Worst Performance in AFL history.

Is WCE loss to Hawthorn this round the worst performance in modern AFL history

• Yes

Votes: 75 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 41 35.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Um no coach would be able to do much with a team with that many injuries. Simmo may not be the right coach for them right now but this situation would be very difficult for any coach.

Rubbish.

They have 23 professional footballers run out there each week.

You can be competitive.

You can put in effort.

You can play a basic defensive gameplan, all of these players have been doing that since they were elite juniors.

They have just lost to the 17th team by OVER 100 POINTS.

They've won 3 of the last 36 games. I'd be surprised if any coach in league history has survived that.

Simpson and his coaches clearly have no longer have any ability to impact on how the player perform.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest the current North Melbourne and Hawthorn teams are two of the worst to take the field in the AFL era.

To somehow lose to one of them by 20 goals truly boggles the mind and I'm not sure what it infers about West Coast, but it sure as hell isn't good.

Melbourne were fighting for a finals spot before that Geelong game, St Kilda were in 8th spot with 34 points, Melbourne were in 11th spot with 30 points
Technically the week before that debacle, Adelaide’s performance was worse. It could only score 24 points against StKilda’s 127… StKilda outscored Adelaide 5.3 to 1, Geelong only outscored 4.95 to 1.

StKilda had also passed their peak by that stage and had fallen way behind Geelong.

This is right up there. Doesn't seem so bad (great team vs. shit team) until you notice the entire game was played in torrential rain in Adelaide.

They didn't score a goal until the last 30 seconds of the second quarter and only kicked three for the match, despite it being club legend Chad Cornes' final game.

Never seen a more pathetic effort. If it was dry it would've been a 200+ thrashing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I think of bad AFL games I think of this game between St Kilda and the Swans back in 2002 which ended in a draw when Daniel Wulf hit the post.

I remember it being a terrible game but when I looked for it up on youtube the last 5 minutes was quite exciting, the commentary was better back then.

West Coast are worse than us this season but I'd still strongly argue that the 2022 version of North were worse than West Coast are now.
Far out that’s a tough one
North last year were the worst team I think I’ve seen in my 50 odd years on the planet
But I don’t think they would have lost to the second bottom side by 20 goals

That’s a new bar that’s been set right there surely?

This is becoming a litany of self-harm :)
When I think of bad AFL games I think of this game between St Kilda and the Swans back in 2002 which ended in a draw when Daniel Wulf hit the post.

I remember it being a terrible game but when I looked for it up on youtube the last 5 minutes was quite exciting, the commentary was better back then.

Quartermain is an underrated caller. 5 minute warning, too. Listen to the audio; Channel 10 knew how to pump up the crowd effects.

There will probably never be another Pete, Lou and Bob in the popular imagination.

I don't think people will get nostalgic and teary-eyed about the coincidence of Hamish McLachlan being the brother of the AFL CEO.

Last edited:
North last year were the first team in history to lose 10 games in a row by 40+ points. Even more incredible they were only 1 game off losing 10 in a row by 50+
This is all post 6-6-6, STAND etc. which guarantees annihilation of clubs at the bottom of the cycle.

There is no comparative history because the rules of the game are completely different- history starts at 2021.

But yesterday…jeepers, inexplicable!

Melbourne @ Geelong 186 point loss

Watched that. OMFG, as a Saints fans, have seen some drubbings (145 point defeat on a wet MCG v Hawks comes to mind) but that was the worst loss I have seen.
It took a decade but Melbourne came good. WCE will be back, but can't say when.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
This is becoming a litany of self-harm :)

Quartermain is an underrated caller. 5 minute warning, too. Listen to the audio; Channel 10 knew how to pump up the crowd effects.

There will probably never be another Pete, Lou and Bob in the popular imagination.

I don't think people will get nostalgic and teary-eyed about the coincidence of Hamish McLachlan being the brother of the AFL CEO.

Yeah Ch10 did a great job with their AFL coverage back then, their commentators like Quartermain, Huddo, Tim Lane and Robert Walls were much better than the commentary teams we have today and their crowd effect mics were better too, they could make even a small crowd sound like it was a sell out.

There was an article a couple of years ago about how much better the Ch10 commentators were than the Ch7 commentators now and it's all very true.

Yeah Ch10 did a great job with their AFL coverage back then, their commentators like Quartermain, Huddo, Tim Lane and Robert Walls were much better than the commentary teams we have today and their crowd effect mics were better too, they could make even a small crowd sound like it was a sell out.

There was an article a couple of years ago about how much better the Ch10 commentators were than the Ch7 commentators now and it's all very true.

Chuck in Blighty too.

Chuck in Blighty too.

I couldn't give a rat's tossbag about Blighty after what happened with him coaching at St Kilda.

In all seriousness he was another good commentator at Ch10, he provided some interesting left field takes even if they could be a bit weird at times.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest the current North Melbourne and Hawthorn teams are two of the worst to take the field in the AFL era.

To somehow lose to one of them by 20 goals truly boggles the mind and I'm not sure what it infers about West Coast, but it sure as hell isn't good.
I reckon it’s a bit of a stretch to include Hawthorn in that.

North
Dees
Port
GWS
GC
West Coast
Fitzroy

All worse, and mostly downright uncompetitive. We’re far from the finished article, and we’ll have some bad weeks, but we’ll be mostly competitive, and I’m fairly confident that we’ll snag a few more wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst Performance in AFL history.

Back