WRFL Div 2 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

List of Clubs competing in Seniors Gone or Left WRFL/FDFL.
Brooklyn, Deer Park, St. Albans, Coburg Districts, Gladstone Park, Rockbank, Kealba, Central Altona, Kensington, Flemington, Brunswick Power, Manor Lakes, Glen Orden, Fawkner Park, North Essendon, that’s all I can think of.
Newport, West Newport, Newport East, Williamstown CYMS, Port Colts, Yarraville CYMS, Werribee Centrals, Wembley Park, Kingsville, Werribee South, Metro Farm, Irish National Forresters, Williamstown United, Lara, Little River, Fitzroy Stars, Williamstown Rovers, East Brunswick, Brunswick Amateurs, Essendon High Ex Students, RAAF Laverton, Hammerheads (who could forget?).
There could be more, but that's all I can remember too!

Newport, West Newport, Newport East, Williamstown CYMS, Port Colts, Yarraville CYMS, Werribee Centrals, Wembley Park, Kingsville, Werribee South, Metro Farm, Irish National Forresters, Williamstown United, Lara, Little River, Fitzroy Stars, Williamstown Rovers, East Brunswick, Brunswick Amateurs, Essendon High Ex Students, RAAF Laverton, Hammerheads (who could forget?).
There could be more, but that's all I can remember too!
West Brunswick and Ascot Vale also

West Brunswick and Ascot Vale also
Many have gone, and I’m not sure that we have covered them all.
How many are defunct?
How many have merged?
In what leagues are the survivors playing, merged or whatever?
What are they called now?
Could we write a book? A rhetorical question: answer is yes but who will?

So many unanswered questions. Demographics and nearby cashed-up clubs must have had an impact, probably preying on those which had been poorly administered or with a lack of a strong culture.

Very sad, but let’s hope that our local clubs, that is those that are still alive are doing well in their respective competitions, after all, they still represent the Western Suburbs.

Many have gone, and I’m not sure that we have covered them all.
How many are defunct?
How many have merged?
In what leagues are the survivors playing, merged or whatever?
What are they called now?
Could we write a book? A rhetorical question: answer is yes but who will?

So many unanswered questions. Demographics and nearby cashed-up clubs must have had an impact, probably preying on those which had been poorly administered or with a lack of a strong culture.

Very sad, but let’s hope that our local clubs, that is those that are still alive are doing well in their respective competitions, after all, they still represent the Western Suburbs.
It's all on Wikipedia.

But where have they gone?
With whom have they merged?
Who or what are they called now?

Where on Wikipedia are answers to such basic questions?
Your post is kinda dramatic…

Presume with Glenorden gone the only change is an additional bye? Any confirmation from League HQ

Braybrook denying clearances left, right and centre. Easy for players to go there but it seems it is very hard for them to leave.

I don’t know if that’s a bad look on the club or on the players…

A bit of hotel California about this IMO!

Last edited:
Braybrook denying clearances left, right and centre. Easy for players to go there but it seems it is very hard for them to leave.

I don’t know if that’s a bad look on the club or on the players…

A bit of hotel California about this IMO!
At the end of the day , they can’t hold anyone back unless they’re unfinancial

Your post is kinda dramatic…

How is this dramatic?

It's merely a question as to where those former FDFL, WSFL, Werribe FL and WRFL clubs are now.

My post is attempting to link history and a remembrance of our former clubs.

We shouldn’t forget them as they're part of our Western Suburbs’football history.

I remember that INF, Metro Farm and Werribee South amalgamated to form the new Werribee VFA team.

Are there must be similar stories, such as can be relayed to the WRFL faithful?

Those former Western suburban clubs should be remembered, as they are our foundation clubs.

So if they are completive, move them up, move the two best from Div 2 up to div 1 and have a proper competition where it matters.
Deadset, the defeated mentality of the lower grades astounds me.

It should be embarrassing to play div 3 with clubs striving to get out of it. However it seems the opposite.

Clubs winning flags and not being promoted, gutless and weak as piss. North Footscray, Parkside etc the old when it was your turn to go, you pulled out. There were others before them, it's created this clubs run the game rather than the league. Now the league are too scared to upset the lower clubs, but then sook and moan when the better clubs leave.

