Will Judd turn into a Akermanis

Remove this Banner Ad

IF your winning the ball out of the centre of course it is going to have an impact on your defence. Generally if your MF is getting beaten, your defence is under constant pressure. If your midfield is winning, the ball will be going into defence far less often so i consider it quite strange that you dont think having Stevens in your side would effect your performance/position at all. Quite a stunning thing to say, particularly from a Carlton supporter.

Stevens would have proved a mojor difference for your team this year and he would be sorely missed next year if he is not there to support Judd.

Stevens defensive game is lacking... our mid field won their fair share of the ball without him. Our forward line and midfield worked really well this year to finish 6th in the league for points for especially as he wasn't there. As for the bit in bold I never said that. I just said that Stevens would not help our defense as he is an outside player who plays off his man. The opposition sides look to tag him and he shows no accountability because that's his role, peel off get the outside ball and kick it to the forwards. Stevens next year will be a bonus as he missed this year and our mid field still did pretty well. Judd will be an even bigger bonus.

Also you fail to realise that "winning the ball our of the center" can only happen after a goal is scored. In a low scoring match you need in and under players to help you win the stoppages. Stevens is not that type of player. He is generally the receiver after guys like Murphy, Bentick, walker etc get that hard ball get.

Don't take me out of context, Stevens and Judd will add amazing depth to an already well functioning mid field but them alone will not critically stem the flow of ball traveling between the sticks at the wrong end of the ground!

Our big problem has been ball use.

We win loads of stoppages, even when we were getting belted we often still did quite well in this area.

Agreed. Stevens is an outside player and will assist there but wont help us win more stoppages etc. Our major concern is going to be our denfense. We need Jamo, Thornton, Saddington, Bower, Walker, Scotland, Waite etc to take that next step and become the solid backbone we know they can be :thumbsu:

Disagree here chels.

Our big problem has been ball use.

We win loads of stoppages, even when we were getting belted we often still did quite well in this area.

Our problem was this.
We win the ball. All our mids (bar maybe Banno tagging) runs forward to receive at this point.
After a couple of handballs, the ball is clear and we kick upfield.........turnover.

Now our mids have instantly gone from 5-10m in front of tyheir man to 5-10 behind.
We look up and wonder why there are "so many lose men running around........MAN UP!!.... we shout."

Ball comes into the defence regularly without much pressure.
No defence in the league can handle this sort of pressure.

Now, add Judd and Stevo.
Hit the target going forward, the opposition mids now have to keep chasing our running forwards, others can turn to find their man. Now if we turn it over it comes back under pressure.

Secondly, if that target we hit is a forwrd inside 50 we get to stop and catch our breath. Teams with poor skills often look unfit..........they have to run and chase more.

Stevo would have made a difference in the games we lost by 3-4 goals which could have seen us 6-7/11 mid year and thinking about finals.

Add Judd and get one ruck in Aisake or Hampson to take a step up and we could see some 6-7 goal turnarounds from results last year IMO.

Just my thoughts.

great post :thumbsu:

okkkkkkkk

here is the main point....

Having Judd (whether he is 04 form or not) this will make him the oppositions number one target. This allowing the likes of Murphey, Stevens, Gibbs, Carrots, Walker and Scotland to play with more freedom.

I believe that by having Judd in the side, the most devisating thing he can do to oppositiongs is to allow the allow the likes of Murph and Gibbs grow and develop faster.

Murphs will no longer be tagged as heavily and will become one of the competitions elite ball magnets and users.

Go JUDD the Distractor 08

True.
People need to realise though that Judd didn't exist in a bubble.

The phenomenon that we saw over the past 5-6 years is as much a product of his coaches game plan, dominant team mates and fitness as it was his pure football ability.

Don't get me wrong, he is a gun BUT:
  • No Cox, Cousins, Kerr, Embley, Fletcher
  • Different game plan, new coach feeling his way
  • New teamates. We will zig when he zags - initially he may run to spots that we don't think to look. He got LOADS of help in the way of hard running teamamtes to block for him, dominant Cox tapping into his line etc.
  • He has to prove his fitness
All this taken into account I give Judd a quiet first half of the season, as Aker had.

