Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

McStay only needs to remain fit and he will be good for 40+ goals.
Mihocek another 45+ and who knows what they get from Kreuger, McInnes or Johnson.

It's their back-line which is the concern. They needed to bring in another key defender.
McStay has never kicked more than 28 in a season. Next year will be his 12th season

Shout-out to Hawthorn and Adelaide, too, fwiw.
Adelaide got in some handy players who are ready to go for a pretty modest outlay. Flew under my radar at least.
Hawthorn targeted some defensive help and got two blokes who are ready to go.

Adelaide SUPER underrated trade period.

Add 3 mature aged, best 22 players in Neal-Bullen, Cumming and Peatling and go into draft night with a top 5 pick.

Nicks finally getting games into players such as Dowling and Taylor (who both looked up to it) means they'll head into 2025 with more depth than they've enjoyed in a long time.

If Thrillthorpe and Fogarty can stay fit all season, as well as Murray, Butts and the tall defensive end, then they should be looking at 10 wins minimum next year.

McStay only needs to remain fit and he will be good for 40+ goals.
Mihocek another 45+ and who knows what they get from Kreuger, McInnes or Johnson.

It's their back-line which is the concern. They needed to bring in another key defender.
They’re not getting anything out of Kreuger seeing they’ve just delisted him

Going to have a quick crack at ranking the trade periods. I'm not just looking at number of points in or out but how I think clubs gave themselves the best chance to improve. So if they're rated low I think they made changes that hurt them, if they're in the middle they probably did very little or just minimised damage and the teams at the top I think made moves to change the trajectory of their success positively.

1. Adelaide - three running players to round their side out, ANB and Peatling I expect to have really positive impacts.
2. Collingwood - secured the best player in the trade period. Perryman as a FA also a good get.
3. Fremantle - secured the second best player in the trade period. Spurned picks for a shot at a flag.
4. Hawthorn - I think Barass in plus battle is possibly over-egging the omelette but if it works like the Hawks intend they'll be in a prelim next year.
5. Geelong - got a potential match winner relatively cheaply. Smith at his best will pair with Holmes very nicely.
6. Richmond - outstanding haul of picks. Dropped because I think they'll miss the players that got them very dearly.
7. Carlton - rare for a finals side to get a top 3 pick. We've seen what players like Daicos and Ashcroft can do early in a good side and the Blues have given themselves a chance to add a player of that sort of quality.
8. Brisbane - they've got all the points they need for L. Ashcroft and Marshall. Won a flag and won't miss Sharp.
9. Gold Coast - Rioli a good addition but you won't expect much from Noble and Himmelberg. Spent a king's ransom of picks for not much.
10. Melbourne - lost ANB but brought in a second top ten pick. 5 & 9 is not a bad place to start rebuilding.
11. Sydney - they'll miss Parker and brought in no one.
12. Essendon - trading out<trading up. Kako will be a good fit but Essendon really need another go at multiple top 10 talents.
13. Western Bulldogs - got their depth raided just before they'd hope to be having another crack at a flag.
14. North Melbourne - overspent on ageing players. Parker a good get but I don't rate Darling or Daniel helping on field.
15. St Kilda - Battle out kills them and Macrae in doesn't do enough.
16. West Coast - trade out of the top 3, again. They're doing a rebuild on Nightmare Mode.
17. Port Adelaide - Davies promised the world and delivered an atlas.
18. GWS - lucky Caruso is about at the top of the drafting game because they had their depth annihilated. I don't rate the Stringer addition considering they have a glut of small and tall forwards demanding games.

The Stringer trade is an iffy one. On the one side, 40 plus goals a year. On the other, an overweight, slow, inconsistent, unreliable bloke coming into a team that needs to upgrade its standards and player demands to contend.

Is Jake the bloke to contribute to / drive standards? I think no.

Adelaide SUPER underrated trade period.

Add 3 mature aged, best 22 players in Neal-Bullen, Cumming and Peatling and go into draft night with a top 5 pick.

Nicks finally getting games into players such as Dowling and Taylor (who both looked up to it) means they'll head into 2025 with more depth than they've enjoyed in a long time.

