Worst Performance in AFL history.

Is WCE loss to Hawthorn this round the worst performance in modern AFL history

• Yes

Votes: 75 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 41 35.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

1995, round 13 (Friday night MCG), Crows lost to Collingwood by 96 points (24.8 to 7.14)
1995, round 14 (Saturday arvo MCG), Crows lost to Essendon by 122 points (27.20 to 8.12)

A dim couple of weeks to say the least.

It obviously isn't the biggest loss in AFL history, but Port Adelaide's terrible performance against the Western Bulldogs in the 2021 Preliminary Final, with the side coming into the match in good form, playing at home and with so much at stake was one of the worst losses I've seen in recent years.

Sure, the Bulldogs were very good, but the way Port Adelaide failed to get into the contest at any stage from the opening bounce to the final siren was extraordinary. It was like the performance of a 16th placed team in the final round that had nothing to lose or gain and didn't care whether they won or lost and just wanted to get onto Mad Monday and their end of season trip without any last round injuries, and almost surreal in the way it played out.

Yeah Ch10 did a great job with their AFL coverage back then, their commentators like Quartermain, Huddo, Tim Lane and Robert Walls were much better than the commentary teams we have today and their crowd effect mics were better too, they could make even a small crowd sound like it was a sell out.

There was an article a couple of years ago about how much better the Ch10 commentators were than the Ch7 commentators now and it's all very true.

Channel 9 were the best, but 10 was a better broadcaster than 7.

I don't know 2001 was enormously funny for me to watch Freo. Took until Round 18 to get the first win. Young Pav was a bit of light in the Freo gloom back then.
Collingwood I remember played them the week before when the Pies started to become competitive for the first time since mid 90s. Pavlich hit the post early in the final Qtr which could have put Freo up by 20. Then Collingwood kicked 7 straight and it was over.

So those couple of weeks for Freo were a good mini patch!

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst Performance in AFL history.

Back