Worst act in football

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Leigh Matthews on Bruns. Matthews always was a protected species. Great player but also a thug who should never have been made an AFL legend in 1996. Let's hope the AFL gets it right in future with his protege Jonathan Brown and gives him at least 6 months next time he loses it.

2. Lockett on Caven. Another protected species. If the Swans had any principles they should never have recruited him after what he did to Caven.

3. Grinter on Wallace. Coward.

4. Phil Carmen giving the nod to umpire. Chronic white-line fever sufferer.

Agree with Southern Tiger re John Burke(Collingwood Reserves). Suspected 'roids rage?

Christmas hold/squirrel grip merchants Terry Wheeler and Tony Liberatore, serial "nut" cases.

Crowked said:
How about the time when Lockett nearly killed Peter Caven.

Then in the SANFL there was the infamous day that Port's David Granger went bunta, trying to kill everyone. King hit Cornes and if my memory is right he broke a guys leg by kicking him.

Neil "Twiggy" Caldwell

rampantswan said:
What is the worst act in the AFL/VFL/SANFL/WAFL/QAFL/TFL?

A few I can remember.

Dermott head stomping Tallis

Filandia the ball biter

Buckley the blood smearer

Leigh Matthews king hit behind play.

I am sure there are plenty more.
libba's dirty hit on knighter! :mad:

Tim the Toolman said:
The Black Bombers whacking kids who run on the field, particularly at Princes Park in the 90's :mad:
i was a black bomber and never hit any kids and those that did are cowards.

Crowked said:
How about the time when Lockett nearly killed Peter Caven.

2. Lockett on Caven. Another protected species. If the Swans had any principles they should never have recruited him after what he did to Caven.

MORONS!

Hardly the worst act in football. Wasn't malicious at all.
Peter Caven got in the way, Lockett was bad to put the elbow up but in his defense was at FULL PACE and the natural reaction for a human being is to cover his eyes/face. Let me guess you love media crap yes?? :rolleyes:

what would you do\?? Head butt a guy running full pace???? you champ. :confused:

SOUTHERN TIGER said:
Probably the worst one was John Burke (Collingwood) in the Army Reserves Cup game at South Melbourne back in '85, when he intententionally kicked a Sydney Swan player, was reported then decked the umpire, and whacked the Collingwood runner, and then for the encore, hopped the fence as he was running along the boundary line after he got dragged and punched a bloke down and hopped back over and walked off.
"Slug" Jordan's infamous commentary on that scene was unforgettable - "Geez e's give 'im one too, he's done well".

Mal Brown at the Adelaide Oval in the '72 Carnival Series when he punched about six Carlton blokes. Bar room brawl type thing.

Jimmy Edmond whacking Russel Morris at Carrara in the late 80's and seeing Morris twitching all over the place while he was out cold.

Grinter whacking Wallace at the Western Oval was another.

David Rhys-Jones going beserk at North Hobart in the TFL and whacking about 4 Hobart blokes out in one quarter, which almost started a riot in the crowd as Hobart supporters started hurling projectiles out onto the field at North Launceston players.

Tony "Tats" Brand belting Hobart's Tony Marchant at York Park behind play, which saw a massive all-in which split over the fence and into the crowd.

Darren Winter (Clarence) king-hitting Tony Morwood in the 1990 TFL Prelim Final, in the second quarter was a cheap shot, as was Greg Farquhar knocking Alistair Lynch out cold in the '87 TFL 1st Semi Final when Hobart were running all over Clarence.

Dale Weightman (South Launceston) putting Shawn Satori's (Sandy Bay) lights out behind the play at North Hobart, which was captured on TV - not good at all.

Dale Whish-Wilson (Burnie Hawks) throwing the ball at the boundary umpires head at KGV when he was annoyed about a ball being called out-of-bounds.
He was sent off and refused to leave, the game was abandoned amid ugly crowd scenes.

And Danny Noonan breaking Marcus Todman's jaw in the '95 TFL Grand Final, while they were standing beside each other, I remember the William Leitch Medal that Noonan won and the North Launceston table giving him the raspberry and heckling him when he was receiving his medal. :D

OMG Could this be the first REASONABLE POST ON Big Footy??????????? Finally a post with brains. well done. ;)

jezza said:
Collingwood winning a premiership.
Yeah it happens a lot more than with Richmond doesn't it?
How can people seriously compare Buckley's blood smearing as one of the worst acts. 1948 Grand Final. 2004 Grand Final. Hawthorn vs Essendon
Collingwood vs Carlton. Zantuck on M. Williams. Accidental, but McVeigh on Hird. There are many worse than what Buckley did. Besides Ling punched him in the first place.
Ling was being a mongrel.
Buckley was serving out justice.

Even as a Hawthorn supporter, I would have to class the Matthews hit on Bruns as the worst I've seen in football.

Jess Sinclair's hit on Picaone would be the worst I've seen this century.

I've heard much about the Greening incident, which may well match or exceed the Matthews one, but I haven't seen it personally so I can't comment.

