Yarra Valley-Mountain District FL Discussion Forum 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
YVMDFNL Division Two Grand Final & Divisuion One Preliminary Final Wrap -
11 and 12 September

Division Two

Seniors
Yarra Glen are 2010 YVMDFNL Division 2 Premiers with a devastating performance at Gembrook last Saturday. In front of a crowd of over 2500, Yarra Glen played inspired football to defeat Yarra Junction in compelling fashion. The finals cores Yarra Glen 14.12.96 defeated Yarra Junction 5.13.43. Yarra Glen was nothing short of first-rate with their 53 point victory over the gallant Yarra Junction outfit. Yarra Glen only scored 2 goals in the first quarter but they held Junction to just 1 behind that laid the foundation. In the second quarter, Yarra Glen really hit their straps with 5 goals, however Junction just hanging in there with 3 majors of their own. At half time the margin was 26 points, still well within Yarra Junction’s reach. However, Yarra Glen put the result beyond doubt in the 3rd as they held Junction to 4 behinds while they booted 3.6 to stretch the margin out to 46 points. Yarra Junction did boot the first 2 goals early in the last to give a little glimmer of hope but Yarra Glen steadied to kick the last 4 goal of the game and become Second Division Premiers for 2010. Yarra Glen’s captain Grant Braden was adjudged best on ground in a dominant four quarter ruck display.

Yarra Glen coach Dean De Munk in his first year at Yarra Glen set high expectations from the outset and was both relieved and tremendously proud and happy about his clubs’ achievements. This is Dean’s first success as either a player or coach in 21 years of senior football. De Munk said that the support he got from his assistant coaches Darren Edwards and Adam Easton was instrumental in the club’s accomplishments this season. De Munk said that he also took pride in lifting the performances of several players who had in recent years played reserves football but became highly valued seniors players this season. Yarra Glen President Mark Mays was full of praise for his players and coach. Mays said ‘the club worked hard all year as one’ and that the efforts of everyone helped the club achieve this season. Mays is also thinking 2011 and is keen to ensure his club is competitive in Division One and that the club realises some major projects currently on the drawing board including new club rooms and netball court.

Reserves
Seville 9.4.58 defeated Yarra Glen 8.5.53. This game was full of pressure from start to end. The game ebbed and flowed and it looked as though Seville was getting on top in the second quarter as they got out to a 4 goal lead before Yarra Glen hit back with the last 3 goals of the quarter and at half time the margin was just 6 points in Seville’s favor. The 2nd half was nail biting stuff as neither side could string consecutive goals together to get a break and that’s the way it played out to the final siren with the game in the balance right to the end. Unfortunately this was one of those games where there didn’t deserve to be a loser but a fitting Grand Final put on by 2 great combatants with the spoils going to Seville. Seville’s best: Nick Paisley (best on ground), Ben Walsh and Scott Troyahn. Yarra Glen’s best: Jimmy Marks, Phil Driscoll and Michael Holt.

Under 18
Emerald 9.8.62 defeated Seville 9.8.62. Seville may have been undefeated but that didn’t seem to worry Emerald as they were outstanding from the opening bounce. They got on the scoreboard early and jumped out to a 19 point lead at quarter time kicking with the aid of a slight breeze. Emerald played a brilliant defensive game against the breeze and didn’t let Seville get any run going, Seville did outscore Emerald in the quarter but it was by just 4 points and Emerald did look in control. The 3rd quarter saw Emerald score 2 goals to Seville’s 1 but that did push the margin out to 4 goals and Seville had only booted 4 goals for the game up until then so it was going to be a long haul back from there. Seville did give it their all in the last quarter and actually did look threatening at times but Emerald did manage 1 goal for the quarter and that was enough to stave off any chance of a comeback. Emerald takes out the 2010 Under 18 Premiership with a brilliant 16 point victory. Emerald’s best: Jarrod Donders (best on ground), Andrew Alenson and Luke McKenna. Seville’s best: Ben Abbruzzese, Brayden Schembri and Dean Cecere.

Division One

Seniors
Woori Yallock 12.16.88 defeated Upwey Tecoma 11.9.75. A great hard fought game of footy that could have gone either way. The first quarter went goal for goal with Woori holding just a 4 point lead at the first break. Woori started to look like they were starting to take control but they couldn’t put a sizeable margin between themselves and Upwey as every time they looked to be getting on top Upwey would hit back and at half time the margin was just 10 points in Woori’s favour. The 2nd half was heart stopping stuff as the game went goal for goal right to the final siren but it was Woori Yallock that was able to hold on and come away with a 13 point victory and have earnt the right to tackle Gembrook Cockatoo next week in what will be a huge First Division Grand Final. Woori Yallock’s best: Robert Allen, Danny Ryan and Michael Riseley. Upwey Tecoma’s best: Tom Hedge, Daniel Sheers and Joshua Kamoen.

