Worst Performance in AFL history.

Is WCE loss to Hawthorn this round the worst performance in modern AFL history

• Yes

Votes: 75 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 41 35.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is all post 6-6-6, STAND etc. which guarantees annihilation of clubs at the bottom of the cycle.

There is no comparative history because the rules of the game are completely different- history starts at 2021.

But yesterday…jeepers, inexplicable!

Opposite imo this is a much lower scoring era and all players are full time professionals who train to at least be able to defend, flood back and set up a zone however untalented they are. Compared to like Fitzroy in the 90s where their only strategy once 5 goals behind would be 'man up'. It makes teams who get continually thrashed now days even more pathetic and lacking in effort

Yeah Ch10 did a great job with their AFL coverage back then, their commentators like Quartermain, Huddo, Tim Lane and Robert Walls were much better than the commentary teams we have today and their crowd effect mics were better too, they could make even a small crowd sound like it was a sell out.

There was an article a couple of years ago about how much better the Ch10 commentators were than the Ch7 commentators now and it's all very true.

Michael Christian doesn't get a lot of credit for his commertary, he was one of the best play-by-play commentators of all time IMO.

Anyone who’s followed a side over a long period of time has seen their team get belted - as in 100 points plus - at some stage.

It’s not pleasant and every club has their crosses to bear.

From my time of following Footscray/WB:

In the early 80’s we were a pretty poor side, we copped some beltings at Windy Hill, Vic Park, Princes Park (against Hawthorn and Carlton) and even at our home ground the Western Oval.

Also recall vs North in 1996 (featured in Year of the Dogs doco) a 100+ belting, and also in 2011 against the Eagles at Subiaco, 123 points, Josh Kennedy (who regularly dined out on us) kicking a lazy 10.

Dark, bleak days.

What can you do? Sit back and say well, I’ve seen the worst of them.

The wheel always turns, it always does.

Anyone who’s followed a side over a long period of time has seen their team get belted - as in 100 points plus - at some stage.

It’s not pleasant and every club has their crosses to bear.

From my time of following Footscray/WB:

In the early 80’s we were a pretty poor side, we copped some beltings at Windy Hill, Vic Park, Princes Park (against Hawthorn and Carlton) and even at our home ground the Western Oval.

Also recall vs North in 1996 (featured in Year of the Dogs doco) a 100+ belting, and also in 2011 against the Eagles at Subiaco, 123 points, Josh Kennedy (who regularly dined out on us) kicking a lazy 10.

Dark, bleak days.

What can you do? Sit back and say well, I’ve seen the worst of them.

The wheel always turns, it always does.
Amazingly, the Swans havent lost by over 100 points since 1998. The saints at the SCG.

Though, those last 2 games against Geelong went almighty close.

Remember there was a game in 2009 I believe - Adelaide v Freo - Freo kicked only 1 goal for the entire game and lost by 20 goals. For some reason that one sticks out as it a reminded me of an under 13's scoreline.

Last edited:
Port in the 07 granny
Melbourne @ Geelong 186 point loss

The dockers have ested my loyalty when thing were really bad....

Round 15, 2009 on a cold west saturday night at footy park vs the crows was one game,

Dockers scored just 1 behind at half time.

Crows won 19.16.130 to dockers 1.7.13

Didn't seem to be an issue for thirty years. The travel does impact career longevity though.

The current injury problems they have (which Freo don't) are either their fitness team or this particular group of players.

so..... That doesnt contribute to freos lack of finals success in 30 seasons?

The first half of the 2020 season was very grim for us. If quarters were full-length, we would've copped a few 100-point beltings, including from North who only finished ahead of us on %.

when your team went 0-13 in 2020?

Look at the 1st 10 games of the crows season. They lost some cloase games. Should of won at least 2 or 3 of them by round 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Christian doesn't get a lot of credit for his commertary, he was one of the best play-by-play commentators of all time IMO.

He was a much better commentator than he is a match review officer that's for sure.

Amazingly, the Swans havent lost by over 100 points since 1998. The saints at the SCG.

That is pretty incredible.

Mind you, I’d say you’ve been in finals and pretty competitive most of the years since 1998.

Although you did make it in 1998 as well!

Every side's last 100 point loss FWIW:

Adelaide: Round 18, 2011 vs St Kilda (103 points)
Brisbane: Round 20, 2016 vs Adelaide (138 points)
Carlton: Round 23, 2018 vs Adelaide (104 points)
Collingwood: Round 21, 2005 vs Adelaide (110 points)
Essendon: Round 21, 2019 vs Bulldogs (104 points)
Fremantle: Round 22, 2018 vs Geelong (133 points)
Geelong: Round 11, 2014 vs Sydney (110 points)
Gold Coast: Round 23, 2018 vs Geelong (102 points)
GWS: Round 10, 2014 vs Richmond (113 points)
Hawthorn: Round 13, 2005 vs Port (117 points)
Melbourne: Round 23, 2016 vs Geelong (111 points)
North Melbourne: Round 16, 2022 vs Geelong (112 points)
Port Adelaide: Round 21, 2011 vs Hawthorn (165 points)
Richmond: Round 23, 2016 vs Sydney (113 points)
St Kilda: Round 10, 2021 vs Bulldogs (110 points)
Sydney: Round 10, 1998 vs St Kilda (101 points)
West Coast: Round 10, 2023 vs Hawthorn (116 points)
Western Bulldogs: Round 9, 2011 vs West Coast (123 points)

so..... That doesnt contribute to freos lack of finals success in 30 seasons?

Freo's finals record is not great, but that stat only fluctuates between 61% at the top and 37.5% at the bottom. Freo are at 41%, Collingwood are 44% Geelong are 45%. The Eagles FYI are at 48%.

I'd argue Freo's lack of success (relatively) is due to not great entry concessions and quite a few bad list management decisions, more than being in WA.

Last edited:
I hope so but never underestimate the power of Essington.
I understand. I feared hawks would not turn up mentally on Sunday. But objectively Essendon is coming in with better form and ability into this week compared to us last week so I am confident you will obliterate them

Pretty sure Dees have this thread locked up from 2010-14 era (or whenever ist was).

Losing by less than 10 goals was a quasi-win back in those days.

Eagles a clear mix of injuries and board-sanctioned tanking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst Performance in AFL history.

Back