Will the AFL cooperate with FFA for World Cup bid?

Remove this Banner Ad

there is no doubt that if given the opportunity (and after spending the money required to prepare for it and get it here) Australia can stage a fantastic world cup..........but unlike the competition for staging the olympics, and as i mentioned before, the showcase event of soccer is being used as a stategy tool for growing the game in untapped 'major markets', when held outside of the game's powerbases...........USA 94........South Africa 2010 (Africa).........frankly, we aren't one.

The big confederations - UEFA and CONMEBOL - will not support the bid and the opportunity to attempt to grow the game in a country of 20m, and they wont support the bid at the expense of a UEFA members bid.

Furthermore, there's not enough stadia in the country to run the event. The WC generally requires at least 10 stadia of at least 40k all-seat capacity, with greater capacity required for semis and the final........will FIFA inject the millions of $$$$ to build/renovate the facilities required to stage the event (as they did in Germany, are doing in SA, and will do in Brazil??) for a country where growth will be minimal?? There's no doubt that the poms would relish upgrades or completely new stadia with FIFA money, and they have the case to deserve it with their premier competition being the best weekly showcase of the game in the world. Sydney (x 2), Melbourne (x 2), Brisbane, Adelaide (stadium required), Perth (stadium required), Newcastle (stadium/upgrade required), Townsville (stadium/upgrade required), Canberra (stadium/upgrade required), Gold Coast (stadium/upgrade required).

Then we have the issue of FIFA's requirement that pitches to host world cup matches are not used to be used for up to 4 weeks in the lead-up to the event (there goes the MCG and Olympic Stadium at the very least), and no other sporting competitions or leagues are to run in tandem with the WC. That could efectively require a 2 month halt to the AFL, NRL, and rugby competitions.

I cant believe im wasting my time posting on it.............and give it 6 months, the FFA and Federal govt will withdraw the bid after the audit and on comparing it to FIFA's guidelines of what's required to stage the event.

How is that bashing?

Give me one reason why the AFL should vacate the G for the soccer?

I'II give you many reasons you tool!
1. The World Cup is the most wateched sporting event in the world. The World!
2. Economically Australia will benefit (you idiot)
3. Look outside the tiny tiny world you live in, as Soccer is a beautiful game! Im sure you watched it 2 years ago and were all Australian and all then!
4. The G should definitely make a move as it will benefit them financially.
5. Your a bloody tool, with a small mind!

As Fredrick said, it will be held in Sydney.

Lowy will make it so.

state govts will bid on games you would think - at least for the final, 2 x semis, opening match, and of course the 3 socceroo matches.

by then, i wonder whether we'll have a hospital or other public infrastructure up here in NSW when the state govt cant even spend money on those facilities now.

1. If FIFA are hoping to develop the game even further in Aus they will need a World Cup in Australia while the going is good - Do you honestly think anyone in Europe or Sth America gives a stuff about Australian soccer? It's the #4 sport in this country and will struggle to get any higher, World Cup here or not.

2. South Africa, qualified for the World Cup only twice, yet are the hosts, and only have a population of 44 mill. - MASSIVE DIFFERENCE. The 2010 WC is as much for the continent of Africa (population 900,000,000) as it is for soccer in Sth Africa. Australia can hardly say a WC here will develop the game in Asia when Japan/Sth Korea hosted recently in 2002 and it would be more beneficial from a game development point of view to have a WC in China.

3. See my post on the previous page. It would only cost the AFL 3 weeks, by bringing the start of the season forward
- Still would inconvenience the AFL season. If i was advising the AFL, i would be asking for a truckload of cash for moving it.

The NRL would suffer more than AFL. IMO we'll use 10 stadiums:

1. ANZ Stadium
2. Sydney Football Stadium
3. MCG/Melb Rectangular Stadium
4. Suncorp Stadium
5. Skilled Park (Gold Coast)
6. EnergyAustralia Stadium (Newcastle)
7. StadiumWA
8. Adelaide Stadium (either rectangular or multi-purpose)
9. Dairy Farmers Stadium
10. Canberra Stadium

That would leave the AFL with Telstra Dome (and maybe MCG), SCG, Gabba, Carrara, Skilled Stadium, AAMI Stadium, WACA, Aurora Stadium. They don't suffer too badly. The NRL on the other hand lose the vast majority of their stadiums.

The AFL will cooperate though, because as has been said, it's political suicide to not cooperate!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't really matter by then AFL teams will be playing in Tassie, Gold coast, Darwin, Bonniedoon.. There will be plenty of ground to play on..

Soccer won't affect the AFL..

Though the AFL must be shitting bricks if the World cup comes to Australia..

Besides...our stadiums suck for soccer, the fans are too far away from the pitch.

The last two world cup finals have been played at stadiums which also hold athletics. For example, the distance from the centre of the ground to the fence is roughly the same at the MCG to what it is at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin.

MCG is 174x149 meters
Berlin Olympic Stadium is 189x116 Meters

I know that the MCG is 33 meters wider but Berlin's soccer ground is about 68 meters wide and is classified as a narrow ground, meaning a soccer ground at the MCG can be up to 90 meters wide which would reduce the distance to the fence.

Kennett and Costa have their say in the Herald Sun.