By the second half of next year, assuming he is fit, he and the rest of the team should be used to the game plan, should be getting used to each other and where to look for one another.........and with any ounce of luck Aisake will be slotting it down Judd's throat.:thumbsu:

Agree,
but we cant forget Judd's first two years in AFL. They got him as PP selection before round 1 and he dominated almost from game 1, poor team Pre Cox. I know he hadn't the rep he's got now, but the team grew as he did. Kerr was the luckiest bein the third option.
imo, Stevens isn't a man you want free, if you have to take them both out and Murph isn't up to the gig, Scotland is a proven ball winner and quality finisher.
Ok we can't put in Cus, Kerr and Fletcher, but we have better midfield options than most teams, and they still need to be covered.

I would like to see Walker, Waite and Setanta go up another gear, so that their running and areobic capacity stretch most teams for options:thumbsu:

im really worried that Chris Judd might turn into a Jason Akermanis after he moved to the dogs and has done nothing what so ever...

i think we shouldnt put to much pressure on Judd next season, i think it might even take him a season or so to settle in at the blues, i hope he fits in straight away, but when i look at Aker it gets me scared

So when did Carlton supporters turn into timid little girls (no offense to the timid little girl community)?

Chris Judd is the best player in the league. Become very smug people, he's going to be great.

Judd hads done what he has done at a club he hasn't wanted to be at since 2004. Imagine what he will do at a club he loves and surrounded by a young group of kids he respects. He will be our benchmark. He will set the example. And players like Murph, 1AW, Gibbs , simmo, Waite will be better because of what he does before, during and after games.

to the bloke who said 'Judd has rucked, broken clear from the pack etc' your slightly exaggerating. He is great, but in my years of watching Judd I have NEVER seen him ruck, then rove his own hit-out and break-away. Settle down there blue boys and wait till he plays a game.

to the bloke who said 'Judd has rucked, broken clear from the pack etc' your slightly exaggerating. He is great, but in my years of watching Judd I have NEVER seen him ruck, then rove his own hit-out and break-away. Settle down there blue boys and wait till he plays a game.
Amazing the changes in Eagle supporters opinions. When Kennedy was a blue he was a dud. Now he is an Eagle he WILL be a star. Judd was a GOD at the Eagles now he is only a great player.
Judd left your club for 2 reasons - its a shame those 2 reasons have now been sacked.

No there was this one time... I am pretty sure it was against the doggies. When watching on TV it was on the left side of the screen, on the 50m arc on the far side, there was a boundry throw in, he spiked it from the ruck, did two spins to clear the pack took half a dozen steps and slotted the ball from 40. It was amazing, that amazing it has stuck in my head!

It's a lot easier playing amongst a team of champions and it will definately be a lot harder for him this year as he will be playing amongst an average list of players. No Cox will be the most noted thing as Cox certainly made Judd's life easy at WC. Cox, Cousins, Kerr, Embley as opposed to Ackland, Stevens, Murphy, and? It actually looks pretty scary when you look at it that way. You wouldnt want Stevens to go down again or you would be in huge strife.

So you are saying that the blues will be playing Judd, Stevens and Murphy in the VFL week in and week out... I dont think so.

As soon as Aisake got promoted to the senior list from the rookie list Ackland's time as first ruck ended. With Cloke having spent the year getting back into shape after his shoulder injury and Hampson showing a fair bit in his couple of games at the end of the year our ruck division will be quite tasty with those 3 knocking it down the throats of Judd, Stevens, Murphy and Gibbs who will then farm it out to Simpson, Walker, Scotland, Carrazzo to pump into our forward line.

Geez it's going to be damned hard watching that... really hard :)

Amazing the changes in Eagle supporters opinions. When Kennedy was a blue he was a dud. Now he is an Eagle he WILL be a star. Judd was a GOD at the Eagles now he is only a great player.
Judd left your club for 2 reasons - its a shame those 2 reasons have now been sacked.

*sigh* - where is the change in my opinion? Oh, im just tarred with the same brush. Judd is brilliant. I dont know enough of JK and have never commented so. Judd may have left for many reasons...do you know him personally do you?

