Xavier Ellis officially signed

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Simpson would have signed him unless there was a role intended for him. So IMO if fit I think he will be playing come round 1.
I'm really interested to see the different roles players will be playing this season and how he see's our best 22 compared to the way that Woosha and us have seen it over the past season or 2.

G'day Eagles
Congrats on Xman, if he can get a clear run regarding injuries he is a great pickup for you
Classy skillful mid or half back flanker, and a ripper bloke to boot
Obviously you guys reckon you can fix his injury woes, and Simmo rates him, so it's a risk worth taking, as the rewards will be big if all goes well!
Clarko loved him, played him every opportunity, but unfortunately those opportunities were few and far between
Hope for X and you guys he gets better luck in the beautiful Perth sun, just make sure he covers himself in sunscreen, as a 3rd degree burn injury is about the only injury he hasn't had! :p
Best of luck to X and you guys in 2014!

(I take it Hawks are your second fav team due to GF result!) ;)

BREAKING: Xavier Ellis has officially joined West Coast after 85 games in eight years with Hawthorn. He is an unrestricted free agent, so the Hawks will find out late Friday what they will receive as compensation. They have now lost two players to free agency, with Lance Franklin, now of the Sydney Swans, the other.

Why don't we get Gumbleton as well while we are at it?

We have had too many injury affected players clogging up our list in recent years (Dick, Bennell, Nico etc) which has denied us the chance of developing more young talent . I'm not saying there isn't a time and place for taking a punt on an injury-prone player, particularly when he comes scot-free other than his list spot, but I don't think its a gamble we should be taking right now.

I also don't like the fact that Hawthorn apparently aren't doing much to keep him and Freo gave him the heave-ho after the physical. We aren't really the team that picks up other teams' leavings and turns them into something good.

7 top 7 picks on our list now

Ellis - 3 - 2005
Kennedy -4 - 2005
Masten - 3 - 2007
Morton - 4 - 2007
Naitanui - 2 - 2008
Shep - 7 - 2009
Gaff - 4 - 2010

Why don't we get Gumbleton as well while we are at it?

We have had too many injury affected players clogging up our list in recent years (Dick, Bennell, Nico etc) which has denied us the chance of developing more young talent . I'm not saying there isn't a time and place for taking a punt on an injury-prone player, particularly when he comes scot-free other than his list spot, but I don't think its a gamble we should be taking right now.

I also don't like the fact that Hawthorn apparently aren't doing much to keep him and Freo gave him the heave-ho after the physical. We aren't really the team that picks up other teams' leavings and turns them into something good.

To be fair Bennell was recovering from a knee recon and mid year played 3 reserves games then went and played 12 straight senior games including a final. Each game he got better and better and really should have debuted for Eagles late in the season.

By the sound of the rest of you, you're all disappointed.

I'm quite happy with the pick up, low risk-high reward situation. And it cost us nothing. I thought you guys were against drafting Dayle Garlett because of his high risk situation. Can't make you're mind up on what approach you want!

I'm confident we can sort his injury issues out and he can be at the very worst a serviceable player for a few years.

Welcome Xavier!

To be fair Bennell was recovering from a knee recon and mid year played 3 reserves games then went and played 12 straight senior games including a final. Each game he got better and better and really should have debuted for Eagles late in the season.

OK, I guess the jury is still out on Bennell - but he appears to be following the same path that Dick did in 2012, and we know how that ended up.

Although not injury-related, we have also lost a spot in Newman in recent years to off-field issues. I would feel much more comfortable in taking a gamble on Ellis if we had had young blokes regularly plying their trade in the WAFL over the last 2 years instead of the players I mentioned.

Will be interesting to see how his body copes with the travel factor.

Great to see X get a second chance and a fresh start under new coach Adam Simpson. Looking forward to seeing him play for the Eagles next year and hopefully this is the start of something special for him.

Good luck in 2014! :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day Eagles
Congrats on Xman, if he can get a clear run regarding injuries he is a great pickup for you
Obviously you guys reckon you can fix his injury woes, and Simmo rates him, so it's a risk worth taking, as the rewards will be big if all goes well!
Clarko loved him, played him every opportunity, but unfortunately those opportunities were few and far between
Hope for X and you guys he gets better luck in the beautiful Perth sun, just make sure he covers himself in sunscreen, as a 3rd degree burn injury is about the only injury he hasn't had! :p

Thanks...probably preferred Franklin or Roughy but we'll take him :p. I for one was twixt and between on the GF. Felt sorry for Freo and wished them well but at the same time given the crap their supporters give us, was probably a bit smug at the same time .

I don't think we would have picked him up if we thought he was going to struggle to get on the park. I am sure the club would have done the appropriate testing and due diligence.
Good pick up as he is free, won't be on huge money and is worth the risk.
When fit he walks into our starting 18.

G'day Eagles

Spoke to someone at another vic club, i mentioned XE's dodgy calves he pointed me towards this new method of rejuvenation

calf-half-out.jpg

I wish Xavier all the best at WC. Would be starting 22 except his body always breaks down somewhere, I hope a change of environment does him a world of good.

OK, I guess the jury is still out on Bennell - but he appears to be following the same path that Dick did in 2012, and we know how that ended up.

Although not injury-related, we have also lost a spot in Newman in recent years to off-field issues. I would feel much more comfortable in taking a gamble on Ellis if we had had young blokes regularly plying their trade in the WAFL over the last 2 years instead of the players I mentioned.
Nope, no jury out on Bennell, he can play when he's up and going. Absolutely no drama there.

Welcome X-man (my new fave Eagles nickname) to get the thread back on track. :)

Congratulations on signing Ellis! :D
He is a great player when fit. I hope he can stay injury free for you guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Xavier Ellis officially signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back