For quantity in a single match, Garry Hocking can consider himself fortunate not to have got a lengthy holiday in 1990, courtesy of several less than savoury efforts in the 1989 decider.

Agree with those who have mentioned the Grinter thugging of Wallace...

Disagree with those putting forward the "so-called" Brereton stomp on Tallis, which was a beat-up and a contender for the most over the top suspension we have seen.

The decision to out Williams for 9 weeks for his fleeting contact with the umpire while trying to get to Denham would probably win the award for the most over the top suspension.

SensibleCommentator said:
2. Lockett on Caven. Hardly the worst act in football. Wasn't malicious at all.
Peter Caven got in the way, Lockett was bad to put the elbow up but in his defense was at FULL PACE and the natural reaction for a human being is to cover his eyes/face.
Not the worst(Matthews on Bruns was) but a close second. Thought you were joking but saw it was from Sensible Commentator(St Kilda supporter).... a contradiction in terms if ever there was one.

medusala said:
Dale Whish-Wilson - Without doubt the biggest thug Tas football has ever seen.
Yeah he had his moments did the "Whish", he did calm down a lot in his latter years and played some good football, but certainly in his early days with the old Burnie Hawks he was diabolical at times.
I would probably rate Darren Winter from Clarence as the dirtiest player from '89 onwards in the TFL, and even into the SFL as late as this year he was still getting into every brawl humanly possible as Capt/Coach of Clarence.

Not withstanding, as bad as some of those blokes could get at times, they had nothing on some of the thugs that were getting about in the SFL from '98 to about 2001. I saw some of the worst acts on any sporting field ever from some of the teams in that league.
Former Cygnet Captain/Coach Wayne Lamb was the out-and-out worst thug I have to this day ever seen on a football ground, he was a disgrace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never seen the incident but O'Dea's hit on Greening (virtually ending his career) would be way up there.

Im surprised there hasnt been a comment about Milburn's hit on Silvagni a few years back.

Bentleigh said:
Collingwood trying to take out J Brown in first 5 sec. of the gf :mad:
Sniff, sniff.... It's a pity when a 181cm player takes out a CHF that picks on players half his height. Burnsy is a very smart player and a tough and courageous one. Brown is a sook and sir so are you!!!

1. Peter Filandia's ball munching

2. Wangerneen on Prichard

3. Lockett on Caven

4. Carmen on umpire

5. Buckley's revolting blood smear

For me it would have to be Clarkson on Ian Aitken at the Oval in London at the end of (I think) 87. Aitken had been named Players Ass. rookie of the year but after that hit was never the same player again. :(

To all those who suggested Lockett on caven you a all a bunch of complete w a n k e r s. Lockett led hard and had eyes on the ball. Just because of his reputation of being rough the C's of the AFL thru the book at him. I feel for Caven but football is a rough game and if you dont have the balls to play it ******** off. That act was neither pre meditated no deliberate.
Does anyone really think Caven gives a ******** now he was a medicore player who ended up with a premership medallion because of luck.

Tommy Alvin said:
For me it would have to be Clarkson on Ian Aitken at the Oval in London at the end of (I think) 87. Aitken had been named Players Ass. rookie of the year but after that hit was never the same player again. :(
Yep, Battle Of Britain match at The Oval, North & Carlton.
Alastair Clarkson and Donald McDonald of North, and Wayne Johnston, David Rhys-Jones and Kenny Hunter (I think :confused: ) were all booked and suspended.
That match went off in a big way :p

tara said:
To all those who suggested Lockett on caven you a all a bunch of complete w a n k e r s. Lockett led hard and had eyes on the ball. Just because of his reputation of being rough the C's of the AFL thru the book at him. I feel for Caven but football is a rough game and if you dont have the balls to play it ******** off. That act was neither pre meditated no deliberate.
Does anyone really think Caven gives a ******** now he was a medicore player who ended up with a premership medallion because of luck.

He may have led hard but there is NO excuse for striking anyone with their forearm in a game which happened between Lockett and Caven.

I can't believe 7 pages without one mention of the most despicable acts on a footy field.
Dustin Fletcher and those malicious, cowardly ankle taps, not to mention the way in which he shook that goal post.
His number of suspensions make some of the previous mentioned look like choir boys.

taff wa said:
I have never seen the incident but O'Dea's hit on Greening (virtually ending his career) would be way up there.

Im surprised there hasnt been a comment about Milburn's hit on Silvagni a few years back.

well said...but as Milburn found out the following season...what goes around...comes around...courtesy of a MEAN BYRON PICKETT SHIRTFRONT !!

btw...that LICK on Brendan Krummel by Choppy on a freezing sat night at Waverley was NASTY stuff...the sound could be heard from 100 metres away and made my skin crawl... ouch ! My votes goes to Matthews on Bruns. Bloody disgraceful.

Here's another one I thought of: Mad Dog Muir spinning round and dropping Denis Collins on the members wing at Moorabbin in the late 70's.
Or Mad Dog Muir going troppo at the umpires and throwing his mouthguard all over the places and and shouting and carrying on at Optus Oval in the 80's after he got booked for putting down Val Perovic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst act in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back