course). I don't think he needs to be a high possession winner for us.

In Hoskin-Elliott I just think we need a player who makes something happen up forward and is efficient with his opportunities. Similar to Rioli (different style of course). I don't think he needs to be a high possession winner for us.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. Probably poor use of words on my part. If he's a low possession winner that can have a high impact on a regular basis that's fine. As it is though, he's low possession, with low impact mostly and a massive impact on a very irregular basis. I liken him to Seedsman at this point. Both very different players, but both have the ability to tear a game apart on a good day, and both go missing regularly. If he can put it all together and become a consistent impact player that's would be great, but after 5 years in the system I'm just not convinced that he will ever put it together enough to be that consistent type of player.

That's why I'd like him to play in the backline. Up forward I don't think he'll add anything that Fasolo and Elliott don't already do. I think he'll find the pill easy down back and can use pace more effectively there, plus he's a good over head mark. Think playing down back might suit him like it does Howe.

lets put blairs 'highlights' up against his and then see who looks better

I think you misunderstood what I meant. Probably poor use of words on my part. If he's a low possession winner that can have a high impact on a regular basis that's fine. As it is though, he's low possession, with low impact mostly and a massive impact on a very irregular basis. I liken him to Seedsman at this point. Both very different players, but both have the ability to tear a game apart on a good day, and both go missing regularly. If he can put it all together and become a consistent impact player that's would be great, but after 5 years in the system I'm just not convinced that he will ever put it together enough to be that consistent type of player.

Yeah I agree. If WHE can be a consistent high impact but low possession player that is fine for us. I too have concerns whether he can be that player consistently, I voiced those before we recruited him, but having said that I can see why took the chance. If he gains that consistency in his game he fills a real need in the side as an xfactor forward. I think we need to give him every chance to be that for us and i'd be playing him from round 1 if fit.

lets put blairs 'highlights' up against his and then see who looks better
I'm not exactly sure what your point is? WHE's highlights package would likely be more spectacular, but Blairs would be about 5x longer I'd wager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't say you are wrong, but he does have ability.
He is not a plodder.
Barracking for the Pies as a kid might give him motivation.
I have a soft spot for him because he went to same High School as I did 35 of so years ago. ;););)

Can't say you are wrong, but he does have ability.
He is not a plodder.
Barracking for the Pies as a kid might give him motivation.
I have a soft spot for him because he went to same High School as I did 35 of so years ago. ;););)
Oh, I never said he was a plodder, and I'm not going to pretend he isn't supremely talented. My concern is consistency, not ability.

And Karnezis barracked for the pies as a kid too. And Seedsman. TBH I think if you don't have the right attitude at a different club it won't make a difference if you move to your favorite club.

Agree and I would not Complain IF he comes that sort player that does not get a Ton of the Ball but still has High Impact with them

Oh, I never said he was a plodder, and I'm not going to pretend he isn't supremely talented. My concern is consistency, not ability.

And Karnezis barracked for the pies as a kid too. And Seedsman. TBH I think if you don't have the right attitude at a different club it won't make a difference if you move to your favorite club.

So it's more Mental then Physical with WHE?

Not convinced with WHE... but no doubt interviewed well, is a good citizen, trains well, etc... so pies took the punt. My only concern is the price we paid.

In recent years there are a number of first and second round recruits in sier, freeman, shaz, aish and WHE... who have either outright failed (freeman) or in the case of the rest are yet to prove their price just yet due to injury and/or form (with exception of WHE who is new). The success of these picks are crucial to our future top 4 ambitions

But on the basis of price I was also no fan of the varcoe and howe recruitments, so I'm pretty happy to be wrong.

Not convinced with WHE... but no doubt interviewed well, is a good citizen, trains well, etc... so pies took the punt. My only concern is the price we paid.

In recent years there are a number of first and second round recruits in sier, freeman, shaz, aish and WHE... who have either outright failed (freeman) or in the case of the rest are yet to prove their price just yet due to injury and/or form (with exception of WHE who is new). The success of these picks are crucial to our future top 4 ambitions

But on the basis of price I was also no fan of the varcoe and howe recruitments, so I'm pretty happy to be wrong.
Shut up he'll be a gun! Howewas always a good pickup and varcoe for that flog was a win from the start!@
Where over..

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back