Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked Adelaide's trade period. Held onto pick 4, brought in 3 x best 23 players. Rate Peatling a lot.

Fremantle did well by getting Bolton, great addition to their midfield.

Richmond timed their exodus well, lose quality but can aggressively kickstart a rebuild.

If Blues get a gun, fast mid then we've done very well too.

Not sure they will.

They've had 4 players retire and 4 traded out. That's 8 list slots available and they have...8 good picks..

I imagine they'll look at promoting a rookie or two, and maybe plan to leave a slot free for a pre season supplemental selection, but they also have a bunch of players they'll be looking to delist.

So while the final numbers are still flexible and I'm sure options are being examined, for now...8=8
Would be poor from a list mgt perspective to have 8 kids at once. Creates a bottleneck for contract management, development etc that’s why outside of the expansion draft you don’t see it.

This is WCE trade period in picture form.
55108a51f86d4fd4845b66b50982fffe.jpg

Would be poor from a list mgt perspective to have 8 kids at once. Creates a bottleneck for contract management, development etc that’s why outside of the expansion draft you don’t see it.

So what are you thinking they'll do?

They have 8 slots free (for reasons largely outside their control).

Do you think they'd be better off leaving them empty?

Maybe some DFAs?

Personally I think pick 24 in a good draft would probably turn out better than some guy that wasn't wanted by their club.

So what are you thinking they'll do?

They have 8 slots free (for reasons largely outside their control).

Do you think they'd be better off leaving them empty?

Maybe some DFAs?

Personally I think pick 24 in a good draft would probably turn out better than some guy that wasn't wanted by their club.
I’d say we’ll probably take 5-6 quality kids and turn 2-3 picks into first and 2nd rd picks next year. Depending on who is still available and what we are offered. Some clubs will offer us overs for those picks on the night.

I still can't believe the Tigers turned Tyrone Vickery into 2 first round picks.

I think that cancels out spending a first round pick on Tyrone Vickery in the first place.

* Special mention to the 2 irrelevant clubs in Essendon and St.Kilda who managed to come up with … you guessed it … nothing.
Carlton picked up pick 3, but at what cost?

Saints picked up a 3 time All Australian for a bag of chips and goes into the draft with 2 picks inside 8. Unlike some, they have also kept their full hand of picks for next year, including their 1st, that may still come into play this year. Some clubs sold the farm.

So Saints come out of the period with 3 round 1 picks to play with compared to some clubs who have only 1.

Strong hand yes. Irrelevant no.

Yes but it's probably being lost in the discussion about their haul the fact that they've lost a couple of retirees and lost 4 of their best players.

Look, they may bounce back quick. The AFL will hope they do. But there's also a risk that having 1/5th of your list as 18 year olds in their first year is pushing it a bit. These guys have to learn from other players, and won't necessarily benefit from playing before they're truly ready.
We won two games and finished last with those players who left.
We were going to be garbage next year anyway.

Richmond obviously the biggest winners… for now.

We saw what happened last time they had 5 top 30 picks in 2021 looks a disaster.

Draft poorly and they’ll be begging for priority picks for years.

Get it right and they’ll be back up in 6-7 years.
Have a look at that draft again.
It was horrendous after about pick 7 for everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not trying to start something but surely this about the 2020 draft not 21 i didnt think 2021 was that bad of a draft?
My bad.
I thought they were referring to the Tambling draft when we had five picks in the top 20 and only Deledio worked. That was horrible draft after the top half dozen or so.
Agree with him on the 2021 draft. We screwed it up badly.

I like what hawthorn did. Battle and Barrass shores up the backline and a fit Mitch Lewis makes them top 4.
Geelong did what Geelong does. Got a very good player for not much.
Crows did well. None of those players will be stars but they will play roles and make them better.
Not sure about north. Getting those players in will make them better, but by how much? They might go from 3 wins to 6. Time will tell.
Carlton getting pick 3 was a master stroke.
I love Houston as a player, but not sure he makes the pies significantly better and have an ageing list. I may be absolutely wrong on this and they bounce back quickly. I like perryman as a player (just don’t pay him till you get to the other side).
I think the suns did well. They don’t need picks. They need ready made talent and will get Lombard who is a beast and have picks for next year’s academy.
Bolton will make freo a scary proposition next year.
I admire Essendon (never thought I’d ever say that) for their stance on Stringer.

Last edited:

Saints picked up a 3 time All Australian for a bag of chips and goes into the draft with 2 picks inside 8. Unlike some, they have also kept their full hand of picks for next year, including their 1st, that may still come into play this year. Some clubs sold the farm.

So Saints come out of the period with 3 round 1 picks to play with compared to some clubs who have only 1.

Who replaces Battle …

Bloody annoying pests … Absolutely

IMG_2569.jpeg

Last edited:
It reminds me a bit of the 2004 draft. There were plenty of guns in that draft, and Richmond had pick 1, pick 4 and 5 picks in the top 20.

They ended up drafting Brett Deledio, Richard Tambling, Danny Meyer, Adam Pattinson and Dean Polo. Meanwhile the Hawks got Franklin, Roughead and Lewis.

All these picks mean nothing if you whiff the selections or don't have enough senior experience to develop the kids. High risk and high reward but the only guarantee is at least 1 more wooden spoon and years of on-field misery. It's a pyrrhic victory at the absolute best. B+
Again, take a look at that draft again in its entirety. One of the worst ever for talent.
We screwed up with Tambling, but that was the worse draft possible to invest in.
This year seems different.

I like what hawthorn did. Battle and Barrass shores up the backline and a fit Mitch Lewis makes them top 4.
Geelong did what Geelong does. Got a very good player for not much.
Crows did well. None of those players will be stars but they will play roles and make them better.
Not sure about north. Getting those players in will make them better, but by how much? They might go from 3 wins to 6. Time will tell.
Carlton getting pick 3 was a master stroke.
I love Houston as a player, but not sure he makes the pies significantly better and have an ageing list. I may be absolutely wrong on this and they bounce back quickly. I like perryman as a player (just don’t pay him till you get to the other side).
I think the suns did well. They don’t need picks. They need ready made talent and will get Lombard who is a beast and have picks for next year’s academy.
Bolton will make freo a scary proposition next year.
I admire Essendon (never thought I’d ever say that) for their stance on Stringer.

Just on Houston and the aging list, he essentially replaces Noble who's older than him, albeit only 2 months.

Just on Houston and the aging list, he essentially replaces Noble who's older than him, albeit only 2 months.
He’s a gun. Pies could really get back into contention again.

There seems to be an idea around that you have to improve through trading players in. The draft is also a great mechanism, we'll keep using it.

Mind you the one guy we traded in could legitimately be better than any other traded player next year.

I’d say we’ll probably take 5-6 quality kids and turn 2-3 picks into first and 2nd rd picks next year. Depending on who is still available and what we are offered. Some clubs will offer us overs for those picks on the night.
Yeah max 5 probably 1,6,10 trade 11 for f1 and maybe f2, take 18 and 23, trade 20 for an f1 and 24 for f2/3.
5 First rounders this year
3 f1s 3f2s next year to take another 4-5 kids and trade more into 2026 to do similar and that’s the rebuild done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back