Yarra Valley - Mountain District FL Forum 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benalla DFL is definetly disbanding.

Also heard Panton Hill were considering moving back to YVMDFL. Anyone else heard this?

As a former Panton Hill supporter, it would be a silly move for them to go back to the YVMDFL, considering the excessive travel (Yea, Powelltown, Thornton/Eildon, Alexandra & Bonnie Doon) for a club that's only 35 minutes out of Melbourne, also the fact that nearly all of the club's player & supporter base is from the North Eastern Suburbs (also, the only clubs that are close to Panton Hill are Kinglake & Yarra Glen).

It's good to see Kinglake do well, and it no doubt looks tempting when you in the NFL getting flogged, but I can't see them leaving either in the long or short term.

Also, they've got Juniors in the Northern League, so any move would put that in doubt, I think that this rumour was started by some trolls on the NFL board.

As a former Panton Hill supporter, it would be a silly move for them to go back to the YVMDFL, considering the excessive travel (Yea, Powelltown, Thornton/Eildon, Alexandra & Bonnie Doon) for a club that's only 35 minutes out of Melbourne, also the fact that nearly all of the club's player & supporter base is from the North Eastern Suburbs (also, the only clubs that are close to Panton Hill are Kinglake & Yarra Glen).

It's good to see Kinglake do well, and it no doubt looks tempting when you in the NFL getting flogged, but I can't see them leaving either in the long or short term.

Also, they've got Juniors in the Northern League, so any move would put that in doubt, I think that this rumour was started by some trolls on the NFL board.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up Cletus.

Guru it was a well organised venue, as expected. Ray & his club can be well proud of the facilities and the best sausage rolls & pies all season.

Hope they get to stay up in Div 1 as it was great up there Saturday and in Rd 1.

Super friendly and well run club.

I have heard a bit of a whisper up this way that the club wouldn't mind staying up in Divvy 1 but there are a few players who aren't real keen on that again after this year - will be interesting to see what happens as I would of thought Olinda or Kinglake would go up should they win this week with both sides seemingly in strong positions on and off the field especially Olinda who would almost be odds on to take all 3 flags home which would be a great effort

Also BDFL is 100% disbanding and Bonnie Doon have applied to the YVMDFL I believe (on website and on an earlier post) but with each club getting a vote on whether they come or not it would be very doubtful if that they would/could win that vote. The Ovens and King league looks more likely for them at this stage

I dont have any solid info on the Benalla league ManInWhite, so probably should have worded my post differently. I was just pointing out what you said in your last sentence. If the Benalla league does go under there might be a few moves allowed this year.

Yes, but if there were any special exemptions applied, I think they would be from ex Benalla clubs joining EFL (or other comps) - not an existing YVMDFL team trying to move. At the end of the day, Silvan isn't homeless so there isn't a pressing need to find them a comp unlike the Benalla teams.

From what I've been able to gather, it's starting to appear that Silvan really want to move leagues so they don't have to travel so far and I don't think that would fall into a special consideration category.

Wouldn't O&K be more appealing for Bonnie Doon? Or merging with Yea?

The VCFL are disbanding the Benalla and District League-Bonnie Doon were asked to look at joining the Ovens and King but knocked it back-hence their approach to us.

From the YVMDFL re Bonnie Doon-

Bonnie Doon Football Club – Expression of Interest

The Bonnie Doon Football Club (BDFC) has approached the YVMDFL and expressed an interest to join the YVMDFL in 2010. Representatives from BDFC met with the YVMDFL Board on August 3, 2009. As a consequence of that meeting, BDFC are to submit a proposal to the YVMDFL for distribution to all YVMDFL clubs. BDFC were advised that their case would need to be a compelling one to win the support of current YVMDFL clubs. If there was a positive response from YVMDFL clubs, the process would be formalised and addressed at the YVMDFL AGM. If the response from YVMDFL clubs was not supportive of BDFC endeavours, then that would allow BDFC to seek other avenues in a timely fashion.

Bonnie Doon Football Club currently plays in the Benalla & District Football League which is being dissolved at the completion of the 2009 season.

Benalla DFL is definetly disbanding.

Also heard Panton Hill were considering moving back to YVMDFL. Anyone else heard this?