Reserves
Warburton Millgrove 10.8.68 defeated Olinda Ferny Creek 7.9.51. Warby progress through to the Grand Final to take on Monbulk after their 17 point victory over Olinda. In a tight contest with Olinda getting off to the better start and holding a 14 point lead at the first change. Warby hit back in the 2nd term holding Olinda scoreless while they scored 2.3 to have the game all tied up at half time. The 3rd quarter was tight with neither side able to get on top and at the last change it was Warby by just 3 points. Warby finished the day with more run in their legs as they kicked away with 4 last quarter goals to 1 to finish the game in fine fashion. Warburton Millgrove’s best: Corrie Crunden, Nicolas Toy and Adam Humphrey. Olinda Ferny Creek’s best: Steve Gannell, Kirk Irvin and Darren Reid.

Under 18
Healesville 9.18.72 defeated Upwey Tecoma 2.5.17. Neither side hit their stride in the first half with both teams struggling to deliver any scoreboard pressure with the half time score reading Healesville 2.5.17 to Upwey 1.4.10. After the half it was Healesville that took complete control, they started to play more direct hard running football and it showed on the scoreboard as they booted 7 second half goals and held Upwey to just one to win by a comfortable 55 points to progress through to the Grand Final to play Olinda Ferny Creek next week. Healesville’s best: Tom Costigan, Jake Chandler and Trent Krikas. Upwey Tecoma’s best: Kris O’Brien, Thomas Robinson and Jake Hinton.

YVMDFNL Netball Wrap - 11 & 12 September

Powelltown are officially the Division 2 Netball Champions in all grades with an awesome display of netball prowess. In front of a huge crowd Powelltown delivered three outstanding efforts to beat a determined Yea in all three grades of netball.

Division Two

A Grade

The grand final between Powelltown and Yea was both exciting and compelling – neither team could be separated, not even at the final siren when the game was a tie. It was almost goal-for-goal for the game’s entirety as turnovers and interceptions were crucial; but the Powelltown girls found a way to break through during the 7 minute each way time on after the final quarter, winning the game 58 – 56 in what was an amazing grand final. Sam Hansen was outstanding for Powelltown and was declared best on court with a devastating display of goal shooting.

B Grade
In a game that eventually saw the winning team win by 9 goals, the match was exciting as Powelltown and Yea played it out for the premiership. The Powelltown girls proved to be too strong for their opponents, with their goallers being more accurate than their Yea counterparts. With defenders for both teams being under the pump all day, it eventually saw Powelltown win 43 – 34. Nicole Hadjer of Powelltown was adjudged best on court with a comprehensive performance playing in Goal Attack.

C Grade
With both clubs having all their netball teams playing finals, Powelltown and Yea played one another in a great game in the C grade as well. Unlike the other two grand finals, the Powelltown girls in this grade were simply too strong for the likes of Yea, dominating much of the play. Powelltown won the grand final by 11 goals, 27 – 16. Powelltown’s Corrine Tesselaar was named best player with a tremendous four quarter performance as Goal Shooter.

Division One

A Grade

Upwey Tecoma met Wandin in the preliminary final, and just as all finals should be, this game went down to the wire. Both teams played at their absolute best, and many times over the course of the game the score changed back and forth between the two teams. However, there could only be one winner, and that was Wandin, who won the match 44 – 39 in a heart-stopper.

B Grade
Playing for a spot in the grand final, Wandin and Upwey Tecoma played against one another at Healesville. At every break these two teams could not be separated, with the goallers and defenders of both teams working hard to score and to prevent their opponents from scoring. Winning the game 38 – 36, Upwey Tecoma will now be playing against Mount Evelyn in the grand final.

C Grade
Finishing the season in second spot, the Wandin girls have had a great finals series – and heading into this game, they needed to defeat Olinda Ferny Creek to gain a spot against Upwey Tecoma in the grand final. Wandin proved to be too strong for their opponents as the game progressed, thus winning the game 25 – 17 in what was a good win for the girls.

3MDR 97.1 Match of the Day
Sunday 19 September

Division One Grand Final
Venue - Woori Yallock Football Ground

Seniors
Gembrook Cockatoo v Woori Yallock

Reserves
Monbulk v Warburton Millgrove

Under 18
Olinda Ferny Creek v Healesville

Listen in from 10am to Leo, Tony & Ed call the game or online at
www.3mdr.com

YVMDFNL Division One Grand Final
Sunday 19 September at Woori Yallock Football Ground

Football

9:45am - Under 18
Olinda Ferny Creek v Healesville

11:55am - Reserves
Monbulk v Warburton Millgrove

2:30pm - Seniors
Gembrook Cockatoo v Woori Yallock
Note: Woori Yallock to use Home Rooms and wear White Shorts

Netball

9:45am - C Grade

Upwey Tecoma v Wandin

10:50am - B Grade
Mount Evelyn v Upwey Tecoma

12:15pm - A Grade
Mount Evelyn v Wandin

Calm down gentlemen we dont want a repeat of last year. Duke settle and dont let your club down with silly comments.

