Society/Culture Working from home vs forced back to the office

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a few reasons.

D'you recall me asking you whether your position on things was predicated on your desire to oppose? This is more evidence. You don't really have things you advocate for, merely things you advocate against. Your position is predicated on opposition.

The other thing that really stands out is that you really aren't all that far from the left as you would like. You oppose an awful lot I would likewise oppose in most cases. This is interesting on several levels alone; you're so close to the 'right' answers, from my perspective.

You see the problems, but aren't at solutions yet.

There's a few reasons.

D'you recall me asking you whether your position on things was predicated on your desire to oppose? This is more evidence. You don't really have things you advocate for, merely things you advocate against. Your position is predicated on opposition.

The other thing that really stands out is that you really aren't all that far from the left as you would like. You oppose an awful lot I would likewise oppose in most cases. This is interesting on several levels alone; you're so close to the 'right' answers, from my perspective.

You see the problems, but aren't at solutions yet.
Says more about you tbh. I'm (and the people you usually argue with on here) capable of leaning left (taxing companies/incredible wealth
properly and healthcare especially) AND right (immigration, pronoun nonsense, and DEI quotas for example). Whereas you take a topic, find the most left leaning position possible, and there's your answer. You think you're intellectual but thats really all you do.

On topic to thread, I advocate for WFH/flexibility as we've proven it works. **** inept management trying to take it away because they're poor managers. I just hope the staff affected value themselves enough to walk away from evidently shitty workplaces if thats what they value

Managers are just paying lip service too. It’s property interests who want their gravy train back

Just bear in mind they also seem to want the current peak hourtransport congestion to be at least 20% worse. Probably 40%

Maybe when metro comes online

We've lost a couple of employees to our very lenient policies. We have 4 working at home full time (in rural areas) and most other employees are afforded 1 or 2 days at home dependent on individual cases. I do 3 in the office and 2 at home and I feel that is a good split.

One employee left because she wanted to work at home full time during the school holidays (12 weeks a year) to look after her kids. We drew a line in the sand at that point. How much work can you really achieve if you're 'looking after' 3 kids under 12?

One employee left because she wanted to work at home full time during the school holidays (12 weeks a year) to look after her kids. We drew a line in the sand at that point. How much work can you really achieve if you're 'looking after' 3 kids under 12?
It doesn't matter. Measure her output and if it drops then talk to them about revoking the privilege. You don't really know what their kids are like together, and they may be able to easily structure their day around being there when needed (such as meetings) and work back whatever time they lose to parenting.

If they weren't a great fit then you haven't lost much. But if they were, then its worth putting in the effort as a manager. Focus on output, not the clock.

The only person on my team I let go* for WFH was someone who wanted to move and then work from India. They weren't that great; otherwise I would have done my best to try and make the time difference work.

*I recommended to the directors they don't allow it, I don't want to pretend I am directly responsible for hiring and firing. I'm just a department lead.

We're moving office to a building where there's only space for 60% of the staff. So sounds like some form of work from home is here to stay for me. Either that or we're going to get restructured out of existence.

Curious if people get an allowance from their work to WFH?

We had one during Covid but it was removed and the union want it back.

Personally I’m of the opinion that WFH is a choice and why should people get more money for it?

I claim it on my tax and that’s enough for me.

I work in a very highly unionised industry, with a fair whack of wfh and none of us get an allowance, nor is our union asking for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hot desking in open is passé apparently

People want either the uninterrupted space like at home or complete collaboration in open and social meetings, depending on their needs.

We still have to faf around in meeting rooms to set up these meetings where people aren’t co located

Let’s get AI to manage these rooms just walk into one and say to the bot. ‘We need video wall with xxxx at yyyyy set it up for 15 minutes time’

Conference stuff is still as clunky a 10 years ago

Hot desking in open is passé apparently

People want either the uninterrupted space like at home or complete collaboration in open and social meetings, depending on their needs.

We still have to faf around in meeting rooms to set up these meetings where people aren’t co located

Let’s get AI to manage these rooms just walk into one and say to the bot. ‘We need video wall with xxxx at yyyyy set it up for 15 minutes time’

Conference stuff is still as clunky a 10 years ago
Hot Desking, when done to save a dollar, works fine for 80% of employees and is stressful as f- for the other 20% who happen to turn up later. At least 10% would have been better off it they had stayed at home.

Managers are still learning how to deal with WFH. I'm more worried about those working in the office who wish more people came in, that those WFH who others wish were in the office more often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Working from home vs forced back to the office

Remove this Banner Ad

Back