Was told on the weekend that it was Panton Hill, Garfield and Bonnie Doone that will be entering sides in the YVMDFL next season.

I have heard a bit of a whisper up this way that the club wouldn't mind staying up in Divvy 1 but there are a few players who aren't real keen on that again after this year - will be interesting to see what happens as I would of thought Olinda or Kinglake would go up should they win this week with both sides seemingly in strong positions on and off the field especially Olinda who would almost be odds on to take all 3 flags home which would be a great effort

Also BDFL is 100% disbanding and Bonnie Doon have applied to the YVMDFL I believe (on website and on an earlier post) but with each club getting a vote on whether they come or not it would be very doubtful if that they would/could win that vote. The Ovens and King league looks more likely for them at this stage

I agree that the winner of the 2nd Division G F should come up, I think the rules were changed large year to make this happen unless there is an extraordinary reason for a club to stay down.

However if Silvan did manage to move on it would then be up to the board to work out if Alex stayed up or the runner up from Div 2 came up.

By the way I certainly heard that Alex ran a great day, and the attendees were not bothered by the travel (only the booze bus set up on the outskirts of Alex)

Catpower - are you applying to go into divi 4 of EFL or higher?
Its totally up to the EFL, we think we could hold our own in 3rd Div but the EFL have a bye in 4th div that they'd like to get rid of, so we may have to start in 4th divvy and see how we go from there Blue Tongue

Im having trouble with the league website as usual I find it #$%^house but leave that for another day.
I can see all the winners of the League B&F last night except for the seniors of both Div 1 & 2 is anyone else having the same issue.

Who were the winners for the seniors of both Div 1 & 2

Im having trouble with the league website as usual I find it #$%^house but leave that for another day.
I can see all the winners of the League B&F last night except for the seniors of both Div 1 & 2 is anyone else having the same issue.

Who were the winners for the seniors of both Div 1 & 2

Divvy 1 - Patrick Sharp

Divvy 2 - Scott Tregonning

I think that's who won them

Medal Night 2009 Results

Football.

Harold Ramage Medal
Winner: Patrick Sharp Woori Yallock
Runner Up: Craig Clarke Gembrook Cockatoo

Len Strattford Medal
Winner: Shaun Marcus Upwey Tecoma
Runner Up: John Robinson Gembrook Cockatoo

Ron Hunter Medal
Winner: Mitchell Thompson Gembrook Cockatoo
Runner Up: Benjamin Bedford-Lee Monbulk

Jim Wandin Medal
Winner: Scott Tregoning Olinda Ferny Creek
Runner Up: Justin Gates Yarra Junction

Alan Morgan Medal
Winner: Michael Maloney Kinglake
Runner Up: James Frankcombe Yea

Arthur Cowley Medal
Winners: Tommy Estcourt Seville and Brett Thompson Belgrave

Mark Darcy Medal
Winner: Brendan Woods Warburton Millgrove
Runner Up: Peter McLean Emerald

Netball.

Jodi Chandler Medal
Winner: Krista Tomlinson Upwey Tecoma
Runner Up: Melissa Gardner Wandin

Division 1 B Grade Netball
Winner: Naomi Ellis Upwey Tecoma
Runner Up: Emma Litterbach Gembrook Cockatoo

Division 1 C Grade Netball
Winner: Sally Buckland Mt Evelyn
Runner Up: Tayler Angus UpweyTecoma

Division 2 A Grade Netball
Winner: Megan O'Bree Yea
Runner Up: Kathy Brown Thornton Eildon

Division 2 B Grade Netball
Winner: Tania Hoare Yarra Junction
Runner Up: Melissa Sneddon Yarra Junction

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3MDR Matches of the Weekend -12 & 13 September

Tune into 3MDR 97.1FM every Saturday from 2pm and listen to Leo, Tony & Ed call the match of the Day.