Good luck to them & good luck to all involved in YVMDFL grandfinal's this week.

Go Pies......

Calm down gentlemen we dont want a repeat of last year. Duke settle and dont let your club down with silly comments.

Good luck to them & good luck to all involved in YVMDFL grandfinal's this week.

Go Pies......
Great post Footy Rules! nothing like having a level head, instead of getting caught up in a P00 flinging contest!! And if there is a God the mighty Pies will win tonight and the Green Machine on Sunday:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a look on the VCFL website and didn't find anything to do with Slvan, but did come across an interesting paper - Player Remuneration Guide.

158 clubs were surveyed and 40% of them said that they withheld tax from player payments and issued group certificates. 20% claimed they pay 9% super.

I wonder how many YVMDFL clubs comply with tax and superannuation law, or if it comes up in discussions with a new recruit that they will be taxed on their payments?

The EFL website announces the inclusion of Silvan into their 4th division

I know it's all been discussed ad nauseum on this forum over the past twelve months, but I'm still of a mind that Silvan's leaving the Yarra Valley is regrettable. As an outsider looking in I'm not convinced it's the right decision for them. However, be that as it may, the Silvan committee and members believe that this is the correct way forward for them and I respect their right to make that decision and to take the action they have. I hope that their move to the EFL works for them in the way they hope it to, and that we can finally remove ourselves from the acrimonious exchanges that have taken place on this forum over the past year. I wish them well and good luck in their new comp.

Wholeheartedly agree, McCavity: (with the added rider that I hope they get it out of their system and then come back where I believe they really belong.)

I also agree. Silvan was one of the best grounds to watch a game at too.

Some of observations from last week:
* The siren at Gembrook sounds more like a vexed water-bird than an oncoming train. Its not very loud. I'll buy them a decent one if they want.
* White is a good colour for umpire uniforms. I was at an EFL game recently and their umpires look like umpires in white and red. Ours look like they're about to embark upon an expedition to climb K2. Who thinks orange is good?
* I like the idea of playing music over the PA before the match (and the selected music confirms that nothing decent has been released since 2000), but not right up until the siren sounds to start the match. Its good to have a minute or two of silence to build the mood before the game starts instead of listening to Fat Bottomed Girls fading out as the umpire raises the ball.

* The siren at Gembrook sounds more like a vexed water-bird than an oncoming train. Its not very loud. I'll buy them a decent one if they want.

At the end of one quarter last week I had to run over to Biff because he couldn't hear that it was the end of the quarter.

* White is a good colour for umpire uniforms. I was at an EFL game recently and their umpires look like umpires in white and red. Ours look like they're about to embark upon an expedition to climb K2. Who thinks orange is good?

After years (and years) of white, it's nice to have a change. But yes, I do feel like I've just received my forklift licence. K2 - appropriate for Kinglake perhaps??? :D

* I like the idea of playing music over the PA before the match (and the selected music confirms that nothing decent has been released since 2000), but not right up until the siren sounds to start the match. Its good to have a minute or two of silence to build the mood before the game starts instead of listening to Fat Bottomed Girls fading out as the umpire raises the ball.

I liked the music - but being more of a techno head, would have loved a bit of Armin van Buuren or DJ Tiesto!;)

Our current siren came integrated with the new scoreboard when it was installed at the start of 2009. This is the first time I've ever heard the volume of the siren mentioned as a potential problem. I noticed that MIW also mentioned it in his reply. MIW can you let me know if has this been identified as an issue by any of the umpiring fraternity amongst themselves? No one in our playing group has ever suggested (as far as I know) that the siren is difficult to hear. If there is an issue, we'll certainly investigate it.

Music was good I though watching from the sides & at least the umpires stand out bloody bright! The need to play some more footy songs though... Cause its not a disco or a rock concert!

Our current siren came integrated with the new scoreboard when it was installed at the start of 2009. This is the first time I've ever heard the volume of the siren mentioned as a potential problem. I noticed that MIW also mentioned it in his reply. MIW can you let me know if has this been identified as an issue by any of the umpiring fraternity amongst themselves? No one in our playing group has ever suggested (as far as I know) that the siren is difficult to hear. If there is an issue, we'll certainly investigate it.

Hasn't been brought up on the track as an issue. I suspect it was more a combination of factors - maybe the breeze was blowing the other way and more crowd noise than usual.

Hasn't been brought up on the track as an issue. I suspect it was more a combination of factors - maybe the breeze was blowing the other way and more crowd noise than usual.
The Brookers learned a bit from last year, so this season they haven't been trumpeting quite as loud.... :D

PS About to hit the jim jams. The Cats are copping a flogging.

Saw a great game of footy today good crowd good umpires country footy at its best.Felt wooris poor kicking kept the game closer than it should of been.numbers 8,5,33 very good for woori well done to monkey whos son also done well top stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back