'No there was this one time... I am pretty sure it was against the doggies. When watching on TV it was on the left side of the screen, on the 50m arc on the far side, there was a boundry throw in, he spiked it from the ruck, did two spins to clear the pack took half a dozen steps and slotted the ball from 40. It was amazing, that amazing it has stuck in my head!'

Yes i remember that game, i believe he didnt ruck it though, it was a shonky throw in. But that was awesome how he spun out of traffic and just gunned it and kicked the goal.

Yes i remember that game, i believe he didnt ruck it though, it was a shonky throw in. But that was awesome how he spun out of traffic and just gunned it and kicked the goal.

It wasn't your typical tap and rover it was a pluck out of the air and with his core strength and spins he got through the traffic... amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you are saying that the blues will be playing Judd, Stevens and Murphy in the VFL week in and week out... I dont think so.

As soon as Aisake got promoted to the senior list from the rookie list Ackland's time as first ruck ended. With Cloke having spent the year getting back into shape after his shoulder injury and Hampson showing a fair bit in his couple of games at the end of the year our ruck division will be quite tasty with those 3 knocking it down the throats of Judd, Stevens, Murphy and Gibbs who will then farm it out to Simpson, Walker, Scotland, Carrazzo to pump into our forward line.

Geez it's going to be damned hard watching that... really hard :)

Aisake has to be promoted this year, or we have to let him go, which wont happen. Judd will be a star for the blues, and after reading every post in this thread no one has mentioned Kruezer, there is another option to consider when discussing our future midfield. The young players will lift to another level with judd next to them, add the experience that our young players have had up to now and in 08 and beyond we will see massive improvements in our club.

Stevens defensive game is lacking... our mid field won their fair share of the ball without him. Our forward line and midfield worked really well this year to finish 6th in the league for points for especially as he wasn't there. As for the bit in bold I never said that. I just said that Stevens would not help our defense as he is an outside player who plays off his man. The opposition sides look to tag him and he shows no accountability because that's his role, peel off get the outside ball and kick it to the forwards. Stevens next year will be a bonus as he missed this year and our mid field still did pretty well. Judd will be an even bigger bonus.

Also you fail to realise that "winning the ball our of the center" can only happen after a goal is scored. In a low scoring match you need in and under players to help you win the stoppages. Stevens is not that type of player. He is generally the receiver after guys like Murphy, Bentick, walker etc get that hard ball get.

Don't take me out of context, Stevens and Judd will add amazing depth to an already well functioning mid field but them alone will not critically stem the flow of ball traveling between the sticks at the wrong end of the ground!

This is an exact quote from your post "Stevens defensive game is not great. He would not of helped us there hence would not of helped the fact we finished 15th."

Correct me if i am wrong but are you not saying that Stevens would not have made a difference to your ladder position? I am not sure how i have misquoted you.I really think that you struggle to grasp the basic principles of football if you cant understand that by winning in the midfield ,by way of clearences and stopages, it will not help make life easier on your defence. I am pretty sure that one of the first things we were told in under 9's was that the best form of defence is attack but it seems you still seem not to grasp this thoery. If the ball is not getting into the oppositions forward line your defenders dont have anything to worry about so please dont try and tell me that Stevens would not make a difference in this regards.

Thats funny i havent heard any Eagles supporters claim that Kennedy is going to be a star.

Maybe you overheard a group of them saying it when you were out at lunch?

Maybe they were at the same restaurant where you claimed to have heard Greg Swann openly say the Andrew Embley was signing up with Carlton? :thumbsu:

BTW how can two reasons be sacked? LOL

This is an exact quote from your post "Stevens defensive game is not great. He would not of helped us there hence would not of helped the fact we finished 15th."

Correct me if i am wrong but are you not saying that Stevens would not have made a difference to your ladder position? I am not sure how i have misquoted you.I really think that you struggle to grasp the basic principles of football if you cant understand that by winning in the midfield ,by way of clearences and stopages, it will not help make life easier on your defence. I am pretty sure that one of the first things we were told in under 9's was that the best form of defence is attack but it seems you still seem not to grasp this thoery. If the ball is not getting into the oppositions forward line your defenders dont have anything to worry about so please dont try and tell me that Stevens would not make a difference in this regards.