Saturday 12/9/09 Division 2 GRAND FINAL
Olinda Ferny Creek V Kinglake
Woori Yallock Football Ground, 2.10pm

Sunday 13/9/09 Division 1 Preliminary Final
Woori Yallock V Monbulk
Gembrook Cockatoo Football Ground, 2.10pm

Football Wrap - 5 & 6 of September

1st Division Finals

Seniors
Upwey Tecoma v Woori Yallock
Upwey Tecoma 21.13.139 defeated Woori Yallock 12.7.79. Upwey put in a great performance to easily account for Woori Yallock who would have given themselves every chance after their stirring win against Monbulk the week before. Upwey lead by just 4 points after an even first quarter but after that Upwey took complete control. Upwey slammed on 7 goals to 2 in the second term and followed that up with a 6 goal to 4 3rd quarter to put the game well out of reach , with a 56 point lead going into the last quarter. The last term both teams went through the motions as there was no doubt about the result. 4 goals a piece for the quarter ended the day with Upwey now advancing to the Grand Final as Woori Yallock will now take on Monbulk for the 3rd time in 4 weeks for another chance to get to the big day. Upwey’s best: Daniel Sheers, Wade Porter and Steven Brotja. Woori’s best: Richard Schroth, Danny Ryan and Michael King.

Monbulk v Mount Evelyn
Monbulk 13.19.97 defeated Mount Evelyn 11.10.76. In one of the most amazing games of the season Monbulk came from nowhere to storm home and win in an incredible game. Mount Evelyn played all over the top of Monbulk in the first half and in fact held Monbulk goalless up to half time. Mount Evelyn looked in control as they scored 6.6 for the half and went into half time with a 35 point lead. Mount Evelyn kicked the first goal in the 3rd quarter and it looked as though the Mounters were going to run away with the game. The game took a complete turn for the rest of the quarter as Monbulk played their most impressive football for the year, their run and carry was superb and Mount Evelyn found themselves chasing all of a sudden. Monbulk booted an amazing 9.3 for the quarter as Mount Evelyn only added 2.1 to see their 35 point margin at the half turn into a 15 point deficit going into the last quarter. Mount Evelyn was kicking with the wind in the last but Monbulk was inspired and in fact outscored Mount Evelyn 4 goals to 3 in the final term to win in one of their best come from behind victories ever. Monbulk now take on Woori Yallock for a chance to meet Upwey Tecoma in the Grand Final. Monbulk’s best: Kieran Gray, Jason Fraser and Vincent Dunstan. Mount Evelyn’s best: Jarred Barden, Jarrod Sneddon and Shaun Jones.

Reserves
Upwey Tecoma v Monbulk
Upwey Tecoma 13.13.91 defeated Monbulk 2.4.16. From the outset it looked like Upwey had Monbulks measure. Although Upwey only managed 3 goals for the opening quarter they held Monbulk to just 1 behind. The second quarter was almost a carbon copy of the first with another 3 goals to Upwey but this time Monbulk was held scoreless. Upwey put on another 3 goals in the 3rd as Monbulk kicked their 1st and only goal for the quarter. Upwey added another 4 goals in the last quarter as Monbulk kicked 1. An impressive consistent 4 quarter game from Upwey as they now progress through to the Grand Final. Monbulk get one more chance against Healesville next week. Upwey’s best: Shaun Marcus, Lee O’Connor and Jacob Krijt. Monbulk’s best: David Brown, Timothy Greaves and Damien Smethurst.

Healesville v Gembrook Cockatoo
Healesville 14.7.91 defeated Gembrook Cockatoo 7.10.52. Healesville kicked themselves out of the game against Monbulk last week but this week they kicked a lot straighter and at quarter time they had 5 goals straight as compared to Gembrook’s 1.4. Healesville continued their good form in the 2nd quarter adding another 4 goals while Gembrook could only manage 1 goal. The second half was quite even with Healesville adding 6 goals to Gembrooks’s 5. Healesville’s start to the game was excellent which set them up for what was a comfortable win in the end. Healesville now meet Monbulk next week for a chance to advance to the Grand Final against Upwey. Healesville’s best: Beau Wilkinson, Ashley Taylor and Brad Wilkinson. Gembrook’s best: Mitchell Hedger, Christopher Mahlstedt and Wayne Robertson.

