Worst game by an individual in modern footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam Mooney in North's 99 premiership would go close to worst game for a premiership player. Admittedly he sat on the bench for most of it but ended up with no touches and a medallion.
Didn't he also give away a free kick in that time?

Nick Larkey's game last year looks pretty special. Does anyone have any insight into it? I had not heard of him.

That was his debut last year against Essendon. He played as a third tall beside Brown and Waite who both combined for 10-goals. He just couldn't get his hands on the ball and even copped a falcon. Fox spent the whole last quarter discussing it because I'm pretty sure Mooney was on the boundary, so anything to bring up the 1999 Grand Final.

I remember a game by Andrew Collins for Carlton against Essendon. It was his second game after being traded and every time he got near the ball he would stuff it up. He had nine-disposals with six-clangers and three-frees against. At the game it became comical. He didn't play again for the rest of the season.

The legendary 'Garry Sidebottom misses the bus' preliminary final back in 1981 has a qualifier.

The story is (for the young 'uns here) that Geelong CHF Garry Sidebottom missed the bus. Didn't travel to Waverley. Fortunately Geelong's reserve CHF Peter Johnson had traveled to the game with some other Geelong reserves and had his gear - 'just in case'. Unfortunately, by the time he had been located in the stands he had already consumed 2 pies, a bucket of chips and a thick shake (the stories vary, but you get the idea).

So - Peter Johnson's chance to be a hero! Win back his place in the side!! Get his team to a Grand Final!!! Here comes the fairytale.............

His stats - zeroes across the board. Except for 2 frees against. Geelong lose by 7 points.

Not close to the worst game ever, but what the hell. In the Vic versus Dream Team match in 2008, you had an incredible collection of key fowards. The Vics had Fev, J. Brown and Bradshaw and the Dream Team had Buddy, Pavlich, Richo and... wait... Cam Mooney? Now nothing against Mooney, he was a key part of an incredible Cats side, and provided a great target for them, but I don't think even a Cats supporter would argue he was at the level of the other players out there that night.

There where some incredible contests that night between the listed guys and defenders like Scarlo, Milburn and Rutten but all I remember is Moons losing every single one he was in, and not even halving them, just getting comprehensively beaten. It looks like wikipedia has some stats for the night and they have him getting 3 touches and a goal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_Hall_of_Fame_Tribute_Match#List so far from the worst game ever, but I've never seen a bloke look so out of place amongst champions.

There was a discussion in the Adelaide Crows post Richmond game thread, there was talk that Curtly Hampton's '2 disposals with 83% Time On Ground and 9 Super Coach points' being the worst game ever played for the Crows!

So I decided to look at some stats, using the excelent fitzRoy R package (https://github.com/jimmyday12/fitzRoy) which gets the stats from Footywire. I sorted on Disposals, then by Super Coach points, but with at least 70% time in game (TOG) and less than 10 Super Coach Point (SC). And found the Curtly's game was only the 2nd worst:

View attachment 524060

So I decided to look at the Worst Games in History. Nick Larkey's game last year looks pretty special. Does anyone have any insight into it? I had not heard of him. And Curtly's game is the 9th worst on record (well since Super Coach points were started - which looks pretty recent).

View attachment 524058

Code:
library(fitzRoy)
library(tidyverse)

fw_stats <- update_footywire_stats()
worst_game_stats <- fw_stats %>%
  filter (TOG > 70, SC <= 10) %>%
  select(Player, Team, Season, Round, D, SC, TOG) %>%
  arrange(D, SC, TOG, Player)

worst_game_stats

Johno Brown's dobule inclusion on that list validates (at least in my mind) my belief that he is the most overrated player i've ever seen play.

Cameron O'Shea had a couple of absolute stinkers for Port Adelaide.

The two that spring to mind are against Sydney in 2012 when he came on as the sub and cost us about 3 or 4 goals which turned out to be the game, and against Carlton in 2016 when you would have sworn he was secretly a double-agent for Carlton.

Cameron O'Shea had a couple of absolute stinkers for Port Adelaide.

The two that spring to mind are against Sydney in 2012 when he came on as the sub and cost us about 3 or 4 goals which turned out to be the game, and against Carlton in 2016 when you would have sworn he was secretly a double-agent for Carlton.

He's now played 10 games as a Carlton player this year, but that 2016 game is and will forever remain the best game he'll ever play for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's now played 10 games as a Carlton player this year, but that 2016 game is and will forever remain the best game he'll ever play for them.

That's not saying much.

He's played some ripper games for the opposition this year too. They should check his bank accounts after each match.

The Vics had Fev, J. Brown and Bradshaw and the Dream Team had Buddy, Pavlich, Richo and... wait... Cam Mooney? Now nothing against Mooney, he was a key part of an incredible Cats side, and provided a great target for them, but I don't think even a Cats supporter would argue he was at the level of the other players out there that night.
I remember that too, and it was a great demonstration of just what good delivery can do for a forward. He was a really good serviceable player, but was so clearly out of his depth in that field.

I remember Richo, after 15 years of playing in some of the most shit-average sides ever committed to a team sheet, got an absolute lace-out pass from one of the Geelong boys that might as well have been served with a napkin, a beer and a side of chips. He's just given Mooney this look of, "You're telling me you get this service *every week*?". And then he went back to Mark Coughlan dropping it six rows into Bay 10.

(It was a fantastic game of footy, too.)

Corey McKernan had a 5 HO, 0 kicks, marks and handballs game in 2001
And that was just one whereas he did play on the field, just couldn't get near it.

Some of these statless games from way back (such as Mooney 1999) involve the player just getting 10 minutes' game time because that's the way the interchange was used. Nowadays, however...

Came in here to post McPhee. I think it was his first game against Essendon after moving over to Fremantle? I remember some of his turnovers being comical.
He was soo bad it was funny. His last year(Ross' first) he was awesome. Really looked after the kids. then he retired.

Hit the nail on the head there - comical.

I remember that too, and it was a great demonstration of just what good delivery can do for a forward. He was a really good serviceable player, but was so clearly out of his depth in that field.

I remember Richo, after 15 years of playing in some of the most shit-average sides ever committed to a team sheet, got an absolute lace-out pass from one of the Geelong boys that might as well have been served with a napkin, a beer and a side of chips. He's just given Mooney this look of, "You're telling me you get this service *every week*?". And then he went back to Mark Coughlan dropping it six rows into Bay 10.

(It was a fantastic game of footy, too.)
Mark Coughlan? he hadn't played a game since 2006 at the time of that game

The day Brady Rawlings tagged Stephen Hill

Rawlings has 39 touches
Hill had 7
That just highlight how poor Hills work rate was on that day if he let his man have that much of the ball. It probably wasn't even a hard tag either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst game by an individual in modern footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back