Im not grasping the basics of football... the basic would be kick the ball through the goals to score 6 points. Dont flatter yourself. Besides improving the delivery into our forward line (which mind you, for the 3rd time, we finished 6th in the AFL for points for) how was an outside player like Stevens going to help with the in and under work? Are you sure you grasp the difference between an under and an outside player? I am beginning to think not.

By the way the best form of defence is attack? Right that's how Sydney won their flag by attacking at all costs and running their ball out of defense in a counter attack style. hmmm oh and that's how come the bulldogs have made and won so many grand finals because they pride themselves on this run/play on at all costs style of football. And what about the way how Richmond shut down Adelaide that day at the dome... heaps of attacking that day... And what about the Kangaroos style of play this year...

Being and Essendon supporter I wouldn't expect you to know anything about any other side... this is a trait that is possessed by all essendon supporters but Stevens is not a defender. He isn't even a defending tie down mid fielder. The ONLY thing he would of been help in would of been providing better delivery into the midfield. With the size of some of our loses it is sceptical at best to if we would of improved our ladder position.

Im not grasping the basics of football... the basic would be kick the ball through the goals to score 6 points. Dont flatter yourself. Besides improving the delivery into our forward line (which mind you, for the 3rd time, we finished 6th in the AFL for points for) how was an outside player like Stevens going to help with the in and under work? Are you sure you grasp the difference between an under and an outside player? I am beginning to think not.

By the way the best form of defence is attack? Right that's how Sydney won their flag by attacking at all costs and running their ball out of defense in a counter attack style. hmmm oh and that's how come the bulldogs have made and won so many grand finals because they pride themselves on this run/play on at all costs style of football. And what about the way how Richmond shut down Adelaide that day at the dome... heaps of attacking that day... And what about the Kangaroos style of play this year...

Being and Essendon supporter I wouldn't expect you to know anything about any other side... this is a trait that is possessed by all essendon supporters but Stevens is not a defender. He isn't even a defending tie down mid fielder. The ONLY thing he would of been help in would of been providing better delivery into the midfield. With the size of some of our loses it is sceptical at best to if we would of improved our ladder position.

Ahh ok. So Essendon supporters know nothing about any other teams. Once again, interesting call from you there.

I have one more question for you. If Stevens is not going to improve your ladder position at all as you claim why is he in your team?

Dont try and sugar coat things and change the subject. I am still at a loss as to how you can actually say that Stevens would not have made a difference to your team this year. The guy is going to be your skipper next year yet he is not going to have any influence on your ladder position.

Why dont we just wait and see what happens. If he plays in most games we will see how he goes and get an idea from others in regards to how they percieve his performances and the way he contibutes to the team. Maybe if you guys finish in a decent possy we can run a thread and ask if people believe that Stevens helped improve your ladder position. :thumbsu:

I am still at a loss as to how you can actually say that Stevens would not have made a difference to your team this year. The guy is going to be your skipper next year yet he is not going to have any influence on your ladder position.

No generally all trolls on this board don't know anything about our club, all they want to do is just come on here and post tripe all over the joint.

It is pretty simple you are saying that he would of had a massive influence on our ladder position because he would of won some more stoppages which would of helped our defence dramatically (clearly a view from someone who doesn't know the Carlton team all that well). I am saying that he isn't that type of player, he is an outside player and all he would of improved is our delivery into the forward line, an area which we didnt seem to have too much trouble with this year(with the exception of a few games like Geelong and Hawthorn). At the end of the day next year we will have Stevens back with Judd in there as well. Murphy and carro will become number 3 and 4 in that mid field and will be freed up to develop into serious match winners. These 4 along with Scotland, Blackwell, Russel, Walker, Simpson, Bentick and Gibbs will enable us to have some great extractors(Judd, Bentick, Blackwell, Murphy, Walker) and outside receivers (Stevens, Russell, Gibbs, Carro, Simpson, Scotland).

No generally all trolls on this board don't know anything about our club, all they want to do is just come on here and post tripe all over the joint.

What is this.........a signature comp?;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Judd turn into a Akermanis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back