Under 18s
Upwey Tecoma v Mount Evelyn
Mount Evelyn 11.6.72 defeated Upwey Tecoma 4.10.34. Mount Evelyn got off to a flying start and had 5 goals on the board at quarter time but it was the fact that they held Upwey to just 2 behinds which was even more impressive. After quarter time both sides found goals hard to come by but it was Mount Evelyn that hit the scoreboard more frequently. Mount Evelyn added another 6 goals for the game as Upwey added 4 to see the Mounters win by a comfortable 38 points thanks to their outstanding start. Mount Evelyn now advances to the Grand Final as Upwey get another chance against Monbulk next week. Mount Evelyn’s best: Jayden Clarke, Matthew Grimwood and Lachlan Urquhart. Upwey’s best: Tom Barnard, Daniel Waters and Kris O’Brien.

Monbulk v Healesville
Monbulk 10.10.70 defeated Healesville 5.4.34. Even though the final margin was 6 goals it wasn’t until the final quarter that Monbulk kicked away. Monbulk did lead at every change but Healesville was only 2 points behind at quarter time, 16 points down at half time and 15 points down at 3 quarter time. Monbulk’s defense in the last quarter was first class as they held Healesville scoreless and added 3 goals themselves. Monbulk will now take on Upwey next week for a chance to play off in the Grand Final against Mount Evelyn as Healesville now look toward 2010. Monbulk’s best: Benjamin Bedford-Lee, Sam Whittington and Lachlan Henwood.

2nd Division Finals

Seniors
Kinglake V Seville
Kinglake 17.11.113 defeated Seville 7.9.51. Kinglake have been slow starters over the last few weeks and at quarter time of this game they were 2 points behind. After quarter time however it was all one way traffic as Kinglake kicked into action. A 6 goal to 2 second quarter followed by a 5 goal to 2 third put the game out of reach of Seville as they trailed by 45 points heading into the final term. Kinglake added anther 4 goals to Seville’s 1 in the last quarter to finish with a 62 point victory. Kinglake will go into the Grand Final next week against Olinda in what should be a cracking Grand Final. Kinglake’s best: Matthew Thomas, Brent Gallichio and Luke Nott. Seville’s best: Mark Cerece, Aaron Abbruzzese and Chris Tanner.

Reserves
Yarra Glen V Kinglake
Yarra Glen 9.8.62 defeated Kinglake 8.9.57. This was the 4th time these sides have met this season with Yarra Glen being victorious in the previous 3 encounters; each game was still in the balance deep into the game. This game proved no different, Yarra Glen kicked with the aid of the breeze in the first quarter and kicked 3.3 to Kinglake’s 2 behinds. Kinglake had the breeze in the 2nd and added 2.3 to Yarra Glen’s 2 behinds which saw Yarra Glen with a 6 point lead at the half. Yarra Glen added 5 goals in the 3rd but it was Kinglake that managed 4 goals against the breeze that gave them every chance going into the last only 14 points down. In a nail biting last quarter Kinglake attacked relentlessly but it was Yarra Glen’s defense that stood strong. Kinglake did have their chances as they kicked 2.4 for the quarter. Yarra Glen managed 1.1 to hold on in a game that was in the balance all day. Yarra Glen advances to the Grand Final to take on Olinda in what should be a great game. Yarra Glen’s best: Daniel Hurley, Jordan Rice and Richard Gurney. Kinglake’s best: Benjamin Munn, Ben Collins and Gavin Hodgson.

Under 18s
Seville v Emerald
Emerald 9.9.63 defeated Seville 8.10.58. What a fantastic game of football this was. There was nothing in this game all day; the biggest margin for the day was 12 points at half time Seville’s way. Emerald kicked with the assistance of the wind in the 3rd and kicked 4 goals to Seville’s 1. At 3 quarter time Emerald lead by just 7 points. The last quarter was a bruising encounter as both sides threw everything at each other. Emerald’s defense was outstanding as Seville could only manage 1 goal with the breeze. Seville had a chance to level the scores with only seconds to go as a shot on goal from just inside the centre square missed narrowly. Seville’s miss was Emerald’s gain as they held on to win by 5 points. Emerald will now attempt to go back to back next week as they play Olinda in the Grand Final. Emerald’s best: Matthew Livermore, Nick Jansen and Nick Green. Seville’s best: Dean Cecere, Christopher Pahi and Tommy Estcourt.

