Worst Captain Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange choice. 2011 AFL Players Captain of the year. Premiership Captain. Taken Blues to three finals series after monster drought.

Never thought much of Hall or Whitnall.

Think maybe it had something to do with him walking out on the Eagles when they needed their captain the most. 2007 was an "annus horribilis" for West Coast

Richie Vandenburg might have been one of the most average players to be made Captain, but he was far from being a bad Captain.

In fact I believe he was the catalyst for turning our Club into a force to be reckoned with. Something we had not been for many years prior.

At the very least he did an incredibly admirable job b/w Crawford resigning as Captain and Mitch or Hodge being ready to take over.

Richie Vandenburg might have been one of the most average players to be made Captain, but he was far from being a bad Captain.

In fact I believe he was the catalyst for turning our Club into a force to be reckoned with. Something we had not been for many years prior.

At the very least he did an incredibly admirable job b/w Crawford resigning as Captain and Mitch or Hodge being ready to take over.

Good filler captain am I right? Always thought Richie was a good leader, probably in the same mould as Maxwell.

Absolutely right.
Filled a hole that needed to be filled, and filled it with aplomb.

Yep, as us pies supporters know with Maxy it's not always what you see in the stats page but the impact they have on the group that counts, old Richie helped turn the tide at the hawks it always seemed..

Guys like Vandenberg, Maxwell, Green etc. might not be champions but they must have something that a whole team sees to elect them as captain. Internally, away from all the stuff we fans see, they might have a really big impact on the club.

Ordinary thread really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddha Hocking- have never seen a player elected as captain, pull out just before the 1st game, because he wanted to concentrate on his own form. He was a champion player, and later on played like a great captain, but this was bizarre. We then had co-captains in Stoneham and Ablett snr, and many suggested Ablett did not even know the names of most of his teammates, so we had some issues with captaincy back then.

An interesting choice. Premiership captain, but his blemish crippled the club and they've never recovered. Hard to go past as the worst, clearly there's been lesser players lead a club but who's had a bigger negative impact based on their actions?
I thought this too until i was reminded of Colbert.

Carey was a freakishly good footballer, but was screwing the wife of one of his players.

Colbert on the other hand bailed on the club without leading the team for even a match. and then they came good...

As much as I love the guy, I can just imagine how embarrassing Shaun McManus would have been as captain.

He's the kind of guy you pity, the kind of guy that positively reinforces a terrible under 8's footy club, the kind of guy that goes to New York City after you've already told him that it'll "eat him alive".

Not much else to say really. The man did his time during our darkest days. I guess that alleviates it a little.

LOL at people suggesting Maxwell or Vandenberg. These guys had total respect from everyone at their football clubs for their selflessness and the way they went about it. Their coaches and teammates never had anything but complimentary words for their leadership.

Vandenberg reluctantly took over as Hawthorn captain in difficult times after the club finished second last in 2004 and nearly imploded. He skippered the side through a transitional period from 2005-06 when they blooded many young players. Vandenberg led the Hawks into the 2007 final series, including a come from behind victory over Adelaide in his penultimate game when he held the that season's All Australian captain Andrew McLeod to 6 just kicks. He left the club in good shape and played a sizable role in the development of the 2008 premiership team.

Maxwell has captained Collingwood for the past 4 seasons and has been a fantastic leader. He embodies good leadership, growing into the role, elevating his game in the process, encouraging teammates, making sure they stick to the team plan and also enabling the younger stars like Swan, Pendlebury, Cloke and Thomas to concentrate on reaching their potential without the added burden and pressure of captaincy.

----------------------

Wayne Carey could be considered a contender for 'worst captain ever'. He was one of the great captains in AFL history, but then it all went out the window and overnight, he became the worst captain ever. The damage was mitigated because he fell on his sword and left the club.

-----------------------

I think the worst captain ever was Ben Cousins. Like Carey, there was a time when he was a great leader and the West Coast players looked up to him and followed him. Unfortunately, he fell in with a crowd of degenerates and he lost his way. Drugs and alcohol affected his judgment. He became a cancer at his football club and eventually dragged the Eagles through the mud. Cousins had been replaced as captain prior to them winning the flag and he was sacked as a player prior to West Coast tumbling down the ladder. But the damage had been done and it had been 3-4 years in the making. A once mighty club went from top of the heap to bottom of the heap in less than 2 seasons.

His own coach and former teammate, John Worsfold felt betrayed by Cousins' actions and he famously said to him "You've wrecked this club"

West Coast fans loved Cousins and even after his fall from grace, they extended him a lot of sympathy, which is understandable. It's nothing personal against Cousins who I met once once in his younger days and found him to be a great guy: humble, engaging and likeable. But you'd be hard-pressed to find a worse captain.

Leigh Colbert at Geelong - never actually captained the side in H&A because of knee injury, and then walked out on club

Didn't realise that, and it would be hard to top. Winner for me.

I reckon he'd be a terrific captain. He's apparently quite intense and puts high expectations on himself, i reckon he'd probably rub a bit of that off onto his team mates. I heard an interview somewhere that in his first week at the club he had a go at Darcy for taking shortcuts in the gym. lol

Cyril Rioli, Probably because he isn't even a captain

But honestly, What do we know what captains do behind the scene?

People like to Shit on Vandenberg for being a limited player and having much more talented guys around him like Crawford/Mitchell/Hodge/Croad a better choice for showing on-field brilliance (which people like to link with captaining a squad) However Vandenberg is a huge reason why Hawthorn went from Party boys who were ok between making a prelim final on sheer talent alone and finishing middle of the road for a while to a hugely professional player group and probably helped Hodge/Mitchell to achieve said standards when they were captain.

Who says Maxwell doesn't do the same?
Believe me, I'm not condemning Mawell. He may be the best thing to ever happen to Collingwood. You know however, that the common belief is that he's a rubbish captain, so I assumed that many people would bring him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back