World Cup: AUSTRALIA vs Italy

Remove this Banner Ad

Stiffy_18 said:
You have got to be kidding me :confused:

He has been the least impressive player in the world cup and he server nothing but rubbish down that right side. I can't remember the last time he actually played a good game.

He will not be a loss. In fact, I reckon it will be a plus. Its doubtful whether anyone can suck as much as Emerton has for a while now.

I didnt know Kalac was more impressive ;)

I thought his game against Brazil was good and I do remember a fair few people were actually suprised from the comments I read on the internet and media, but yes he hasnt had many. I dont think our squad though has much depth, we arent lucky like the superpowers. Who do you suggest that could do the job. If we had a better player wouldnt Hiddink have allready used him.

Rocco Jones said:
Being reasonable has no place when discussing soccer and ethnic australians. The Greek Australians that wore scarves featuring both nations looked pretty evil and anti-Australia to me.

Didn't you see all those Greek-Australians beating themselves up, hitting themselves in the head with sticks? I was appalled when I saw a young Croatian-Australian lad laying into himself ... was tough to tell who was winning the fight.

weagles_fan said:
Nesta wont be playing
Which is good for Australia, his replacement in the last game Materazzi scored. Overall he is no where as good as Nesta.
Anything is likely to happen with Materazzi. He scored already so thats out of his system. Has a reputation of being a rough player.
He is either likely to stuff up big time or get sent off. Scored a cracker of an own goal not that long ago for his club side when under no pressure chipped his own keeper from almost half way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grechy said:
For all those in Melbourne. If Australia beat Italy. I'm kind of guessing that those from Fed Square will decide to go to Lygon St and therefore it may = ugly.

I think you will find it will be the exact opposite. If Australia win... they will continue celebrating at Fed Square and the Italians will come down from Lygon St looking for trouble. If Italy win the Italians will celebrate on Lygon St and the skips will party at Fed Square for the almighty effort Australia has put in to get to the round of 16.

I dont think it will be the Aussies causing trouble; at least, those supporting Australia.

Weaver said:
I suppose that is the key to any game, but we can't keep creating 15 chances to just get the 1 or 2 goals.

That is the difference between the good and excellent teams. It is not that Brazil get 90% possesion, create 100 chances, and never let the opposition within 60m of their own goal. It is that Brazil converts chances to goals.

Ronaldo maybe lumbering around like a 40 year German on a Tahitian beach, but he puts his chances away.

The Italians live and die every week in a league where blokes might only see four chances a month and they better bloody well score most of them.

We can't keep throwing the kitchen sink at sides and hoping one eventually falls in.

Absolutely spot on. It's been the thing which has worried me most; we dont take advantage of our chances. Not enough of them anyways. Weve had more shots on goal than our competitor in all our games, yet weve just crawled over the line into the 16. We need to take our chances.... well, we need to convert them.

Coughlan said:
Here's a little of what to expect from Italy
click here

As long as a Mr H Kewell is our side we shouldn't be too smug. He is quite talented in the fine art of foul anticipation.

I liked the line in The Fiver email. If the Italians are going to dive about and hit the deck anyway ... might as well give them something to worry about. :D

Forget who said it - but I reckon Skoko will come in and Culina will play at right back . Im more intrigued by the Italian side who went quite defensive against the Czechs (with Perotta playing and Toni missing out)

Id like to see

-----Schwarzer--------
Culina Neil Moore Chippa
---Skoko-----Grella----
Cahill ---Bresh--Kewell
-------Viduka---------

Italy id say like this

----------------Buffon-------------
Zambrotta Canavarro Materazzi Grosso

-------Pirlo------------Gattuso------
Camorenasi--------------------Totti

-------------Gilardino-- Toni----------

Rocco Jones said:
Being reasonable has no place when discussing soccer and ethnic australians. The Greek Australians that wore scarves featuring both nations looked pretty evil and anti-Australia to me. How about all those crazy Croats and their "we love both nations, while we are a bit disappointed for Croatia we really hope the Socceroos can go on to win from here" ways. Absolute monsters mate. Why don't they just go back home to that Yugoslavia!

BTW Grechy I missed Today Tonight's feature piece on whats wrong with Australia (the commerical had dudes with different coloured skin, typical different people!), if you taped it can you please send me a copy?

No sorry I didn't but it's great that this was the case. I was only making a presumption.

Just a little preview:

Italy
Played 3
Won 2
Drawn 1
Scored 5
Conceded 1

Australia
Played 3
Won 1
Drawn 1
Lost 1

Italy's Goals Scored

- Pirlo receives a short corner pass from Totti and shoots from outside the penalty box. The ball travels through the crowded area and sneaks into the far post.
- Iaquinta receives a long ball and takes advantage of a Ghana mistake as he intercepts the defender pass, rounds the goalkeeper and taps it into an empty net.
- Gilardino headers in a free kick from Pirlo against the United States.
- Materazzi headers in a corner kick from Totti against the Czech Republic.
- Inzaghi beats the offside trap and receives a long, counter-attacking pass from Perrotta. Inzaghi rounds the keeper and scores into an empty net.

Italy's Goals Conceded

- Zaccardo attempts to clear a corner by foot but mistimes the kick and accidentally puts the ball into the net.

Australia's Goals Scored

- Cahill hammers in a penalty box scramble after a long throw in from Neill in the dying minutes versus Japan.
- Cahill receives the ball just outside the penalty box, and with a bit of time and space, smashes a left foot shot into the back of the net.
- Aloisi gets passed a Japanese defender and slides a lovely shot home in injury time.
- Moore scores a penalty after a Croatian player handballed the ball in the area.
- Kewell receives a long ball from Bresciano just outside the six yard box, controls it brilliantly in heavy traffic and scores with his right boot.

Australia's Goals Conceded

- Schwarzer attempts to catch a high cross in the box but is bumped by a Japanese opponent and the ball sails into the net. Schwarzer was illegally bumped but could've shown better physical resistance.
- Ronaldo fends off three Australian defenders, before passing to Adriano who is one on one with a defender just outside the box. Adriano's left foot strike beats Schwarzer on the inside post.
- Brazilian player breaks through the defence, beats Schwarzer on the inside post but the ball deflects into the centre of the box where Fred easily taps it in.
- Croatia score from a free kick, directly outside the penalty box. The ball sails into the top left and is too good for Kalac.
- A Croatian players shoots a low ball at Kalac, who makes a meal out of the save and allows the ball to stumble over his body and into the net.

Style of play

Italy seem to be dangerous on set pieces and counter-attacks, whereas Australia are pretty solid when they have the ball in a central position near or in the penalty box.

Italy have been very tough to break down in defence. The only goal they conceded was a freakish own goal by Zaccardo off a corner kick, other than that Buffon and Cannavaro haven't looked like conceded a goal. In general play, Italy has seemed a bit slow with their pace and also their passing, but have still managed to consistantly find the net through strikers Inzaghi, Gilardino and Iaquinta, midfielder Pirlo and defender Materazzi.

Australia has been very physical (fairly of course) and very active around the whole ground. They have created many chances and like to use Viduka up front with the midfielders running off him. Kennedy's height and Aloisi's goal sense have been dangerous for Australia when those two are released off the bench. Australia has been a bit leaky down back, conceding 5 goals and trailing in every match.

Remove this Banner Ad

World Cup: AUSTRALIA vs Italy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back