Netball Wrap - 5 & 6 of September

DIVISION ONE
Alexandra had the honour of hosting a semi final between Mount Evelyn and Wandin. The winner would see themselves straight into the grand final, whilst the loser had another chance. Mount Evelyn started off strong, with a few quick goals. Wandin came back however, and were determined to make it through the game with victory up there sleeves. This wasn’t the case however, as Mount Evelyn defeated Wandin, 58 – 43. Credit must be given to Mount Evelyn; they played with fantastic passages of play, and had great tactics. Wandin did well, and should be in a good position next week. Melissa Gardner shot 30 goals. Sharmini-Jane Philp was not up to her usual standard, however still shot 13 goals. For Mount Evelyn, Kate Youlton shot 32 goals, and Sarah Hogan shot 26 goals. Mount Evelyn is in the grand final now, and has a week off, while Wandin will play against Upwey Tecoma next week.

Warburton Millgrove went down to Upwey Tecoma in the semi final! Upwey were on fire as they continuously dominated the majority of the game, to win by 29 goals. Warburton had heart, however they were no match. The final score read Upwey 52, Warburton 23. Kiera Rawlings had a great game for Upwey, shooting 24 goals. Emma Hedge shot 16 goals, and Michelle Tomlinson shot 12 goals. Upwey have three consistent shooters, mentioned above, which will make them difficult to beat. For Warburton, Adele Collard gave it her best, shooing 16 goals. Melanie Hancock shot 6 goals, and Lauren Clinch shot 1 goal. The girls worked hard, and deserved to be in the semi. Upwey played brilliantly, and will match up with Wandin next week.

DIVISION TWO
Emerald played against Yea this week, in the Preliminary Final, at Gembrook. A close game, both teams wanted to win very badly. It was the end of the road for Yea this week however, as Emerald won by 5 goals. (Emerald 27, Yea 22) The game was well played by both teams, and as it goes in finals, the best team on the day won. Emerald had some good play happening, and Yea couldn’t top this. For Emerald, Beverley White shot 17 goals, and Kim Walker shot 10 goals. For Yea, Rhiannon Aldous shot 12 goals, and Cindy Hayes shot 10 goals. Emerald will need to work hard to win against Powelltown in the grand final this week, however should they play their best, it will be a ripper of a match.

Is there any way of getting the complete vote count for each category like in previous years? It's always fun to see some results of your teammates hard work.

Catzz and Catpower,
Please get over the persecution complex. You're better than that! Upwey is a perennial tall poppy, but they don't complain about being disliked or envied. It only reinforces that they are a great club deserving of envy.
But I am still trying to find a valid reason for your application to leave. You talk about facts but present only perceptions. Don't confuse the two.
The logic of your move escapes a lot of us. You've had a long history in the valley and despite some carping from a vocal minority, there have been a lot who have appreciated what you've achieved as a club in the past decade - myself included. The move only serves to erode that respect, particularly as you have not given a reason, and I know that personally I feel betrayed. I'm sure that the Board, amongst others, would be of the same mind.
All clubs have the right to determine their own course, but good clubs justify it with solid reasoning. Could you do this old supporter a justice and just tell me honestly why you are leaving?
There are many reasons why Silvan is looking at going to the EFL Monniehawk,some im not prepared to put up on the forum at this time, and as i have said the club has been looking at moving to the EFL for some time,the main reason is the recruiting & travel factor,most of our list live between Silvan & Croydon, not many live out towards Woori, whether we like it or not the travel factor is becoming a real issue, 80% of players who have left Silvan in the last 5 years have gone to the EFL & they've gone to all Divvys, so the standard is not really a factor, its because its close to home , you just gotta look at how many ex YVMDFL players will run out with Chirnside this week, they're got blokes from Silvan,Woori,Healsville,Warby,Mt eve just to name a few, while the travel is not such a big deal for people who have been in the valley for years its a major issue for young blokes coming through now, if you try and recruit a player that works Sat morning & lives in Croydon & tell him we play at Healsville, Warby, Gembrook, Alex,etc your probably not going to recruit him, but if we tell him we play The Basin,Kilsyth,Chirnside,Heathmont etc & the furthest he has to drive is Silvan he's more likely to come across. While there are many great people & clubs in the YVMDFL & it will be sad to lose that Monnie but the club has got to come 1st, and to what we believe will secure the long term future of the Silvan FC

