Xavier Ellis officially signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Understandably the deal's not over the line yet but I'll be stoked if we can get Xavier Ellis a former top 5 pick in the Scott Pendlebury draft for nothing.

The hardest part will be getting him on the park and keeping him there but his experience especially in big games would be vital.

Yeah well the same old fanbois in here need some shaking up to get with reality and realize West Coast aren't the perfect club with nothing but stars and elite players in its ranks. I always get a kick out of the ones who respond to anything slightly negative about the Eagles which remind me of a few blokes I work with who almost worship anything Eagles and really if you think about it its pretty pathetic really ..grown up's worshipping a team of footballers.

I think it's kind of pathetic that you continue to post your ridiculus claims with no reasonings behind them then make these even more ridiculous rants when pulled up on them.

Carter was pick 40 something, and I think fasolo was in the 50s so there is still some gold if you get it right

Still speculative, but clubs should be able to identify talent late in drafts and back their development coaches to extract something from a lot of players.

At best we could get someone like a Robertson or Cameron in the third round.

There have been a lot of running jokes over the years on the Hawk forum about Ellis's body and ability to get injured regularly. Some of the jokes are funny but at the end of the day, this is a guy who is very talented and has a great mindset but just doesn't get the luck most footballers get. I've always felt for him as it must be tough knowing you are capable but just can't get your body right. Similar to how Kerr's body ended up the past few years.

IF (and it's a big if) he becomes injury free and gets a pre season or 2, he will be a great pick up. His skills are quite good, more of a short kick, good at hitting targets on the lead, can kick up and under at times too though. Very courageous and brave player which has caused many of his injuries because his body is so slight and he can't seem to put on muscle, his frame just doesn't add muscle or bulk unfortunately.

I always saw him as too slow to be an outside player and too skinny to be an inside player but he can play both. I am trying to give a realistic view of his ability, sorry if it comes across as negative.

He is though one of the smartest decision makers I've seen at the Hawks and is good at finding the ball, also very versatile, can play mid, back and forward. If he stays injury free and builds belief and confidence in himself he could turn out to be a bargain. All the best Xavier and I really hope he gets that turn of luck he deserves and can add to your side and midfield.

Good luck! :thumbsu:

What sort of injuries has he predominately had

Please don't say hammies or op

Has had trouble with his calf last two years among other things, seems to be very injury prone, but calf injuries are bad news, recurring and long layoffs req'd . Happy with the pickup though, costs us nothing and will add class if he can stay fit.

Hopefully there's no turbulence on the flight over so he's right to go for the pre-season. ;)

Don't worry.
We've got our best scientists on it:

bubble-wrap.jpg

Asked a guy I know that's a Hawks Man in Vic, this is his reply about "Ellis"
"Ellis is a talent , several times BOG for Hawks 2012 ,but dodgy this year after injuries in Semi and Grand Final 2012
Season 2013 mostly injured only played rounds 13,14 foot calf and knee injuries ,he has been in rehab since.
If fit he will surprise when he next takes the field , with his hard ball gets at ground level and can kick straight "

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think many people will be surprised at the talent he has.
He's shown it when uninjured, the problem has always been the body.

Yes true fingers crossed,you would have thought Simpson would have done his homework on this guy

Great player!! only his body holding him back. I'll be sad if he leaves the Hawks as he has so much talent.

Don't worry.
We've got our best scientists on it:

bubble-wrap.jpg

Haha, nah I was being a bit smart with my post before. It's been so frustrating over the years with Ellis being out injured all the time it's become a running joke.

He can play. Smart, good skills, good engine. Can play midfield, forward and back effectively. He just doesn't have the body for football. That could change with a new club, stranger things have happened. At worst he'll be good depth, which is important for any top 4 contender.

He always found a way into our side when he was fit (even when he wasn't) and probably undeserving of a game, which shows how highly he was rated internally (Simmo obviously rates him). He was always the one tearing it up at training and pre-season, but would break down during games. What most people don't know is that Ellis is actually fearless. He genuinely throws himself in there and attacks it hard, but as I said before, he just doesn't have the body for it. And he does play through injuries - he had a broken nose and a strained groin throughout the VFL finals series, where he played a significant role in Box Hill's flag.

He's a 2008 premiership hero and I hope it works out for him. He deserves a good run at it. If he can stay on the park, it'll go down as one of the greatest free agency steals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Xavier Ellis officially signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back