Will the AFL cooperate with FFA for World Cup bid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Radio had interesting views on it including the fact that europe will want it back.

Personally i hope the afl doesn't help because I can't see myself going to the world cup matches and i don't want to screw with the afl season.

They should.
FIFA World Cup>>>>5 rounds of an AFL season.

There is no way that the AFL would try to prevent the worlds biggest sporting event coming to our shores for the first time. And nor should they.

Personally i hope the afl doesn't help because I can't see myself going to the world cup matches and i don't want to screw with the afl season.

If Australia hosts the tournament I think only about 0.01% of the people who apply for Australia game tickets will get any :p

As a fan of soccer I support Australia trying to get the World Cup :thumbsu: The big stumbling block will be our small size (20 million people) and our long distance from Europe and South America (perhaps not so much the later). So I support the bid but certainly won't be holding my breath.

BEST is according the the majority of the world's population- but obviously you know better than that.

Demolished? Your very first reply to any of my points made not one sufficient argument. :eek::eek:

I'm glad your idea of demolished is so simple and basic, similar it seems to your thought process.

Wow, great logic, simpleton.

Rice is the BEST food in the world! Chinese are the BEST people in the world. I could go on and on, and maybe I should because your logic is not a strong point.

In any case, it's not gonna happen. FIFA have bigger fish to fry and if they are gonna sacrifice tv by playing it in the wrong time zone they'll do it somewhere where they can benefit by growing the game. 20 million aint gonna cut it.

Not gonna happen. The soccer associations will gang up so that it gets played in Europe/Latin America, or fifa will coerce them to hold it in a strategic growth location - i.e. Asia. We don't have the population to justify fifa 'wasting' a world cup in this country. It wont happen.

We have 20 million people and are at the fringe of the sport both geographically and competitively. A silly ego trip for politicians and the starry-eyed soccer converts

the most correct and non-delusional post in this thread.

Im a big fan of the major international football competitions, but this is a pipedream.........and a major waste of our $$$ if the pollys decide to bid.

FIFA will look at the cost-benefit of staging a world cup here, and the goals of the organisation will be better served awarding it elsewhere. furthermore, FIFA is one of most political sporting bodies on the planet where Australia has little clout or potential for generating $$$.

a more realistic achievement for the FFA and federal govt is the Asian Championships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the greatest sporting event on the planet? That's just your opinion. In most other australians opinions they would name rugby or football competitions.

That is the stupidest thing I've ever read. Everybody knows that the FIFA World Cup is the biggest and greatest sports event in the world. Anybody who says otherwise is just deluded and lying to themselves.

Yeah, I'm sure the AFL GRAND FINAL is a bigger event than the World Cup. The world just can't wait to see the Power take on the Bombers, or the Crows play the Magpies. :rolleyes:

Let them have their World Cup here.

Look at the U.S.A, they hosted the World Cup and has soccer taken over in popularity from their domestic sports? The answer is a categorical no. The NFL is bigger than ever.

The AFL just needs to take advantage of the situation and bleed as much money out of the Government and soccer and throw it at our sport.

There is nothing to be worried about, Aussie rules has been entrenched in our culture for over 100 years, one tournament is not going to make much difference.

Not the greatest sporting event on the planet? That's just your opinion. In most other australians opinions they would name rugby or football competitions.

"Greatest" is a matter if opinion. "Biggest" is a matter of fact.
Too big for FIFA to give to Australia is also a matter of opinion; in this case one I happen to agree with.

Cue the bogans shouting "**** orf! Fairyball is for ****tas!"

Try to look at the bigger picture, and consider how huge this would be for OUR country, instead of pouting like children and living in your own little bubble. I'm not the biggest "soccer" fan, but I can see how great this would be for Australia, and I'd also love to see some of the greatest sportsmen in the world!

Ditto, would love to see any world class players play here.

While I support an Australian FIFA World Cup bid, I do have one reservation about it, that being the Europe/South America obstacle. Oh, yes trying to impress Sepp Blatter may be one thing, but getting the OK from the key heavyweights of FIFA-Europe & South America-is another thing. I reckon dealing with the AFL, NRL, ARU about suspending their comps are small fry in comparision to lobbying the European & South American delegates to get their votes in regards to any Australian FIFA World Cup bid in 2018-not easy. Remember, those two FIFA orgainisations-UEFA and its South American counterparts-do have a huge say about where they want the FIFA World Cup to be staged at.

Wow, great logic, simpleton.

Rice is the BEST food in the world! Chinese are the BEST people in the world. I could go on and on, and maybe I should because your logic is not a strong point..

That's clearly not what TSF meant, nor was it a theory put forward, it was a reply to your very, very simple posts. Especially the first one about them 'losing you' with the fact that it's the biggest sporting event in the world as a reason to get the World Cup. I guess you must like dull, simple, mundane and unpopular things, like your point of view.

why cant the World Cup be held in late september early october like sydney 2000 olympics?

2006 world cup was held in summer so why cant it be held in our spring.

Let's say Australia happens to make the next 2 World Cup playoffs - both would be realistic, given we are already in the hunt to make South Africa in 2010. The momentum for the game would be quite strong you would think.

We already know that the Asian Football Conferderation, of which we are a part of, have publicly stated they would support any Australian nomination to be a bidding country. So the bid is a realistic one.

We know that the vagaries of the World Cup is that it has to be held in June/July. Okay fair enough.

To me, I'm sure that our players would benefit from having 5 weeks off, particularly in terms of injury healing time and general fitness preparation.

We are fortunate in that if we were to host it, basically all the stadiums that w would be needing to use are either already built - or as in the case with the redevelopment of Subiaco, will have been completed. That would lessen the costs of hosting the event substantially so.

If they agree to pay the AFL a lot of money (ie. at least the equivalent 2 years full annual turnover) and commit to officially calling their sport Girlyball for the next 10 years, then discussions should be held. Otherwise they can p**s off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the AFL cooperate with FFA for World Cup bid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back