If Thrillthorpe and Fogarty can stay fit all season, as well as Murray, Butts and the tall defensive end, then they should be looking at 10 wins minimum next year.
Yep anything else and Nicks is gone. I'd actually say if he doesn't make finals he's gone.

Rankine also missed a stack of footy and if he can put a whole season together should be All Australian level midfielder we haven't had since 2017.

Richmond are the clear winners. They got maximum (if not more) trade value for those senior players who didn't want to stay. They got 8 picks in the top 24 and with this draft being so even I can't see them botching those picks.

He’s a gun. Pies could really get back into contention again.
He is a gun but I'm not sure if Collingwood need another HBF, and they picked up 2. If they had done what Hawthorn had managed and picked up Battle and Barrass then they would have knocked it out of the park. Instead they are paying about $1.8m per year for 2 HBF and haven't covered the holes that were obvious this year.

Richmond are the clear winners. They got maximum (if not more) trade value for those senior players who didn't want to stay. They got 8 picks in the top 24 and with this draft being so even I can't see them botching those picks.
Even if we **** up half of the picks then that would still be 4 top players to start the rebuild.

He is a gun but I'm not sure if Collingwood need another HBF, and they picked up 2. If they had done what Hawthorn had managed and picked up Battle and Barrass then they would have knocked it out of the park. Instead they are paying about $1.8m per year for 2 HBF and haven't covered the holes that were obvious this year.

I agree.

LOL,so many hoping we stuff our draft pick selections.
Salty Geelol fans.
Media are playing the same game bringing up old tired Tambling,Polo examples.
We are not that club anymore.
Whatever we do we are negatised.
Any other team would be praised to the hilt with that draft coupe but oh no,not Richmond,the most polarising club in the league.
Get in line mate. We only know we are relevant when supporters hate us and the media is critical. Ahhh nice to be back!😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winners. Brisbane and it's not even close.

Turned pick 20 into pick 1 using a couple of scraps and a reach-around.

Losers. Anyone who didn't win the genetics lotto this year.

💯

The past 2 premierships have been won by sides with a mature list who gained a #1 type player under F-S…the Lions have now done this for a second year in a row…hard to think they won’t be right up there next season despite the Daniher loss

Do they have another academy kid next year?

Not that there were a heap of KPF options on the market but we didn't even hear any BS rumours about them asking haha Could have done something with Dev Robertson & Future picks?

Again though, they just won the flag and they have a quick fix in mind so power to them. Just thought we would hear something along the way.

Yes…Annable

Going to have a quick crack at ranking the trade periods. I'm not just looking at number of points in or out but how I think clubs gave themselves the best chance to improve. So if they're rated low I think they made changes that hurt them, if they're in the middle they probably did very little or just minimised damage and the teams at the top I think made moves to change the trajectory of their success positively.

1. Adelaide - three running players to round their side out, ANB and Peatling I expect to have really positive impacts.
2. Collingwood - secured the best player in the trade period. Perryman as a FA also a good get.
3. Fremantle - secured the second best player in the trade period. Spurned picks for a shot at a flag.
4. Hawthorn - I think Barass in plus battle is possibly over-egging the omelette but if it works like the Hawks intend they'll be in a prelim next year.
5. Geelong - got a potential match winner relatively cheaply. Smith at his best will pair with Holmes very nicely.
6. Richmond - outstanding haul of picks. Dropped because I think they'll miss the players that got them very dearly.
7. Carlton - rare for a finals side to get a top 3 pick. We've seen what players like Daicos and Ashcroft can do early in a good side and the Blues have given themselves a chance to add a player of that sort of quality.
8. Brisbane - they've got all the points they need for L. Ashcroft and Marshall. Won a flag and won't miss Sharp.
9. Gold Coast - Rioli a good addition but you won't expect much from Noble and Himmelberg. Spent a king's ransom of picks for not much.
10. Melbourne - lost ANB but brought in a second top ten pick. 5 & 9 is not a bad place to start rebuilding.
12. Essendon - trading out<trading up. Kako will be a good fit but Essendon really need another go at multiple top 10 talents.
13. Western Bulldogs - got their depth raided just before they'd hope to be having another crack at a flag.
14. North Melbourne - overspent on ageing players. Parker a good get but I don't rate Darling or Daniel helping on field.
16. West Coast - trade out of the top 3, again. They're doing a rebuild on Nightmare Mode.
18. GWS - lucky Caruso is about at the top of the drafting game because they had their depth annihilated. I don't rate the Stringer addition considering they have a glut of small and tall forwards demanding games.

