Review Winners and losers 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Not true. North may very well not have matched, preferring say Caldwell/Clark/Jones. So no club was going to bid on Thomas unless they rate him at that pick. It’s more likely that they bid just for the sake of it now because everyone knows you will match anything. I agree with the other poster, nobody would have bid before 10.

Garbage.

Quite a few pundits have him in their top 10.

I mean he was talked about as the #1 pick in May.

Are we going to start down this route? If North take him <#10 it’s considered a reach?

Freo definitely the big winners. Going from a shit forward line to an A-grade forward line over the course of a day. ITK says clubs hate Peter Bell now, but time heals all wounds and he got good deals for his club.

Brisbane replaced an ageing, injury-prone star mid with a younger, durable star mid that wants to be there. They haven't always maximised value from top picks (see Mayes, Schache etc), so they should be rightfully pleased to get their man and not worry too much about the picks. A few late firsts will allow them to fill some needs, and Adams should be an anchor down back.
Hope Brisbane have better luck with Adams than the Dogs did He was made from glass with us always breaking down. Has talent remains to be seen if he can stay on the park

Not true. North may very well not have matched, preferring say Caldwell/Clark/Jones. So no club was going to bid on Thomas unless they rate him at that pick. It’s more likely that they bid just for the sake of it now because everyone knows you will match anything. I agree with the other poster, nobody would have bid before 10.
Buckanara ranked him as 7th best in the draft. Massive chance 1 club has him in the top 10 that has a pick before us. Glad we didn’t roll the dice.

Also we were taking him no matter what. We have started his development and he fits a big need of ours - fast, skilful and can kick goals.

Buckanara ranked him as 7th best in the draft. Massive chance 1 club has him in the top 10 that has a pick before us. Glad we didn’t roll the dice.

Also we were taking him no matter what. We have started his development and he fits a big need of ours - fast, skilful and can kick goals.

He’s not particularly fast

Wingards a fantastic pick up, the lad can play some amazing footy, 25 yrs of age, has had 2x 43 goal seasons, a 53 goal season is beautifully skilled, pretty quick and been AA x2.

He is the sort of player you can only hope to draft.
The query on Wingard is that he doesn't have any burning desire to be part of a premiership. Just happy to play some good games now and then to collect the coin and maintain AFL Lifestyle

The query on Wingard is that he doesn't have any burning desire to be part of a premiership. Just happy to play some good games now and then to collect the coin and maintain AFL Lifestyle
Amazing that posters believe they know what does and doesn’t drive a player.

Garbage.

Are we going to start down this route? If North take him <#10 it’s considered a reach?

Shaping up as a great offseason for the Kangas, you’ve already got decent value in your trades and you’ll finish it off by turning some mid/late draft picks into a first round prospect.

Worth noting with any scenario of you keeping that pick, that both the power and crows have picks picks either side of pick 11. There would be a real advantage for either team to force you to match with that pick.

Think you’ve played it really well. To move that pick where you could be certain a bid wouldn’t come, would have impacted your ability to match.

You’re going to walk away from the off-season with Polec and Thomas as premium additions, throw in Pittard, Hall, Tyson and Bailey Scott only losing a future 4th and Pruess, great result.
Only downside is matching with so many late picks, will see you picking multiple players with late/rookie picks.

I've never understood this Wingard is inconsistent groupthink.

He's not as good as he could be, sadly he's probably right in saying he needs a change in environment to get him hungry again (and it's a shame/concerning the club also sees it this way enough to supposedly initiate proceedings). But each week regardless of result he's good for 15-20 disposals and a couple of of goals. Surely that's the opposite of inconsistent.

If I was told we would be getting McGovern / Setterfield / Fasolo and Newman in while keeping our 1st this year ( No1 ) and next year I would be taking it and running!

Very happy.

Freo and the Hawks also did well but Burton is a huge loss and we will only know for sure this time next season as hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Burton may not be a big loss if scrimshaw can step up. Will be interesting to see who ends up having the better careers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love, love, love Burton and his potential is really high. I personally thought he wasn’t going to reach near his roof and I hope he has a good career at Port... without being too good. ;)

I feel Collingwood are big losers in that finalists that finished near to them in terms of wins, Richmond, Hawthorn and Melbourne strongly bolstered their list, whereas Thr Pies only bought in Jordan Roughead. Not convinced the Pies have enough 'organic' growth in their list to improve on their amazing 2018 season (i do hope poor Matty Scharaenberg gets a better run of luck with injuries, does look like a quality player when fit)

I think North Melbourne did very well, esp with Robert Scoff's son nominating them.
If LDU comes on as hoped and gets more games in the seniors next season, I think North can push for a 6th-8th spot in the finals. Feel like its been a pretty good list regeneration by North, hopefully they don't fall away in the 2nd half of the season like they have done in the past.

