Words you dislike

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO
Anyone with half a brain can tell that you are giving an opinion, you don't need to type it.

I don't mind it - I think it's usually used as an indicator of humility - kind of "I recognise my opinion isn't the be all and end all and others may disagree".

It's not so much the writer is telling you it's an opinion, more that they themselves recognise it's just an opinion.

As opposed to the quickstraw types - I know everything, I'm right, I can't possibly be wrong, if you don't agree with me you're just wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It can't be true. Viv Richards used the word "batter" during his T20 commentary stint last night. Perhaps the great man was intoxicated by Damien Fleming's aftershave. There has to be some logical reason for this abhorrence.

at what point did the word batter become such a strongly used word in cricketing commentary?

i've only noticed it in the last 12 months but it would be more used now than the correct term "batsman"

at what point did the word batter become such a strongly used word in cricketing commentary?

i've only noticed it in the last 12 months but it would be more used now than the correct term "batsman"

I think it's meant as a neutral term to cover both "batsmen" and "batswomen". Read or heard somewhere that Cricket Australia have been encouraging the Australian players etc. to use it. Personally I don't like it and wouldn't use it though.

One that annoys me for some reason is "ripping" when it is used as an adjective (as in "that was a ripping match").

I think it's meant as a neutral term to cover both "batsmen" and "batswomen". Read or heard somewhere that Cricket Australia have been encouraging the Australian players etc. to use it. Personally I don't like it and wouldn't use it though.

ffs i had a feeling that might be it :rolleyes:

we could always just have batsman and a batswoman

Remove this Banner Ad

Words you dislike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back