Brisbane traded pick 20 for a potential no. pick and that’s 8th best? Ok…that might be one to watch in 2025

I reckon Perryman be more of a Inside/Defensive Mid

12. Essendon - trading out13. Western Bulldogs - got their depth raided just before they'd hope to be having another crack at a flag.
I think you are wrong on Daniel he's a lovely little player.

He 28 and a good player that week help a young side

Sent from my SM-A156E using Tapatalk

Oh yeah… What else is new? :rolleyes:

Every single year since 2016, the brain scientists on Big Footy have been saying “the Hawks will finish in the bottom 4 next year”

Interesting to note we’ve finished in the bottom 4 only twice in the past decade

2020: 5 wins, 12 losses

The Covid season when the AFL absolutely stitched us up with the WORST fixture EVER (constantly playing teams who had 5 or 6 more days of rest than us)

Forced to pull up stumps and enter a new ‘hub’ every 3 weeks (unlike poor Richmond who set up in their 5-star training camp 100m from Metricon for the entire season)

When Clarko complained about it, he was told by everyone in the AFL media to STFU and stop being a whinger 🤣

We were 3 wins, 1 loss before Gill re-did the made-for-TV fixtures with hubs and all that…

2023: finished 16th with 7 wins, 16 losses

Sam Mitchell basically expedited the rebuild by trading Tom Mitchell and Jaeger O’Meara (fast-tracking the development of guys like Day, Newcombe, Worpel, Ward, Mackenzie, etc)

He didn’t worry too much about defensive structures, but encouraged every player to attack with full speed through the middle “corridor” of the ground.

This provided some exciting high-scoring games. Naturally, we got burned whenever we (inevitably) turned the ball over. We copped a number of beltings as a result. But progress was made…

Things were corrected for the 2024 season. Tightened up, I mean… Our defensive setups were so successful, Champion Data rated the Hawks as the number 1 defensive team despite our lack of quality key defenders.

This trade period had been a pretty good one for the Hawks - we’ve improved our list for 2025 by adding a pair of good defenders.

Sam Frost getting injured and not playing in our Semi Final loss to Port proved to be very costly. We now have multiple options down back.

We’ll also be able to free up Sicily and Weddle to play more attacking roles. What a luxury that will be!!!!

Not sure what games you were watching mate, but the Hawks were putting opposition teams to sword by the end of the season. We also pantsed the highly-vaunted Bulldogs in our MCG Elimination Final

It’s easy to say “Hawks could easily finish bottom four”… except you have the same credibility as saying “Geelong could easily finish bottom four”… it makes zero sense.

We didn’t finish in the Top 8 because we had an “easy draw”…. Except for the top 3 teams, the Hawks beat every other team they came up against.

How many wins do the Hawks need before oppo fans concede it was no fluke?

I also doubt any kids from the 2024 draft are going to have much of a say in who makes the top 8 in 2025. Harley Reid was probably the most AFL-ready young gun ever and he didn’t exactly make a huge difference to West Coast’s W/L column. Hawks trading out of the 2024 draft might have some negative long-term effects, but you won’t see it next year…
The list and age profile is quite balanced now and we have quite a bit of young talent that we have drafted the past 3-4 years, 1 year of not drafting top tier talent isn't the end of the world. We got Jai Newcombe from the MSD and he is a star. Were doing very well getting talent through the door by other means ATM and no doubt Mitchell thinks that's the path we will go down from here on. It was his plan all along to start trading for gaps in the side once he felt the base of a contending team was there. We have an NGA prospect we will bid on in the draft called Cody Anderson who is a midfield bull for the Ranges at pick 33. Already looks pretty promising played at VFL level already. He could potentially play next year. No Hawks supporter is concerned about no 1st round pick this year as they see where the list is at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back