All Australian
May 20, 2013
Los Angeles, California, USA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Mets
What's up, Freo peeps?
Been a LONG time since I last posted, I know, and I hope ALL of you are traveling well.
What a rollercoaster season, huh?
Start 0-2 and think all hope is dead...then go 6-2 and with Collingwood and Brisbane next, think we'll go into the bye 8-4 and have a good shot at finals...then...
Anyway, here's a question for all of you, so please weigh in: Should the Dockers go all-in for Doggies' star running beckman and East Fremantle product, Jason Johannisen, or leave him alone?
He's the reigning Norm Smith Medallist, but in recent weeks, you've seen it — JJ's been pushed around and knocked to the ground worse than the little guy in that old Moving Pictures melodramatic tune, "What About Me?"
Have your say!
Oh! And just in case you don't get the "Dyn-o-mite!" reference, it's an allusion to the 1970s American TV sitcom, "Good Times," on which a character named JJ (played by comedian Jimmie Walker) used to make buffoonish entrances and declare that he was, "Dyn-o-Mite!"
Check it:

I'd love to have JJ at FFC without paying overs for him. Showed he can play on the big stage . plz get rid of the odell Beckham Jr hair first

I don't think he's worth the coin he wants - also he might be over compensation for a part of the ground that seems to be in better hands compared to the rest.

2017 Outs: Dawson and Ibbotson
2017 Ins: Logue, Nyhuis and Ryan

2018 Outs: Johnson
2018 Returns: Alex Pearce

Spurr has 3 seasons left in him. We have Weller and Logue who are still developing and could be what JJ currently is - we have Hamling who is one of our best players tracking brilliantly, then Hughes (Surprise Packet) and Ryan. Nyhuis (Carving seconds recently) still to debut. Collins (Needs a proper run in seniors), Sheridan(?) and Sutcliffe as depth with players like Mundy and Blakely who can swing back now. Also Cox might go back to CHB one day if needed to.

So that's 10 or so players who I'm confident in being in our backline over the next few years compared to the 1 or 2 forwards I'm confident in. :drunk:

I don't want to overstock the more promising side of the field when we need to target the right players this off-season.

Would rather target someone like Nick Haynes in a year if we're going to throw away $ for a defender.

Big yes from me. Our outside mids / flankers are generally poor. Enter Brad Hill and he's immediately our best. The flankers / outside mids are largely responsible for the fluency from the backline to forward, something we suck at immensely. Weller has shown a bit but needs some help. I'd give up a pick in the 8-14 range and pay him 600k no problem.

With Weller, JJ, B.Hill, S.Hill, Bennell, Walters all fit and firing we start to have players capable of running the ball end to end and playing some transition footy. Right now, shut down B.Hill, pay Weller some attention and we can't move the ball.

Big yes from me. Our outside mids / flankers are generally poor. Enter Brad Hill and he's immediately our best. The flankers / outside mids are largely responsible for the fluency from the backline to forward, something we suck at immensely. Weller has shown a bit but needs some help. I'd give up a pick in the 8-14 range and pay him 600k no problem.

With Weller, JJ, B.Hill, S.Hill, Bennell, Walters all fit and firing we start to have players capable of running the ball end to end and playing some transition footy. Right now, shut down B.Hill, pay Weller some attention and we can't move the ball.

There's also Langdon and the prospect of Carter to add to the list of running players. And if we have to go without one of them (JJ), it is not really going to break us.

Would take him for a reasonable deal (i.e. something that won't get it done) ... but what you are proposing to give up would be absolute madness. We could probably get someone like Lobb for that, which would be far more beneficial.

The reason I think no is just because of the kicking. I'd happily give the 800k if he kicked like Bob Murphy. He kicks more like D Pearce - long and in the general vicinity of the target.

If we want a blokes who can rack it up, defend a bit and break lines from half back with questionable kicking then I recommend we draft Patmore this year. Will probably cost pick ~40 and 80k. Also, isn't Carter a HBF with some nice wheels who takes the game on? We get him on the cheap next year.

No thanks. Price too high for me.

The big difference is that the Hills, Bennell and Walters are elite (or near to it) users of the ball. JJ is an average user. He's got lots of assets, no doubt, had a big finish to last year too of course so he can perform at certain times, but there are lots of good footballers around that have had great moments and are mostly solid most of the time. JJ is over hyped and over priced.

If he comes at a modest price, then sure, he's got AFL attributes. But I don't want to pay A grade price for what I consider a B+ grade footballer. As others have posted, we've got more pressing roles to throw our resources at.

People said the same stuff about Brad Hill. Now we have him we appreciate the work rate and skill. JJ took a few kick outs on the weekend against the Eagles and hit free players on the tit 60m out. I'd pay a first rounder to avoid watching Johnson lob it to 55m out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've mostly played Weller in defence this year, but it would be nice if we could free him up and permanently move him to the wing or forward, wouldn't JJ do that for us? Ballas will soon retire, Weller and Bennell would make a nice pairing up forward or sharing a midfield/forward spot.

