Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody? - Part 2 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Think he was wanting a person cancelled for cancelling someone else due to nationality/religion. He wasnt asking for them to be cancelled simply because they had pro palestine views.
Still immediate cancellation for the anti cancel culture warriors when it doesn't align with their views. The employee was given training, including a visit to the Holocaust museum. Isn't trying to broaden someone's knowledge and nuance more valuable than sacking them for the dopamine rush? It was a borderline call because the employee didn't make racist comments about Jewish people, they made the point of differentiating between Jewish people and Israeli policy. Stupid but not racist, so training was probably the right response. If they had said Jews can go jump, the outcome would be different.

She works at Officeworks. Laminate whatever you given and stfu. It’s not for you to police and push your personal beliefs especially in Elsternwick a heavily Jewish suburb of Melbourne...
Agree with this view (assuming its not illegal). I.e. strongly conservative people working at officeworks should also have to laminate posters of wedding cakes supporting gay marriage regardless of what they think.

Fwiw I would have probably just laminated it too , but I don't reckon she would have refused to laminate a happy hanika photo if you're thinking she was discriminating their Judaism
Her employer sent her for training because she wasn't following their policy. She was deciding who to serve based on her own morality.

If the shoe was on the other foot, progressives would kick up a stink.

Agree with this view (assuming its not illegal). I.e. strongly conservative people working at officeworks should also have to laminate posters of wedding cakes supporting gay marriage regardless of what they think.
You realise there are lots of conservative gays and also conservatives who have no problems with gay people - only progressives put whole groups together based on (part of) their identity.

Fwiw I would have probably just laminated it too , but I don't reckon she would have refused to laminate a happy hanika photo if you're thinking she was discriminating their Judaism
I've posted the article she refused to laminate. If she actually read the article, it's hard to argue that she wasn't just blatantly discriminating.

It's a pretty crude way of putting it but it's essentially what's expected of you in a Customer Service role.

Service the customer in the best interests of the business, not yourself!
It's still rather shithouse.

What a long way we've come, from being expected to embody and take pride in our jobs and ourselves; to find identity through work. Used to be an elitist thing, 'Cobbler, mind your shoes!'

Used to be something you didn't do or say in Australia. Used to be that it'd not pass the pub test; a sign of your mate getting uppity, forgetting that he was just as working class as you are. Just because you went to uni and are no longer down the bottom doesn't mean your shit don't stink.

I'm going to put it this way. That post, that inclination: it's unAustralian.

It's still rather shithouse.

What a long way we've come, from being expected to embody and take pride in our jobs and ourselves; to find identity through work. Used to be an elitist thing, 'Cobbler, mind your shoes!'

Used to be something you didn't do or say in Australia. Used to be that it'd not pass the pub test; a sign of your mate getting uppity, forgetting that he was just as working class as you are. Just because you went to uni and are no longer down the bottom doesn't mean your shit don't stink.

I'm going to put it this way. That post, that inclination: it's unAustralian.

What's also very Austrayan is having respect for others which includes your employer. Well, that used to be the case anyway

In terms of things that are un Australian, there's nothing more unAustralian than charging for tomato sauce!

What's also very Austrayan is having respect for others which includes your employer.
... I don't know that I agree. Taking a sickie and lying to your boss about it (only to get caught on TV going to the footy or the cricket) is peak Australiana; there's plenty of dislike for employers within the Australian character.
In terms of things that are un Australian, there's nothing more unAustralian than charging for tomato sauce!
Yep.

What makes you think the customer was looking for an altercation?
Yeh cause requesting to have a copy of a jewish newspaper laminated at OfficeWorks is a totally normal request..... :rolleyes:

Much like the guy that got into an altercation trying to walk through a palestinian demonstration at 4am was "just going for a walk at 4am".

For the record, I think the staff member was wrong in this instance. But to pretend that the customer wasn't trying to set up a confrontation with the whole situation is very naive and disingenuous. You can tell by how quickly they were willing to start filming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh cause requesting to have a copy of a jewish newspaper laminated at OfficeWorks is a totally normal request..... :rolleyes:

Much like the guy that got into an altercation trying to walk through a palestinian demonstration at 4am was "just going for a walk at 4am".

For the record, I think the staff member was wrong in this instance. But to pretend that the customer wasn't trying to set up a confrontation with the whole situation is very naive and disingenuous. You can tell by how quickly they were willing to start filming.

Your assumptions are wrong.

If the customer was trying to be inflammatory, it was a terrible choice of article.

The customer was personally involved with the article and wanted a laminated copy as a keepsake. Someone said no because it was a Jewish article and the picture had an Israeli flag in it. That's the whole story.

LOL You think the man was trying to set up a confrontation? Seriously

Think he was wanting a person cancelled for cancelling someone else due to nationality/religion. He wasnt asking for them to be cancelled simply because they had pro palestine views.
How is refusal to process an order "cancelling".

Idiot could have bought a laminating machine and done it himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody? - Part 2 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Back