I feel Collingwood are big losers in that finalists that finished near to them in terms of wins, Richmond, Hawthorn and Melbourne strongly bolstered their list, whereas Thr Pies only bought in Jordan Roughead. Not convinced the Pies have enough 'organic' growth in their list to improve on their amazing 2018 season (i do hope poor Matty Scharaenberg gets a better run of luck with injuries, does look like a quality player when fit)

I think North Melbourne did very well, esp with Robert Scoff's son nominating them.
If LDU comes on as hoped and gets more games in the seniors next season, I think North can push for a 6th-8th spot in the finals. Feel like its been a pretty good list regeneration by North, hopefully they don't fall away in the 2nd half of the season like they have done in the past.
Beams? Not sure Hawthorn did that well, Scully and Scrimshaw could be massive busts yet, time will tell.

Is Conca really a bust either? 104 games so far to a reasonable standard and has been picked up as a free agent on an above average deal money wise which will take him over a decade in the AFL.

No is not a superstar and has been hampered by injury over the course of his career, but I reckon a bit of bigfooty / fan groupthink is at play if a solid enough player like that is considered an outright failure.

Well said. Cruelled by injury would be more accurate. As you said still managed to get 100 games up, fantastic and respected clubman (the whole team got over to him when he dislocated that ankle screaming in agony last year) and when he was snapped up by Freo to go home on a good deal, was holding down a spot in the midfield of the 17 premiers alongside two Brownlow medalists. From memory Richmond had a reasonable home and away run this year and Conca played a lot of midfield minutes in that team. He's a disciplined roleplayer and he will suit Freo to a T giving inside support to Fyfe. He played poorly in the prelim yes but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe that day.

About the worst thing you can say about Reece Conca is that he turns it over by foot occasionally. Has proven to be a durable and popular player who's been more than serviceble and gives it everything. One of Dimma's favourites. I've thrown a shoe at the telly because of some of his hair raising footy over the years but to categorise him as a bust or what's more, a failure is wrong. There's more than a few here would like 100 games as an AFL player. Me included!

Garbage.

I know I'm coming in a week late on this discussion but it has to be noted in support of this that list managers don't just get to the end of the season and decide that they are going to trade for x player. Thomas seems to have drifted a little in the last few months but at the time we started shopping our first pick to try and get De Goey and then later Polec we were looking good for finals and Thomas was looking to be more a 4-10 player... we were simply never holding on to our first pick at any stage of the year, except if Blakey nominated us.

Yeah you're not wrong pal....Dayne Beams isn't much of a player to bolster your list with.

Organic growth? That will continue with Sier, Stephenson, Phillips etc. Players coming back from injury will be a bonus. Adding Beams which you strangely forgot our growth will be fine.

Organic growth? That will continue with Sier, Stephenson, Phillips etc. Players coming back from injury will be a bonus. Adding Beams which you strangely forgot our growth will be fine.

Yeah i dropped the ball on Beams, that was a clanger. Still, i feel The Tigers, Hawks and Dees all addressed more glaring needs in the trade period than the Pies, although I also think Darcy Moore re-signing is a massive bonus. I suppose if Jamie Elliott can get over his chronic injuries and play at least 20 games (plus finals) that would almost be like a boom recruit for Collingwood.

Yeah i dropped the ball on Beams, that was a clanger. Still, i feel The Tigers, Hawks and Dees all addressed more glaring needs in the trade period than the Pies, although I also think Darcy Moore re-signing is a massive bonus. I suppose if Jamie Elliott can get over his chronic injuries and play at least 20 games (plus finals) that would almost be like a boom recruit for Collingwood.

Grundy has not yet reached his peak. Ruckman don’t until their late 20’s
Cox has not yet played 50 games & will continue to improve
Elliott played 0 games in 2018
Moore only played 4 full games in 2018
Treloar missed 9 games with injury
Beames didn’t play for us at all in 2018
Sier, Stephenson & Phillips are kids

But I think the biggest thing for us is belief. We know we can play - for most of 2018 we were hoping we were good.
Now we know it.

But I think the biggest thing for us is belief. We know we can play - for most of 2018 we were hoping we were good.
Now we know it.
Fair call.

Now we know it.
Honest question.
Who drops out in order to get these ins? And how well did they play in 2018? As you can't play 25 or 26 players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and losers 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back