I'm presuming that we'd have coin to spare, so his asking price isn't the biggest issue. But it would be more a case of other trade targets as we don't have an infinite piggy bank and have more pressing concerns for trades. But if we can't get those other positions filled, we'd be mad not to grab him if we could - gotta spend that salary minimum and if we can be improved by spending more and approaching the salary cap then just do it, good revenue is one thing we have.

People said the same stuff about Brad Hill. Now we have him we appreciate the work rate and skill. JJ took a few kick outs on the weekend against the Eagles and hit free players on the tit 60m out. I'd pay a first rounder to avoid watching Johnson lob it to 55m out.

I don't remember too many saying BHill is an ordinary kick. Hill always was a good kick and with us has generally been as good if not better than he showed at Hawthorn. Most people's issue (well mine) with BHill is what he doesn't do when we don't have the ball. He's not strong defensively and when we aren't winning the ball, he's not the sort to go find it. That's largely proven to be right, though not as bad as I thought, but what he does bring has proven its worth no doubt.

As for JJ. You're right, he's got a long leg on him and it's accurate enough. But his general field kicking is usually somewhere between OK to pretty crappy. He is a good mover, fairly athletic, a solid tank, a reasonable defender for his type, but he's not a fantastic ball user plain and simple and can be relatively easily shut out of a game. We have quite a few of those on our team now, I don't see why we should pay top dollar for another one. If he comes at a modest price, sure, otherwise, pass.

What's up, Freo peeps?
Been a LONG time since I last posted, I know, and I hope ALL of you are traveling well.
What a rollercoaster season, huh?
Start 0-2 and think all hope is dead...then go 6-2 and with Collingwood and Brisbane next, think we'll go into the bye 8-4 and have a good shot at finals...then...
Anyway, here's a question for all of you, so please weigh in: Should the Dockers go all-in for Doggies' star running beckman and East Fremantle product, Jason Johannisen, or leave him alone?
He's the reigning Norm Smith Medallist, but in recent weeks, you've seen it — JJ's been pushed around and knocked to the ground worse than the little guy in that old Moving Pictures melodramatic tune, "What About Me?"
Have your say!
Oh! And just in case you don't get the "Dyn-o-mite!" reference, it's an allusion to the 1970s American TV sitcom, "Good Times," on which a character named JJ (played by comedian Jimmie Walker) used to make buffoonish entrances and declare that he was, "Dyn-o-Mite!"
Check it:

Started a good discussion GilG. What's the story with all that Mets pitching?

Started a good discussion GilG. What's the story with all that Mets pitching?
While GilG is collecting his thoughts, here's mine.

Looked like the best starting rotation in MLB before the season started, then the wheels fell off.

Noah Syndergaard refused an MRI, then injured his shoulder two minutes later, hasn't pitched since April 30, still on the 60 day DL.

Matt Harvey had Tommy John surgery in 2014, then pitched 200+ innings in 2015 when the doctors said his innings count should have been managed and has been ordinary since. Hasn't thrown more than 6 innings since April 30. ERA 5.25. Currently on the 10 day DL.

Zach Wheeler has an ERA of 5.01 and has just come off the 10 day DL.

Steven Matz missed the first two months of the season but is pitching very well at the moment. No earned runs in his last two starts.

Jacob deGrom has become the team's ace since Thor went down and is in red hot form. Won his last four starts, 3 earned runs in a combined 32 innings.

Jeurys Familia is the team's closer and is on the 60 day DL due to a blood clot in his shoulder. Not expected to return for another month at least.

The rest of the bullpen sucks.

Other than that it's all hunky-dory.

Looked like the best starting rotation in MLB before the season started, then the wheels fell off.

Noah Syndergaard refused an MRI, then injured his shoulder two minutes later, hasn't pitched since April 30, still on the 60 day DL.

Matt Harvey had Tommy John surgery in 2014, then pitched 200+ innings in 2015 when the doctors said his innings count should have been managed and has been ordinary since. Hasn't thrown more than 6 innings since April 30. ERA 5.25. Currently on the 10 day DL.

Steven Matz missed the first two months of the season but is pitching very well at the moment. No earned runs in his last two starts.

Jacob deGrom has become the team's ace since Thor went down and is in red hot form. Won his last four starts, 3 earned runs in a combined 32 innings.

Jeurys Familia is the team's closer and is on the 60 day DL due to a blood clot in his shoulder. Not expected to return for another month at least.

Yeh but can any of them bowl a good out swinger.

Ashes call up is on the cards.

So, a combination of bad luck and some seriously questionable management of some great arms (Syndergaard - so good to watch!). As a Nationals fan, we don't mention bullpens!

Remove this Banner Ad

Would JJ Be "Dyn-o-mite!" at Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back