Kennett backs plan to support 2018 World Cup soccer bid

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23269203-11088,00.html

Sam Edmund and Dave Donaghy
February 25, 2008

HAWTHORN president Jeff Kennett says the AFL needs to bow to the "national interest" and support Australia's bid to host the 2018 soccer World Cup.
The former premier said Aussie rules would have to open up a five-week, mid-winter window for the world's biggest sporting event.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd yesterday gave the green light for Australia to lodge a World Cup bid.

If successful, it would put soccer on a collision course with the AFL and NRL.
Both leagues would have to be suspended or shifted from major stadiums for five weeks to make way for the tournament, which is held during the European soccer off-season in June-July.

Mr Kennett warned the AFL to expect major disruption.

"The AFL will have to understand that to win the World Cup is in the national interest, and the AFL would have to adjust," he said.

"I have no doubt the AFL would recognise this as an international event of significant importance and would do everything they could to co-operate."
Geelong president Frank Costa agreed.

"If we won the World Cup, every other sporting organisation in this country would have to do their best to accommodate it because that would be a super thing for Australia," Mr Costa said.

"Without having spoken to anybody, I would think it was such an important thing for Australia, for a five-week period the AFL would bend over backwards to relocate games."

AFL chief Andrew Demetriou did not want to comment on the World Cup bid until he knew more about what would be required of the league.

Melbourne and the MCG face the possibility of paying top dollar to host the World Cup final if the extravaganza comes Down Under.

It is understood Football Federation Australia will consider inviting bids from state governments to stage the final.

FFA would likely draw up a list of packages, each including tournament highlights.

The final will top one package, while Socceroos games, semi-finals and the opening game of the tournament could head the others.

State governments would then bid against each other for the packages they wanted.

The strategy would put major events rivals Victoria and NSW in direct competition for the ultimate sporting coup.

Mr Rudd said FFA bosses would meet with senior Australian government officials in the next week to start formalising the bid, which could cost more than $20 million.

"It's time for the soccer World Cup to come to Australia," Mr Rudd said.
FIFA will demand at least 10 stadiums, each with a minimum 40,000 seats.
Victorian Major Event Company chief executive Brendan McClements said the MCG was tailor-made for the final.

"It's a 100,000-capacity stadium which hosts blockbuster events on a regular basis and it's got strong claims to be considered as one of the favourites to host the final if we get to that point," he said.

Australia will compete with England, China and Russia to host the tournament. The winner will be announced in 2011.

As Fredrick said, it will be held in Sydney.

Lowy will make it so.
The AFL should insist that the MCG is used for the final or they wont be as cooperative as they could be. The FFA is asking a lot of the other codes its going to have to bend over backwards seeing as it is screwing around with the middle of their seasons.

FIFA would have ultimate say as to where the final was played, so it would come down I expect as to whether or not they like the layout of the MCG as otherwise its pretty much the best stadium for it.

Another problem with this bid is that I though the stadiums used had to be able to hold at least 40K (all seated, fifa dont allow standing only) which means barring major upgrades to stadiums like the new melbourne one, adelaide, newcastle etc we come well short of the amount required. Also due to distances being much bigger here FIFA would probably want 2 suitable stadia in each state to prevent any issues over unfair schedules.

The final would not be hosted at MCG.

Nobody outside of Australia has heard of Melbourne.
Sydney is really the only choice.
Well given that Sydney hosted the Olympics, Rugby World Cup Final and Melbourne only really has the Grand Prix in terms of a worldwide sporting event, Sydney would probably be the best choice.

And it doesnt matter that the MCG holds 100k and ANZ only holds 80k, the last couple of world cup finals have been held at stadiums that hold 60k-80k

I think Australia should mount a bid for the 2015 Asian Cup, and showing that we can hold a tournament like that, as well as the 2015 Cricket World Cup being here, that will help our chances of bidding for the 2022 and 2026 FIFA World Cups

The AFL season started early in 2000 because of the olympics so anything is possible, remember it is the MCC who has control of the MCG and not the AFL. It would awful for PR if the AFL tried to hinder it.

But the Olympics is different.... its only on every 4 years....:rolleyes:

85000 should be enough.

i read somewhere that they can put the end bits back on telstra stadium if needed to raise the capacity back up :confused:

anyone know if that's correct?

Telstra.jpg

i read somewhere that they can put the end bits back on telstra stadium if needed to raise the capacity back up :confused:

anyone know if that's correct?

Telstra.jpg

I'm pretty sure they added this when they built it especially for the Olympics, in order to have 100k+, but then afterwards, made it more permanent for League/AFL/Union/Soccer

But the Olympics is different.... its only on every 4 years....:rolleyes:
so is the World Cup

You know, back when they decided on a second team into WA, they let Fremantle and Joondalup bid for it.

One was bid was from a legitimate location, the other wasn't.

Too many people are getting starry-eyed about this. Kudos to those who have taken the time to think unemotively about it.

If anyone wants to get stuck into the whole soccer vs football thing, there's better threads to waste time on.

The AFL is tiny compared to the FIFA World Cup. IF Australia were to win the bid for the World Cupa and it is a big if then the MCC would be in contact with the FFA and the Federal Government in a second to try and get the right to host the final. The AFL and the NRL would simply have to make way. The Federal Government would try to sweeten the deal for both the NRL and the AFL by funding for upgrading training grounds and other facilities and other forms of compensation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the AFL cooperate with FFA for World Cup bid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back