There are many reasons why Silvan is looking at going to the EFL Monniehawk,some im not prepared to put up on the forum at this time, and as i have said the club has been looking at moving to the EFL for some time,the main reason is the recruiting & travel factor,most of our list live between Silvan & Croydon, not many live out towards Woori, whether we like it or not the travel factor is becoming a real issue, 80% of players who have left Silvan in the last 5 years have gone to the EFL & they've gone to all Divvys, so the standard is not really a factor, its because its close to home , you just gotta look at how many ex YVMDFL players will run out with Chirnside this week, they're got blokes from Silvan,Woori,Healsville,Warby,Mt eve just to name a few, while the travel is not such a big deal for people who have been in the valley for years its a major issue for young blokes coming through now, if you try and recruit a player that works Sat morning & lives in Croydon & tell him we play at Healsville, Warby, Gembrook, Alex,etc your probably not going to recruit him, but if we tell him we play The Basin,Kilsyth,Chirnside,Heathmont etc & the furthest he has to drive is Silvan he's more likely to come across. While there are many great people & clubs in the YVMDFL & it will be sad to lose that Monnie but the club has got to come 1st, and to what we believe will secure the long term future of the Silvan FC

Amazing that a Divi 1 club is using the excuse of travel - when you really have none, and have been considering such a move for 5 years, yet when its been put on the table at league meetings to go geographical they have always said travel is not an issue :rolleyes:

Just wanted to also sing the praises of Alexandra FNC and their hosting of the finals last weekend. Great day and well run by all concerned, was also great to note the cleanliness of the showers and toilets in the change rooms which is an area often overlooked by many clubs.

Also, the food served by the ladies in the canteen was superb!!

Alexandra FNC whilst having a disapointing year on field have certainly covered themselves in glory by the way they have acted off field and Saturday was certainly the icing on the cake.

Amazing that a Divi 1 club is using the excuse of travel - when you really have none, and have been considering such a move for 5 years, yet when its been put on the table at league meetings to go geographical they have always said travel is not an issue :rolleyes:
The travel issue is not a excuse, its one of many reasons Silvan has decided to move to the EFL, when we first started talking about the move 5 or 6 years ago the travel wasn't much of problem at all, as i said for people who have been around the valley for years the travel is no issue, but as fuel price's rise, unemployment rise's and with the world becoming bussier travel is now starting to become a problem, Silvan is also classed as part of the Melbourne metro suburbs,not a country town, so the club thinks it would be very benifical for Silvan to align itself in the strongest & best run Metro leagues in Australia;)

Thanks for the answers, Catpower. It doesn't really allay my disappointment, but I appreciate the gesture.
I guess I am more interested in - or more likely to be convinced by - the unstated reasons! The travel issue seems a secondary consideration and obviously didn't impede development of some outstanding squads in the past. If it is in the minds of members, then I think they have mentally conceded that the Cats will slip to 2nd Div with some pace.
I still think Silvan are making the wrong move for the wrong reasons, but I wish you all the best wherever you might end up.

May come down to what the VCFL wants

Well catpower and other silvan defendees (if thats a word) all i say to you as a loyal member and player of a minnow club in our league you have been up for a while handed out some merciless beatings and now your time has arrived to be the new whipping boys of the comp your running scared with excuses that are lame and utter crap like travel. Players will always come and go with crap excuses whatever comp you play in. You've managed your money poorly when you couldve been succesful for 10 years and setup a junior club and been competitive forever, so its your own fault i just find it extremely poor and weak to run now with this soft for our survival crap. We've lost quality kids to your club because of money as we dont pay 1 player on our list to them i say good riddance as we play for the jumper. The best thing is last year i heard you spent over $100,000 plus on players and 12 months down the track we would roll you by 5 goals.....
you may tell me to @&%* off and thats fine but i just thinks its a soft attitude and something im strongly against.... and i know some of the silvan boys and there good blokes but no loyalty and now it shows some of those boys wouldnt even have the phone number to some of there premiership teammates a year down the track i find it staggering and amusing!!!!!!

silvan are going and good luck to them.Have heard that YVMDFL board havn't even bothered to contact the club to see if this is true Seem's like YVMDFL arn't bothered if they go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back