Port Colts, Deer Park and St.Albans, who is next?
To let you know that North Footscray had 6 players retire after 2017 and 4 moved on. No 1 Didnt have the money to go up to pay players no 2 after a disastrous 2013 in div 1 we never won a game and were belted by 20 goals plus in most games no 3 we have no juniors.......so for you to come out and say clubs are piss weak get your facts straight on why we didnt go up

To let you know that North Footscray had 6 players retire after 2017 and 4 moved on. No 1 Didnt have the money to go up to pay players no 2 after a disastrous 2013 in div 1 we never won a game and were belted by 20 goals plus in most games no 3 we have no juniors.......so for you to come out and say clubs are piss weak get your facts straight on why we didnt go up
And played finals the year after.

Typical weak as piss club that recruits for the now and shows no ambition to be better.

Had no issues paying 35 year olds, but complain when they retire?

So you guys protected yourselves at the detriment of Wyndham Vale.

Who realistically could have come down and bounced back up. They had to go through the river of shit for you blokes and now find themselves in the same spot.

You blokes shirked, made excuses and hid. Facts are facts. Your part of the problem, not the solution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And played finals the year after.

Typical weak as piss club that recruits for the now and shows no ambition to be better.

Had no issues paying 35 year olds, but complain when they retire?

So you guys protected yourselves at the detriment of Wyndham Vale.

Who realistically could have come down and bounced back up. They had to go through the river of s**t for you blokes and now find themselves in the same spot.

You blokes shirked, made excuses and hid. Facts are facts. Your part of the problem, not the solution.
With such strong opinions, just to show they have some credence have you been on a board of a local club and helped to grow it?

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Parkside
Newport
Albion
Sunshine

North Footscray
Wyndhamvale
Glenorden
Braybrook

The 2 teams that could do better than predicted are Wyndhamvale and Braybrook
With Glenorden now out still would have the ladder similar. Though predicting Albion in 3rd have a feeling they could actually win it.

Rebuilt well and added some quality

With Glenorden now out still would have the ladder similar. Though predicting Albion in 3rd have a feeling they could actually win it.

Rebuilt well and added some quality

I think the top 4 you have chosen are the top 4. Unsure of the order yet but they seem to be the clear group to watch given clearances, player retention and coaches.

Can’t see Braybrook, North or Wyndham Vale challenging unfortunately.

I’ll go with this:

Parkside
Sunshine
Newport
Albion
little gap

North Footscray
Wyndham Vale

huge, every week floggings gap
Braybrook

Revised Ladder Prediction

Parkside 13-2 Initially 3 games against GO
Wyndamvale 11-4 They should improve
Sunshine 11-5 Good fixture the first month
Newport 8-7 Might lose a few close games

North Footscray 6-10 Could struggle
Albion 4-11 Losing 3 GO games will hurt
Braybrook 0-16 Great 2022 poor 2023

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Albion were close to the 4 last year, they look significantly stronger can't see them missing out.

Other than Braybrook who are unknown, the rest were all reasonably close last year so those that improve could do significantly better

Albion were close to the 4 last year, they look significantly stronger can't see them missing out.

Other than Braybrook who are unknown, the rest were all reasonably close last year so those that improve could do significantly better

Who has Albion picked up?

All their recruits appear straight out of 18s…

Better than recruiting 35 year olds
Perhaps, but I’m just wondering why Lachy rates Albion’s chances so high.

Young players can improve a lot and fast but they can also be a slow burn & disappear too…

Albion didn’t make finals last year. Parkside have recruited some quality, Sunshine was a Division 1 side in 2022 and has recruited, Newport apparently are a dark horse..

Just keen to gain his perspective that’s all.

Who has Albion picked up?

All their recruits appear straight out of 18s…
Albion have picked up some quality players from Caroline Springs. One from the under 18's also played Div 1 senior football and another kicked 47 goals in Div 1 reserves. Players picked up from other comps are not just there to make up the numbers.

Also, you can look at their ladder position last year and be easily misled.

They had some good young players but also their performances against the top 5 can easily be overlooked.

They pushed Parkside in all 3 games, Point Cook Centrals in 2 of their 3 games, went 1 and 1 with Newport and North Footscray and pushed Wyndhamvale

Albion have picked up some quality players from Caroline Springs. One from the under 18's also played Div 1 senior football and another kicked 47 goals in Div 1 reserves. Players picked up from other comps are not just there to make up the numbers.

They had some good young players but also their performances against the top 5 can easily be overlooked.

They pushed Parkside in all 3 games, Point Cook Centrals in 2 of their 3 games, went 1 and 1 with Newport and North Footscray and pushed Wyndhamvale
Fair call mate, I hope you are right. That club needs some success - been a battle for them the last 10 years!

Looks as Caroline Springs are Albions feeder club ,what's the rule regarding how many players you can take from one club ?

Remove this Banner Ad

WRFL Div 2 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back